• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free word processor for Apple computer

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I need a word processor that is free, does not come in a bundle, and works perfectly on a 2018 iMac. Nothing else is acceptable. Libre Office seems to check all three boxes, but will NOT open, no matter how I install and save it, despite the official website giving me the option to download it on a Mac computer specifically. I would have a Windows computer if I was allowed to, which can't happen as long as my Apple-loving mom is alive. What can I do?

I need a word processor that is free, does not come in a bundle, and works perfectly on a 2018 iMac. Nothing else is acceptable. Libre Office seems to check all three boxes, but will NOT open, no matter how I install and save it, despite the official website giving me the option to download it on a Mac computer specifically. I would have a Windows computer if I was allowed to, which can't happen as long as my Apple-loving mom is alive. What can I do?

Does it need to be installed? Both Google Suite and Office Online are free.

Libreoffice is excellent. Too bad it won't work on your system.

What version of the macOS are you running on the iMac?

Libre seems to work just fine for me on 11.5.2.

What exactly happens when you try and launch Libre?

Libreoffice is excellent. Too bad it won't work on your system.

I know. It is exactly what I wish Microsoft Word still was. Why they say it works on Mac, I will never understand.

What version of the macOS are you running on the iMac?

Libre seems to work just fine for me on 11.5.2.

What exactly happens when you try and launch Libre?

Mojave. Names are so easy to remember I don't even look at the numbers.

The only reason I did not upgrade to Sierra is I can't reset my forgotten username and password. (n)

I know how to make a screenshot online, but not offline.

Mojave. Names are so easy to remember I don't even look at the numbers.

The only reason I did not upgrade to Sierra is I can't reset my forgotten username and password. (n)

I know how to make a screenshot online, but not offline.
You have to describe what the error is when to try and launch Libre.

Likely Gate Keeper is blocking the App from working because it's not a signed app from an identified developer.

The first thing to check is if you have given permission to run apps that you did not get from the App Store.

System Preferences>Security and Privacy>General>Allow Apps Downloaded from: App Store AND identified developers.

Now I have it! (y):)

I put it back from Trash to Applications and clicked on it there.

Back
Top Bottom