• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freedom Of Speach.......Free Speach Zone

Campbell

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Atheists Unveil Fla Monument Near Ten Commandments - ABC News

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON Associated Press

STARKE, Fla. June 29, 2013 (AP)

A group of atheists unveiled a monument to their nonbelief in God on Saturday to sit alongside a granite slab that lists the Ten Commandments in front of the Bradford County courthouse.

As a small group of protesters blasted Christian country music and waved "Honk for Jesus" signs, the atheists celebrated what they believe is the first atheist monument allowed on government property in the United States.

"When you look at this monument, the first thing you will notice is that it has a function. Atheists are about the real and the physical, so we selected to place this monument in the form of a bench," said David Silverman, president of American Atheists.

It also serves another function — a counter to the religious monument that the New Jersey-based group wanted removed. It's a case of if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

American Atheists sued to try to have the stone slab with the Ten Commandments taken away from the courthouse lawn in this rural, conservative north Florida town best known for the prison that confines death row inmates. The Community Men's Fellowship erected the monument in what's described as a free speech zone. During mediation on the case, the atheist group was told it could have its own monument, too. (cont)

Last edited:
Atheists Unveil Fla Monument Near Ten Commandments - ABC News

By BRENDAN FARRINGTON Associated Press

STARKE, Fla. June 29, 2013 (AP)

A group of atheists unveiled a monument to their nonbelief in God on Saturday to sit alongside a granite slab that lists the Ten Commandments in front of the Bradford County courthouse.

As a small group of protesters blasted Christian country music and waved "Honk for Jesus" signs, the atheists celebrated what they believe is the first atheist monument allowed on government property in the United States.

"When you look at this monument, the first thing you will notice is that it has a function. Atheists are about the real and the physical, so we selected to place this monument in the form of a bench," said David Silverman, president of American Atheists.

It also serves another function — a counter to the religious monument that the New Jersey-based group wanted removed. It's a case of if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

American Atheists sued to try to have the stone slab with the Ten Commandments taken away from the courthouse lawn in this rural, conservative north Florida town best known for the prison that confines death row inmates. The Community Men's Fellowship erected the monument in what's described as a free speech zone. During mediation on the case, the atheist group was told it could have its own monument, too. (cont)

If having to share space with other beliefs and religions threatens christianity, if wishing someone who's beliefs and faith is unknown a "happy holiday" is a threat... why is the exclusion of other faiths and beliefs not attacks on them by christians?

It freakin cracks me up... Christianity survived the Romans in it's infancy, survived purges throughout history, survived the rise of protestantism, yet a Walmart greeter that says anything but merry christmas is a threat to their PERSONAL beliefs... If these folks ever met with the types of tyranny and oppression faced by christians in the past... they'd come completely unglued.

Good news on the atheist monument! Awesome that its a practical monument. Now we just need a sun-brella from the buddists, a chess table from the hindus, some cold brews from the Irish catholics... we might find common ground after all....

If having to share space with other beliefs and religions threatens christianity, if wishing someone who's beliefs and faith is unknown a "happy holiday" is a threat... why is the exclusion of other faiths and beliefs not attacks on them by christians?

It freakin cracks me up... Christianity survived the Romans in it's infancy, survived purges throughout history, survived the rise of protestantism, yet a Walmart greeter that says anything but merry christmas is a threat to their PERSONAL beliefs... If these folks ever met with the types of tyranny and oppression faced by christians in the past... they'd come completely unglued.

Good news on the atheist monument! Awesome that its a practical monument. Now we just need a sun-brella from the buddists, a chess table from the hindus, some cold brews from the Irish catholics... we might find common ground after all....

The common ground is that we all like a glass of good wine.....well, except the protestants and like sex, they lie about it.

You just haven't tried the right one yet...

i've tried all sorts over the last 40+ years... only one was drinkable.. a riesling.
still hated it though.
the wife loves wine, though.. 2 or 3 glasses every single night

gimme whiskey or gimme death.:)

Kind of cuts against the the whole "atheism is simply a lack of belief" thing, doesn't it?

OK, I've got to see what an atheist bench looks like, and the picture in the link in the OP is just too small. Let's see if I can bring it up here a bit bigger:

atheist bench.jpgStill pretty small, isn't it? I can see the representation of an atom, God's basic building block, on the back. How that promotes atheism, I'm not sure. Can anyone read what it says on the back?

There is no such thing as freedom of speach.

i've tried all sorts over the last 40+ years... only one was drinkable.. a riesling.
still hated it though.
the wife loves wine, though.. 2 or 3 glasses every single night

gimme whiskey or gimme death.:)

That's hilarious.... I have had the same experience. Even among Rieslings there is a huge variation. Though I don't hate other wines, there are many I can't pallet at all.

Kind of cuts against the the whole "atheism is simply a lack of belief" thing, doesn't it?

You're confused... atheism isn't a lack of belief, it's a lack of belief in a supreme being, it's a belief in reason, science, enlightenment, self determination, etc.

That's hilarious.... I have had the same experience. Even among Rieslings there is a huge variation. Though I don't hate other wines, there are many I can't pallet at all.

You're confused... atheism isn't a lack of belief, it's a lack of belief in a supreme being, it's a belief in reason, science, enlightenment, self determination, etc.

It is a belief that there is no God and now it has it's own monument.

OK, I've got to see what an atheist bench looks like, and the picture in the link in the OP is just too small. Let's see if I can bring it up here a bit bigger:

View attachment 67149611Still pretty small, isn't it? I can see the representation of an atom, God's basic building block, on the back. How that promotes atheism, I'm not sure. Can anyone read what it says on the back?

_h0_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg
w3xuVBQ.jpg

Atheists believe in all sorts of things, just not gods.

delete

Last edited:
It is a belief that there is no God and now it has it's own monument.

Isn't that what I said? But it's not that one dimensional, and...

How does that monument change your personal faith? Your monument doesn't affect mine in the least... accept that it leads one to think that maybe the government is endorsing one belief over all others.

I think most atheists believe in the same moral and ethical codes that christians and most other religions teach, they just don't need the threat of hell nor the promise of heaven to motivate them to do the right thing. Your first post just said they don't believe in anything. That's just not true...

Aha, there it is, big enough to read.

Now how could anyone object to such sentiment? Build a hospital instead of, or at least before, building a church? Do a deed instead of saying a prayer? Sounds like practicality to me.

Jesus Christ would agree wholeheartedly. Too bad most of his followers wont appreciate that.

A church is supposed to be a spiritual hospital, and there are many Christian medical hospitals in our area. I'll be visiting St. Mary's tomorrow.

Aha, there it is, big enough to read.

Now how could anyone object to such sentiment? Build a hospital instead of, or at least before, building a church? Do a deed instead of saying a prayer? Sounds like practicality to me.

What's "speach?"

Nonetheless, it seems a little attention whorish to me. A little too "Look at me! Look at me!"

What's "speach?"

Nonetheless, it seems a little attention whorish to me. A little too "Look at me! Look at me!"

No more so than a monument to the Ten Commandments or a Nativity scene has in front of any public building.

Back
Top Bottom