• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Freedom Fighters

LeftyHenry

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've heard alot recently from people about Iraqi insurgents being freedom fighters. First I heard it from Cindy Sheehan. Then I heard from a few other people claiming the same. Just thought it was an interesting way of looking at the insurgents. Your thoughts

It's a matter of opinion.

one man's freedom fighter ,is another's terrorist.

no rights no wrongs

I'm willing to bet that all those people you've heard from lean to the left. It wouldn't surprise me. The funny thing is that an anarcho-capitalist site that I visit the odd time had a poll on who should be named "The Freedom Fighter(s) of the Year?" There were 4 choices, 3 of whom I didn't recognize. The clear winner in the poll was the Iraqis who are defending their homeland.

I guess if the insurgency were solely composed of Iraqis, and they didn't intentionally target and murder civilians I could see how people consider them freedom fighters. I also think the term "freedom fighters" not only depends on the methods by which "freedom" is attained, but on what kind of gov't they will implement when their struggle is over. A renewed Baathist regime or Sharia law wouldn't be most people's idea of freedom.

curt said:
I'm willing to bet that all those people you've heard from lean to the left. It wouldn't surprise me. The funny thing is that an anarcho-capitalist site that I visit the odd time had a poll on who should be named "The Freedom Fighter(s) of the Year?" There were 4 choices, 3 of whom I didn't recognize. The clear winner in the poll was the Iraqis who are defending their homeland.

I guess if the insurgency were solely composed of Iraqis, and they didn't intentionally target and murder civilians I could see how people consider them freedom fighters. I also think the term "freedom fighters" not only depends on the methods by which "freedom" is attained, but on what kind of gov't they will implement when their struggle is over. A renewed Baathist regime or Sharia law wouldn't be most people's idea of freedom.

I don't think it matters what the terms are and how the "freedom fighters" obtain freedom, as long as they carry out a conflict to obtain such things.

Arch Enemy said:
I don't think it matters what the terms are and how the "freedom fighters" obtain freedom, as long as they carry out a conflict to obtain such things.

No, your right. Like terrorist, it's a very subjective label. I'm just too literal, so I'd prefer an all encompasing term based on principle and absolutes.

I'm just a freedom fighter
No remorse
Raging on in holy war
Soon there'll come a day
When you're face to face with
Face to face with me

Che said:
I've heard alot recently from people about Iraqi insurgents being freedom fighters. First I heard it from Cindy Sheehan. Then I heard from a few other people claiming the same. Just thought it was an interesting way of looking at the insurgents. Your thoughts

Here is an interesting question. Would the US government call America's founding father's "terrorists" if they existed today in the present and preached the same things that they preached before, during and just after the American Revolutionary War?

TimmyBoy said:
Here is an interesting question. Would the US government call America's founding father's "terrorists" if they existed today in the present and preached the same things that they preached before, during and just after the American Revolutionary War?

YOU!!!!

YOUR HELPING THE TERRORISTS!!!!!!!

YOU SHOULD BE ARRESTED FOR TREASON!!!!

THE MIDDLE EASTERN BOOGEY MAN DOES EXIST AND YOUR GIVING HIM AID.

WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

TimmyBoy said:

Did they preach killing anyone that disagreed with them, and targeting innocent woman and children?

There terrorist, not freedom fighters. I don't think they could care less about the future of Iraq. I think they are pushing there cause and thats whats important

Calm2Chaos said:
There terrorist, not freedom fighters. I don't think they could care less about the future of Iraq. I think they are pushing there cause and thats whats important

Very true but you fail to distinguish between the Iraqi insurgents fighting the occupiers and the foreign terrorists blowing up civilians. Osama et al don't care about the ordinary iraqis and are in Iraq to cause as much death and destruction as possible. Insurgent forces target US and Iraqi forces because they believe they are living under an occupation (also because some are former memebers of Saddams regime).
To label all these groups together is a complete distortion of the picture, indeed there is also bitter infighting between Sunni and Shia insurgencies, as well as between Shia/Sunni insurgencies themselves.

There are 3 groups of insurgents according to Bush. Rejectionists , who are the biggest group. Saddamist who are 2nd biggest, and Al Queda who are smallest but deadliest and are the ones who kill civilians.

Someone said that our founding fathers didn't kill those who didn't agree with them. Not true. Loyalists had to flee the country. Many loyalists were Quakers but were killed because revolutionaries thought that they would fight against America.

Also someone else said that the people I heard from about insurgents being freedom fighters were left leaning. This isn't true because the person who spoke out the most about Iraqis being freedom fighters was actually a conservative who didn't support the war

I don't know. The reports coming in are so distorted that its impossible to tell who is a freedom fighter and who is a terrorist. I don't consider those who use guerilla war tactics terrorists. I do consider those who purposefully target innocent civillians terrorists.

FinnMacCool said:
I don't know. The reports coming in are so distorted that its impossible to tell who is a freedom fighter and who is a terrorist. I don't consider those who use guerilla war tactics terrorists. I do consider those who purposefully target innocent civillians terrorists.

I agree.

There are no rules of engagement in a totalitarian war. Justice and democracy are supposed to serve a different purpose. To initiate such conflict without the benefit of a concise motive, without a clear resolution, it is just totalitarian at best. More commonly it is referred to as dictation. You abide by our political belief or else. This is definitely NOT what our founding fathers were intent upon.

Conflict said:
I agree.

There are no rules of engagement in a totalitarian war. Justice and democracy are supposed to serve a different purpose. To initiate such conflict without the benefit of a concise motive, without a clear resolution, it is just totalitarian at best. More commonly it is referred to as dictation. You abide by our political belief or else. This is definitely NOT what our founding fathers were intent upon.

TERRORIST SYMPATHIZERS!

YOUR AIDING THE ENEMY! TREASON! ANTI-AMERICAN!

I agree.

True

And while its true that I personally believe that, when one is invaded or attacked , it is the only moral reason to go to war, I would do nothing to help either side because I feel emotionally attached to neither and so therefore I only sympathize with the Iraqi civillians and, of course, peace.

Back
Top Bottom