• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played Badminton with Captors.....

Should Bowe Berdahl Be Court Martialed?

• Total voters
I read the article, there are a lot of may have’s:

Bergdahl went missing on the night of June 30, 2009 near the town of Yahya Kheyl in Paktika Province.[20] Accounts of his capture differ. In a video, Bergdahl stated that he was captured when he fell behind on a patrol.[2] Taliban sources allege he was ambushed after becoming drunk off base; U.S. military sources deny that claim, stating, "The Taliban are known for lying and what they are claiming [is] not true".[4] A Department of Defense spokesperson said, "I'm glad to see he appears unharmed, but again, this is a Taliban propaganda video. They are exploiting the soldier in violation of international law."[2][3] Other sources said Bergdahl walked off base after his shift[21] or that he was grabbed from a latrine.[22] Some soldiers who served with Bergdahl have alleged that he may have been a deserter.[23][24][25] Nathan Bradley Bethea, a member of Bergdahl's battalion wrote aDaily Beast article which stated that there was no patrol the night that Bergdahl went missing, and that Bergdahl had stated his desire to walk to India. Bethea states that the brigade received an order not to discuss Bergdahl due to safety reasons, but now that he has been found there is not a need for further silence. [26]

And then there is this:

On July 18, 2009, the Taliban released a video showing the captured Bergdahl.[2] In it, Bergdahl appeared downcast and frightened. ADepartment of Defense statement issued on July 19 confirmed that Bergdahl was declared "missing/whereabouts unknown" on July 1, and his status was changed to "missing/captured" on July 3.

So the military carried him as a POW and not as a Deserter. Even before this, his status was Missing/where abouts unknown. Now there has to some documentation as to this status, why the military would resort to missing/where abouts unknown. It is not the standard MIA which may give credence that he walked off his post by his own free will.

I don’t know, perhaps it is best to wait and see before jumping off the cliff. Now there is quite a lot in the article to give one question as to Bergdahl real status or why and how he left and was captured. Being captured in the latrine is one thing, walking off on his own into the wilds is another? Now I am sure he is undergoing shall I call it debriefing in Germany to get to the bottom of all of this. If it is found out for certain that we gave up five hard core Taliban for a deserter, that will leave a bunch of people very unhappy.

But this little item at the bottom of the article really caught my attention:

When Obama signed the bill, he released a signing statement saying that the restriction interfered with the president's executive power as commander in chief.[60]The White House released a statement acknowledging that the release of the Guantanamo prisoners did not comply with the law but cited the president's signing statement, and "unique and exigent circumstances" as justification

So the president doesn’t have to obey the law? I guess Ford should have sent back those 500,000 troop to South Vietnam back in 1975, he could always say the restriction of not sending them back interfered with his authority as commander in chief or the stop bombing law that stopped us from bombing in Cambodia, Nixon should just have continued on with it as that also interfered with his authority as commander in chief. Another precedence has been set.

Well.....I am just showing you what they already have and known. Besides the disinformation lets not forget BO does use like to use distractions. Just sayin.

Well.....I am just showing you what they already have and known. Besides the disinformation lets not forget BO does use like to use distractions. Just sayin.

If he was a deserter, this is one distraction can come back to haunt big time. Not to mention if those five let loose start a killing spree against Americans or kidnapping more. Time will tell.

For being Drunk, abandoning his unit and going U.A. Which cause the release of five dangerous men. He should be Court Martial and if convicted spend time at Ft. Leavenworth.

I don't give a crap whether he drank green tea, played badminton, or taught the Taleban to play Bridge. What I do care about is that most available evidence suggests this guy was a deserter, and that's been known since the day after he disappeared. Six very good men apparently died trying to find him. Of course he should be court martialed. And if he's guilty of desertion he should face appropriate punishment.

Now that we've started negotiating with terrorists, no American is safe. 5 bad asses for one idiot. Sounds like another Obama bad decision.

That policy is a bad one, anyway. Fighting terrorists successfully requires the same sort of adaptability as our criminal justice system.

Col Peters has been making the rounds talking about Bergdahl and those who served with him. Many are saying Bergdahl doesn't deserve any benefits. That none should Address him as SGT.

Peters says Team BO despite any Peace talks......that BO thought he could cop a feel good moment and that this would have brought him some positive news, help him with some poll numbers. That BO's Advisors should have done their Homework.

Not only is Congress outraged by what BO did but the American people are against Bergdahl. His own Unit members are online talking all about him and how the Army knows he is not any type of hero. Rolling Stone was hit up with major traffic. People all going back to News Pieces from 2010 on Berghdal.

Most that served with him.....consider him a Deserter. He left in the middle of the night, in shorts and out of uniform.

Btw.....the Afghans Official government has responded back. They knew nothing of this deal.

Col Peters has been making the rounds talking about Bergdahl and those who served with him. Many are saying Bergdahl doesn't deserve any benefits. That none should Address him as SGT.

Peters says Team BO despite any Peace talks......that BO thought he could cop a feel good moment and that this would have brought him some positive news, help him with some poll numbers. That BO's Advisors should have done their Homework.

Not only is Congress outraged by what BO did but the American people are against Bergdahl. His own Unit members are online talking all about him and how the Army knows he is not any type of hero. Rolling Stone was hit up with major traffic. People all going back to News Pieces from 2010 on Berghdal.

Most that served with him.....consider him a Deserter. He left in the middle of the night, in shorts and out of uniform.

Btw.....the Afghans Official government has responded back. They knew nothing of this deal.

WTH? Why didn't the Afghan government know of this deal? How is it that this administration knows the Taliban well enough to know who their leaders are and the correct phone numbers to call to talk about a prisoner exchange without the Afghan government's assistance? This whole story smells very bad, if all the news is true! :shock:

WTH? Why didn't the Afghan government know of this deal? How is it that this administration knows the Taliban well enough to know who their leaders are and the correct phone numbers to call to talk about a prisoner exchange without the Afghan government's assistance? This whole story smells very bad, if all the news is true! :shock:

From what I gather from the media reporting, the administration never directly spoke to anyone from the Taliban. They used Qatar as an intermediary to make the deal, and Qatar is where the 5 gitmo detainees will be living for 1 year before they are set free. Makes me wonder how many Taliban operational contacts are going to be wondering in and out of Qatar? You know, that's not a half bad idea, stake out these guys in Qatar and see who comes and goes. Hmmm. Interesting idea. Of course I'm under no delusions that the CIA hasn't thought of that first.

Greeting Polgara! :2wave: Heard you had a really, really busy day today! Hope all is well.

Yes Ttwtt.....he walked off. He says off of a patrol. But.....he asked his CO what Military equipment would we not want to fall into the Enemies hands. The CO told him the night Vision Goggles and his weapon. So he left them.....took a knife canteen camera and diary. Made off to cross over the Mountains into Pakistan.

One thing all were clear on is.....they know he was drunk. When he disappeared. Which I doubt he would be drunk......and out on Patrol.

Its news to me that he may have purposely deserted his post, if thats true, we should trade back.

Also, I kind of wish we have implanted tracking devices on those terrorists we let go-perhaps they will be exposed to large amounts of kinetic energy soon. More likely with the chump in chief in the whitehouse, thats a no.

I didn't see it saying that Skipper. :2wave: It says he was allowed to celebrate his religious beliefs. Not that the Islamists were celebrating his events.

But they did learn to play Badminton.....now those pics I want to see.

The OP says this "and even celebrated Christmas and Easter with the hardline Islamists"

With is the important word here. I get from that, that they celebrated with him, not just let him celebrate.

The OP says this "and even celebrated Christmas and Easter with the hardline Islamists"

With is the important word here. I get from that, that they celebrated with him, not just let him celebrate.

Perhaps those islamist terrorists have a heart of gold, eh? :roll:

Mornin Lady P.
hello2.gif
That's what the word is. None in Afghanistan that are the Official ruling government. Had no word they are saying. They just had an election over there. Think is.....the Taliban is not the Ruling Authority in Afghanistan.

We haven't been able to talk with the Taliban for over 2 and half years. They wont speak with any of our people So they are using Qatar as an intermediary.

Its news to me that he may have purposely deserted his post, if thats true, we should trade back.

Also, I kind of wish we have implanted tracking devices on those terrorists we let go-perhaps they will be exposed to large amounts of kinetic energy soon. More likely with the chump in chief in the whitehouse, thats a no.

Heya USC. :2wave: That's what I would have done.

Miranshah (Pakistan) (AFP) - Freed US soldier Bowe Bergdahl developed a love for Afghan green tea, taught his captors badminton, and even celebrated Christmas and Easter with the hardline Islamists, a Pakistani militant commander told AFP Sunday. Bergdahl, the only US soldier detained in Afghanistan since war began in 2001, was released Saturday in exchange for the freeing of five senior Taliban figures held at Guantanamo Bay, in a dramatic deal brokered by Qatar.

A commander of the Haqqani network, a militant outfit allied with the Taliban with ties to Al-Qaeda, on Sunday painted a picture of a man who adjusted to his new life by engaging with his captors while clinging to aspects of his own identity.

"He was fond of kawa (Afghan green tea). He drank a lot of kawa all day, which he mostly prepared himself," the commander told AFP by phone from an undisclosed location in Pakistan's tribal areas. Over time, Bergdahl, now 28, grew fluent in Pashto and Dari, he said.

Militant sources disagree over the circumstances surrounding his capture, but several -- then and now -- described him as being "drunk".

US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel demurred Sunday when asked by reporters if Bergdahl had gone AWOL (absent without leave) or deserted his post, saying only that "other circumstances that may develop, and questions -- those will be dealt with later".

"Sangeen kept him in Paktika, Paktia and parts of Khost before bringing him to the Pakistan-Afghanistan border," the Haqqani commander said, referring to districts located in eastern Afghanistan.....snip~

3f6351d646f3c015550f6a70670099c6.jpg

Freed US soldier celebrated Xmas, played badminton with captors

Should Bowe Bergdahl Be Court-Martialed? What say ye?

I answered with 'I Don't Know' because I'm not buying the story that this guy is an infantryman who abandoned his post. From my time in the field, I just have a guy feeling this guy is an intelligence officer. But, who can say?

I answered with 'I Don't Know' because I'm not buying the story that this guy is an infantryman who abandoned his post. From my time in the field, I just have a guy feeling this guy is an intelligence officer. But, who can say?

I voted "I dont know" as well. If there is enough evidence to bring him before a military court, I guess we'll learn the truth then.

Looking at his dad, I doubt very seriously he was an intelligence officer... but we'll see .

Mornin Lady P.
hello2.gif
That's what the word is. None in Afghanistan that are the Official ruling government. Had no word they are saying. They just had an election over there. Think is.....the Taliban is not the Ruling Authority in Afghanistan.

We haven't been able to talk with the Taliban for over 2 and half years. They wont speak with any of our people So they are using Qatar as an intermediary.

I shudder to think of what the reaction would be in DC if the same thing happened here! Splinter groups arranging things with other countries for their own benefit without our government knowing anything about it? Would we call it treason? Why can we do it, but others can't? Very odd....

The military has been silent on Bergdahl but there sure are several who served with him who are speaking out. And what they are saying isn't pretty. You can't find one that believes his story that he was on duty when captured. It would be nice if the military would be forthcoming with their findings before Obama tries to turn him into a war hero.

Update on Bergdahl. NBC World News from January of this year. Gates Weighed in back then. We knew what region he was in. We knew who had him. We knew in January.

Afghan Taliban: US soldier Bergdahl a 'precious bird'
PESHAWAR, Pakistan — Members of the Afghan Taliban confirmed to NBC News on Thursday that they are still holding the American soldier Bowe Bergdahl who disappeared from his base in Afghanistan in 2009, but claimed he sometimes stops eating and drinking.

“He is our special guest, and we consider him a precious bird, that’s why our men are taking care of him. We have been arranging food of his choice, but sometimes he stops eating and drinking and his hunger strike continues for a few days,” said a senior member of the Afghan Taliban, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Only official Afghan Taliban spokesmen Qari Yousaf Ahmadi and Zabihullah Mujahid, are allowed to interact with media.

Bergdahl was later shifted to Pakistan’s tribal areas and held in the mountains, according to the Taliban commander. His captor, Sangeen, died in a U. S. drone attack last year in Pakistan’s North Waziristan.

Two years ago, when the Taliban opened their office in Qatar for peace talks with the U.S., there were prospects of an exchange of prisoners. The Haqqani network handed Bergdahl over to the Afghan Taliban because they wanted to exchange him for their top five commanders being held at Guantanamo Bay, the Taliban commander said.

“U.S. officials had promised us that first they would exchange prisoners and then start peace talks. But it didn’t take place. And finally when there was no hope of prisoners’ swap, the soldier was returned to the Haqqani network,” the Taliban commander said.

Gates added that he’s glad his captors have apparently taken care of him.....snip~

Afghan Taliban: US soldier Bergdahl a 'precious bird' - World News

Bergdahl should spend a long time in Leavenworth if the circumstances surrounding his capture involve dessertion. I don't care about his "feelings" concerning our mission in Afghanistan.

I realized that all the facts aren't in, but it's difficult to ignore other soldiers' claims that he deserted. If he did, I await his court-martial. According to WaPo:

Obama also refused to rule out that Bergdahl could face punishment for, as some allege, abandoning his unit in Afghanistan. But he said that question is not the priority as Bergdahl recovers from captivity.

...Obama added that regardless of the circumstances of his capture, “we still get back an American soldier if he’s held in captivity. Period. Full stop.”

...In his own response to inquiries about the swap, Gen. Martin Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a statement posted on his Facebook page that “the questions about this particular soldier’s conduct are separate from our effort to recover ANY U.S. service member in enemy captivity.”

Dempsey added: “This was likely the last, best opportunity to free him. As for the circumstances of his capture, when he is able to provide them, we’ll learn the facts. Like any American, he is innocent until proven guilty. Our Army’s leaders will not look away from misconduct if it occurred. In the meantime, we will continue to care for him and his family.”
Obama defends decision to trade 5 Guantanamo detainees for Bergdahl - The Washington Post

Update......Pentagon he walked Away. Desertion!!!!! What is all the BS about he wanted to leave and help the Afghan people? What the Hell is up with all of that?

U.S. concluded in 2010 that Bergdahl walked away

A Pentagon investigation concluded in 2010 that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl walked away from his unit, and after an initial flurry of searching the military decided not to exert extraordinary efforts to rescue him, according to a former senior defense official who was involved in the matter.

Instead, the U.S. government pursued negotiations to get him back over the following five years of his captivity — a track that led to his release over the weekend.

One official, who spoke on grounds of anonymity because the person wasn't authorized to discuss the subject by name, said there were concerns about Bergdahl's mental and emotional as well as physical health.

And in Kabul Monday, the Afghan Foreign Ministry called the swap "against the norms of international law" if it came against the five imprisoned Taliban detainees' will. The ministry said: "No state can transfer another country's citizen to a third country and put restriction on their freedom."

The military investigation was broader than a criminal inquiry, this official said, and it didn't formally accuse Bergdahl of desertion. In interviews, members of his unit portrayed him as a naive, "delusional" person who thought he could help the Afghan people by leaving his army post, the official said.

U.S. military and intelligence agencies had made every effort to monitor Bergdahl's location and his health, the official said, through both signals intelligence and a network of spies.....snip~

Not based on playing badminton, learning the language in 5 years or celebrating holidays. Other than the mention of being drunk and AWOL, am I missing something?

Not AWOL...desertion.

Not based on playing badminton, learning the language in 5 years or celebrating holidays. Other than the mention of being drunk and AWOL, am I missing something?

Not mentioned, but I imagine that instructing enemy fighters in small unit tactics and how to use cellphones to detonate roadside IED's would be up there...

Update......Pentagon he walked Away. Desertion!!!!! What is all the BS about he wanted to leave and help the Afghan people? What the Hell is up with all of that?

A Pentagon investigation concluded in 2010 that Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl walked away from his unit, and after an initial flurry of searching the military decided not to exert extraordinary efforts to rescue him, according to a former senior defense official who was involved in the matter.

Instead, the U.S. government pursued negotiations to get him back over the following five years of his captivity — a track that led to his release over the weekend.

One official, who spoke on grounds of anonymity because the person wasn't authorized to discuss the subject by name, said there were concerns about Bergdahl's mental and emotional as well as physical health.

And in Kabul Monday, the Afghan Foreign Ministry called the swap "against the norms of international law" if it came against the five imprisoned Taliban detainees' will. The ministry said: "No state can transfer another country's citizen to a third country and put restriction on their freedom."

The military investigation was broader than a criminal inquiry, this official said, and it didn't formally accuse Bergdahl of desertion. In interviews, members of his unit portrayed him as a naive, "delusional" person who thought he could help the Afghan people by leaving his army post, the official said.

U.S. military and intelligence agencies had made every effort to monitor Bergdahl's location and his health, the official said, through both signals intelligence and a network of spies.....snip~

So our President just traded 5 of the worlds nastiest terrorists, responsible for the deaths of hundreds and who may very well again kill Americans, for a delusional deserting prick? And all while spitting in the eye of the Afghan govt, who will again have to deal with these terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom