• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freedom Of Speach.......Free Speach Zone

Now how could anyone object to such sentiment? Build a hospital instead of, or at least before, building a church? Do a deed instead of saying a prayer? Sounds like practicality to me.

Atheists don't grasp the basic premise of faith, and since they can't understand it, pass judgement on those of us that do. If you don't believe in God, you can't understand the desire for a place to worship him. If you don't understand faith, you can't grasp the desire to pray.

This monument isn't a positive affirmation of atheism. It's a slap in the face to theists.

i've tried all sorts over the last 40+ years... only one was drinkable.. a riesling.
still hated it though.
the wife loves wine, though.. 2 or 3 glasses every single night

gimme whiskey or gimme death.:)

LOL! My ex mother-in-law would argue with anyone that the wine mentioned in the new testament was really grape juice, unfermented. I suppose she thought they had coolers when they used to cross a hot desert with a goat skin bag of wine. Also.....I don't know how it is now but Baptist churches used to use juice when the did their communion.

In the Jesus turning water into wine at the wedding thing a man came up to him and said "Most Serve Their Good Wine First And Wait Till Folks Are Drunk Before They Serve The Other But You Have Saved The Best For Last." Some people are so goddamned dumb.

No more so than a monument to the Ten Commandments or a Nativity scene has in front of any public building.

Putting up a religious monument isn't necessarily attention whoring.

Atheists getting all butthurt and feeling the need to put their little monument right next to the religious monument is attention whoring.

It's like the jealous neighbor who sees a brand new Ford Explorer next door, and then runs out to buy a newer Caddy Escalade.

What's "speach?"

Nonetheless, it seems a little attention whorish to me. A little too "Look at me! Look at me!"

Yeah, I have never seen a church erect a giant cross that says look at me look at me. Oh wait, check that I have never seen a town in the US without a church that erects a giant cross that says look at me. Then there is all the christians who wear their golden idols around their necks and on their T-shirts. let us not forget those who decorate their cars in pithy little jesus sayings and the in god we trust license plate. Then there are the inescapable holidays which are pretty much advertised until your eyes bleed. On top of that you have the people who love to hand out their little religious pamphlets. Then there are all the billboards. There is no bigger attention whore in america than the christian religions. Paris Hilton looks Amish in comparison to Christianity. Actually the whole of attention whoring celebrities look humble compared to christianity in the US. And you are bitching about a bench?

Yeah, I have never seen a church erect a giant cross that says look at me look at me. Oh wait, check that I have never seen a town in the US without a church that erects a giant cross that says look at me. Then there is all the christians who wear their golden idols around their necks and on their T-shirts. let us not forget those who decorate their cars in pithy little jesus sayings and the in god we trust license plate. Then there are the inescapable holidays which are pretty much advertised until your eyes bleed. On top of that you have the people who love to hand out their little religious pamphlets. Then there are all the billboards. There is no bigger attention whore in america than the christian religions. Paris Hilton looks Amish in comparison to Christianity. Actually the whole of attention whoring celebrities look humble compared to christianity in the US. And you are bitching about a bench?

Right here by I-75 south near Cleveland Tennessee there's a big white steel and stone cross that stands at least 100ft. high. Another big passel of donated money pissed away.

Yeah, I have never seen a church erect a giant cross that says look at me look at me. Oh wait, check that I have never seen a town in the US without a church that erects a giant cross that says look at me. Then there is all the christians who wear their golden idols around their necks and on their T-shirts.
All forms of private property (if there even is such a thing, in Lord Obama's Empire).

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass how religious groups or people display their faith. It's theirs, it's genuine, and I'm fine with that. The vast majority of religious people do not try to impress their faiths on others (even though the leftist ilk refuses to believe that). That being said, it seems that atheists have some vendetta against any religious symbols, just because they're there. Their vendetta is fueled by some sort of jealousy where they have to be represented just as much as the other guy is. Kinda like how a sibling will cry like a baby when his brother gets a present for his birthday, but he didn't get a present too.

I never said the bench shouldn't be there. What I meant was that it was some sort of grudge statement saying "Look at me! We're here and we hate these other guys! Look! Look at our ironic statement that mimics theirs! Look at me! Look at me!"

let us not forget those who decorate their cars in pithy little jesus sayings and the in god we trust license plate. Then there are the inescapable holidays which are pretty much advertised until your eyes bleed. On top of that you have the people who love to hand out their little religious pamphlets. Then there are all the billboards. There is no bigger attention whore in america than the christian religions. Paris Hilton looks Amish in comparison to Christianity. Actually the whole of attention whoring celebrities look humble compared to christianity in the US. And you are bitching about a bench?
Sounds like I hit a little too close to home with you, in regards to calling athiest "attention whores," hmmm?

If it's a free speech zone, and if the Jews can have their ten commandments, and the Christians their crosses, why can't the atheists have their own monument? What's the difference?

Why, indeed, couldn't the Rastafarians put up a huge doobie?

Putting up a religious monument isn't necessarily attention whoring.

Atheists getting all butthurt and feeling the need to put their little monument right next to the religious monument is attention whoring.

It's like the jealous neighbor who sees a brand new Ford Explorer next door, and then runs out to buy a newer Caddy Escalade.

Well, thats a very ethnocentric viewpoint. (Defined by William G. Sumner as "the technical name for the view of things in which one's own group is the center of everything, and all others are scaled and rated with reference to it.")

Essentially, it is "normal and therefore unobtrusive for my religious monument to be clearly visible in a highly public place," but that "other guy?" His stuff is attention whoring. LOL

I reiterate, placement of that athiest monument is no more attention whoring than placement of your religious icons is. You just think it is.

All forms of private property (if there even is such a thing, in Lord Obama's Empire).

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass how religious groups or people display their faith. It's theirs, it's genuine, and I'm fine with that. The vast majority of religious people do not try to impress their faiths on others (even though the leftist ilk refuses to believe that). That being said, it seems that atheists have some vendetta against any religious symbols, just because they're there. Their vendetta is fueled by some sort of jealousy where they have to be represented just as much as the other guy is. Kinda like how a sibling will cry like a baby when his brother gets a present for his birthday, but he didn't get a present too.

I never said the bench shouldn't be there. What I meant was that it was some sort of grudge statement saying "Look at me! We're here and we hate these other guys! Look! Look at our ironic statement that mimics theirs! Look at me! Look at me!"

Sounds like I hit a little too close to home with you, in regards to calling athiest "attention whores," hmmm?

If a small bench is attention whoring then christians are the worst of the bunch. Don't get mad because your statement was clearly hypocritical. I never said anything about what they were doing being against the law or even wrong by american standards. It is quite tacky and attention whorish to have to make everything about religion which the church and most of it's followers clearly do. What is even worse is that their own savior jesus himself would have been the first to speak out against the idolation and worship of the grand cathedrals and overwhelming flashy proselytizing of the attention whore crazies in the christian church. Humility is not something the church has. So before you go casting your stones over a bench you might want to remember how the church used money in donations for charity and how many people they could feed without spending on gaudy monuments to the ten commandments every inch of this country. Atheists do not claim to be in it for humility, compassion, or charity like the christians do. Do not get mad at me because i point out the clear hypocrisy of christian attention whoring. You can feel whatever way you want about the bench and it's meaning, but don't throw stones when you live in such a fragile glass house, oh and the kettle called and said something about you being black. Live up to your own standards for a change.

It is free speech so do not blame others when you humiliate yourself.

Right here by I-75 south near Cleveland Tennessee there's a big white steel and stone cross that stands at least 100ft. high. Another big passel of donated money pissed away.

I am pretty sure I know that cross. It is certaibnly not the worst of the christian monoliths across the country on the side of the highway. You should see I-10 in florida. there is not a 20 mile stretch without a billboard for jesus, and that is not counting the anti-abortion billboards. You would think they were buying their way into heaven with advertising money. It is amazing how some of them have the nerve to pitch a fit and try to shame atheists for a bench in one small place you probably can't see if you get more than 100 feet away from it.

I am pretty sure I know that cross. It is certaibnly not the worst of the christian monoliths across the country on the side of the highway. You should see I-10 in florida. there is not a 20 mile stretch without a billboard for jesus, and that is not counting the anti-abortion billboards. You would think they were buying their way into heaven with advertising money. It is amazing how some of them have the nerve to pitch a fit and try to shame atheists for a bench in one small place you probably can't see if you get more than 100 feet away from it.

I vacationed in FL for at least 45 years. I definitely know what you mean. In most southern states it's not the least bit uncommon to run up on a "Jesus Is Coming Soon" sign. I always want to remind them that in the new testament it says in Matthew "This Generation Shall Not Pass Till The End Comes"

In other words they've just about worn that dose of bull**** out.

If it's a free speech zone, and if the Jews can have their ten commandments, and the Christians their crosses, why can't the atheists have their own monument? What's the difference?

Why, indeed, couldn't the Rastafarians put up a huge doobie?

I think they can (and indeed have). I've just noticed that several atheists, when encountering disagreement, tell us that it is nothing but a mere lack of belief and not antagonism toward religious belief itself. If you read the article linked in the OP, the antagonism (from both sides) is clearly there. I don't mind if there's a monument to atheism, or atheist clubs or evangelical atheists that preach atheism with religious fervor, just don't bash organized religion for doing those same things.

I think they can (and indeed have). I've just noticed that several atheists, when encountering disagreement, tell us that it is nothing but a mere lack of belief and not antagonism toward religious belief itself. If you read the article linked in the OP, the antagonism (from both sides) is clearly there. I don't mind if there's a monument to atheism, or atheist clubs or evangelical atheists that preach atheism with religious fervor, just don't bash organized religion for doing those same things.

My maternal grandmother began to brainwash me with that hogwash when I was an infant about two years old. If I made a mistake or did something she didn't like she admonished me, "Ol' Scratch Will Get You!" When I was in the third and fourth grades at Milan Tennessee in the early 40's the teachers started the day with the pledge of allegiance and the lord's prayer. On Monday's the class was each assigned a bible verse to memorize and recite back to the class on Fridays. Christmas and Easter celebrations, prayers before any public event, reinforcement by preachers, teachers and other authority figures. What chance does an innocent child have

I lived in the church for most of my adult life. We tithed our gross plus gifts to Lottie Moon and other selected missions, I was a Sunday school teacher for young adults, I coached and refereed for RA boys, I was a member of the brotherhood and the building committee, I visited those who were sick on Tuesdays, Prayer meetings on Wednesdays, I gave personal testimony at small churches in towns close by and I had most of the new testament committed to memory while I was still in my twenties. When time came to be drafted the preacher wanted me to become an ordained Baptist preacher but you know what I decided...to go into the army. I never believed all that major bull**** about prophesy, virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walking on water, turning water into fine wine, raising from the dead, feeding 6000-8000 with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers, hanging a man on a tree, bleeding him like a hog then seeing him fit as a fiddle two days later, etc. If the universal god dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has a helluva sense of humor.

I stayed in the church till I was over 60 years old and I used to sit in the pews on Sunday mornings and wonder how in the world intelligent people actually believed all that bull****.

My maternal grandmother began to brainwash me with that hogwash when I was an infant about two years old. If I made a mistake or did something she didn't like she admonished me, "Ol' Scratch Will Get You!" When I was in the third and fourth grades at Milan Tennessee in the early 40's the teachers started the day with the pledge of allegiance and the lord's prayer. On Monday's the class was each assigned a bible verse to memorize and recite back to the class on Fridays. Christmas and Easter celebrations, prayers before any public event, reinforcement by preachers, teachers and other authority figures. What chance does an innocent child have

I lived in the church for most of my adult life. We tithed our gross plus gifts to Lottie Moon and other selected missions, I was a Sunday school teacher for young adults, I coached and refereed for RA boys, I was a member of the brotherhood and the building committee, I visited those who were sick on Tuesdays, Prayer meetings on Wednesdays, I gave personal testimony at small churches in towns close by and I had most of the new testament committed to memory while I was still in my twenties. When time came to be drafted the preacher wanted me to become an ordained Baptist preacher but you know what I decided...to go into the army. I never believed all that major bull**** about prophesy, virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walking on water, turning water into fine wine, raising from the dead, feeding 6000-8000 with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers, hanging a man on a tree, bleeding him like a hog then seeing him fit as a fiddle two days later, etc. If the universal god dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has a helluva sense of humor.

I stayed in the church till I was over 60 years old and I used to sit in the pews on Sunday mornings and wonder how in the world intelligent people actually believed all that bull****.

Hmmmm, interesting, but I'm forced to ask, what does that have to do with what I posted?

Hmmmm, interesting, but I'm forced to ask, what does that have to do with what I posted?

I'm agnostic. I don't know and you don't either. There's no way that non Christians ever step on the toes of believers 20% of the number of times Christians push into the non belief of others.

If the universal god dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has a helluva sense of humor.

Best quote of the day!

"If the universal god dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has a helluva sense of humor."

Best quote of the day!

And it couldn't be truer if someone swore it on a bible :)

I think it is cool to have an area where any group can put in their own monuments and express their ideas. But I will be surprosed if the Atheist monument doesn't get seriously vandalized soon. Some folks just can't tolerate ideas that challenge their own effectively.

"If the universal god dropped by during the stone age and left the only keys to the kingdom with ignorant goat herders who believed in witchcraft and thought the earth was flat he has a helluva sense of humor."

And it couldn't be truer if someone swore it on a bible :)

Mormons believe that he made another appearance in the 1830's and that he speaks to prophets today.

Mormons believe that he made another appearance in the 1830's and that he speaks to prophets today.

Yeah and Scientologists believe in something that started a zillion years ago when visitors came from another planet...a la Ron Hubbard. As far as the Mormons go...Sooooooey to the magic underwear!

There's a sucker born every minute and religion proves it.

anyone who spells speech "speach" twice in one sentence, and in a thread title, deserves to have their education seriously called into question. So, does anyone really take this guy's opinions on religion seriously?

Suryusly???? lol

anyone who spells speech "speach" twice in one sentence, and in a thread title, deserves to have their education seriously called into question. So, does anyone really take this guy's opinions on religion seriously?

Suryusly???? lol

I noticed that. I's further evidence of my basic high school education during which I worked 40-60 hours a week during my Jr. and Sr. years. I also served in the army in 1957/58 and the TN national guards till 1964. I was discharged a tank commander. I played dance band piano for over thirty years and I'm keying right now at 60-70 wpm. Yeah....I indeed did **** up that word's spelling.

English spelling is so convoluted and illogical that anyone should have a pass at a misspelled word now and again. Spell checkers do help, but they are far from perfect.

Aye awl weighs ewes a spell checker, butt my spelling still is naught write every thyme.

English spelling is so convoluted and illogical that anyone should have a pass at a misspelled word now and again. Spell checkers do help, but they are far from perfect.

Aye awl weighs ewes a spell checker, butt my spelling still is naught write every thyme.

Actually I used to be a pretty good speller. When I was 6-10 years old my mother used to let me sound syllables and spell the sounds. It got me through high school.

Actually I used to be a pretty good speller. When I was 6-10 years old my mother used to let me sound syllables and spell the sounds. It got me through high school.

Which is a monumental accomplishment in East Tennessee....kudos.

Back
Top Bottom