• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Time

Rexedgar

Yo-Semite!
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I have had a thought about my free time situation. I have been retired for about 15 years. I was into motorcycling and rode much of the east coast even making a cross-country round trip. I also have a fully functioning and tooled auto shop and wood shop on my property. Age has caused physical limitations and I am thinking of mentoring a young person, maybe a late teen or young adult that want to learn what I know about these two things. Where does one go to look for such a situation? I have a spotless background and have no problems submitting to an extensive dive on my past by a concerned adult/guardian. It would help me limit my time here @DP, which is getting out of control.

I am rather set in my ways and don’t get along with everybody, so there would have to some sort of an interview process to see if we both could get along in this kind of close contact.

I have had a thought about my free time situation. I have been retired for about 15 years. I was into motorcycling and rode much of the east coast even making a cross-country round trip. I also have a fully functioning and tooled auto shop and wood shop on my property. Age has caused physical limitations and I am thinking of mentoring a young person, maybe a late teen or young adult that want to learn what I know about these two things. Where does one go to look for such a situation? I have a spotless background and have no problems submitting to an extensive dive on my past by a concerned adult/guardian. It would help me limit my time here @DP, which is getting out of control.

I am rather set in my ways and don’t get along with everybody, so there would have to some sort of an interview process to see if we both could get along in this kind of close contact.
Good for you. Is there a vocational school near you? You could offer tutoring or an after school program.

Last edited:

Great post!

No grandkid? Or, 'neighbor boy'?

There was a lot of this going-on in my old neighborhood. But then again, it was a dense, crowded place, where many knew each other, and during a time when many had big families with lots of kids.

BTW - If you attend a Church, that might be a good place to start.

Regardless, I give you credit for this and wish you the best of luck. When mentoring a young person in technical skills, you will also be mentoring them in life, whether consciously or not. I actually had this for several years when really young. I still miss the tough old curmudgeon! It's the circle of life . . .

Great post!

No grandkid? Or, 'neighbor boy'?

There was a lot of this going-on in my old neighborhood. But then again, it was a dense, crowded place, where many knew each other, and during a time when many had big families with lots of kids.

BTW - If you attend a Church, that might be a good place to start.

Regardless, I give you credit for this and wish you the best of luck. When mentoring a young person in technical skills, you will also be mentoring them in life, whether consciously or not. I actually had this for several years when really young. I still miss the tough old curmudgeon! It's the circle of life . . .
I has “Mr. Frank.” He lived across the street when I was just out of the Army. He was “shacked up” with his long time girlfriend. He had operated a service station and had earlier worked on the Pentagon when it was being built. He was character.

Great attitude and criteria for communicating to your pupil or whomever. Letting them know your curmudgeon side and what you're looking for in someone. I wish I had the patience to give instruction. I've got a woodshop, but my son is not interested. He does help me with doing fix-its around the house, though. Yeah, my physical limitations. Just a thought to consider your responsibility as to injury/accident. Good luck and way-to-go.

Great attitude and criteria for communicating to your pupil or whomever. Letting them know your curmudgeon side and what you're looking for in someone. I wish I had the patience to give instruction. I've got a woodshop, but my son is not interested. He does help me with doing fix-its around the house, though. Yeah, my physical limitations. Just a thought to consider your responsibility as to injury/accident. Good luck and way-to-go.
Oh, parents or guardians would have to be involved! Sorry about your son.

Back
Top Bottom