• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Speech for Me but Not for Thee

Lord Tammerlain

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Elon Musk wants to use the government to punish people/ groups using their free speech to push for boycotts of his soon to be newly purchased company

That is a true violation of free speech, you know when the government limits what you can say

Elon Musk called for an investigation into left-wing organizations that are pressuring companies to boycott Twitter if Musk changes the social media firm’s content moderation policies, coming about a week after it was announced he would purchase the platform.

Elon Musk wants to use the government to punish people/ groups using their free speech to push for boycotts of his soon to be newly purchased company

That is a true violation of free speech, you know when the government limits what you can say

I'll believe it when I see it in a credible source that I can read without a paywall.

What's the violation?

- Asking for an investigation; or

- A state actor "investigating" (with no further facts or caveats) an instance of speech; or

- A state actor taking adverse action against the speaker for the content of their speech?

It's been quite a long time since I delved to any depth in 1st Amd. law, but I'd imagine the investigation might be an issue if it causes costs for the investigated (they usually do) and was based on the content of speech. The latter definitely, unless it falls within the rare exception

Epoch Times is usually far right bullshit so I'm not even sure I want to click the link. (Kinda surprised you posted it.)

I’ve never had a Twitter account and never will so I couldn’t care less if it disappeared entirely but, good grief, the palpable fear so many have of encountering more speech on Twitter that they don’t like is both funny and sad.

What's the violation?

- Asking for an investigation; or

- A state actor "investigating" (with no further facts or caveats) an instance of speech; or

- A state actor taking adverse action against the speaker for the content of their speech?

It's been quite a long time since I delved to any depth in 1st Amd. law, but I'd imagine the investigation might be an issue if it causes costs for the investigated (they usually do) and was based on the content of speech. The latter definitely, unless it falls within the rare exception

Epoch Times is usually far right bullshit so I'm not even sure I want to click the link. (Kinda surprised you posted it.)

No actual violation,

It was posted in response to so many claiming Musk was all for free speech, yet if this claim in Epoch Times, which is certainly not a liberal media source is true, it would show that Musk is not for free speech. As he would want the government to silence his critics

Well, hear tell the Europeans are also cracking down on free speech.

They sincerely feel that there are certain things that should not be said publicly. (Just confine them to the privacy of your home.)

So it's no shock that corporations are going woke. They know where their bread is buttered. Their CEOS are expected to act shocked that Mr. M. might allow unwoke views on controversial topics.

Chances are that the Deep State (aka the bureaucracy) will find some way to block Mr. M.'s purchase of that thing called Twitter. Maybe he will have to promise NOT to let you-know-whom return. After all, you-know-whom is considered a mortal threat to this nation by wokesters.

Well, hear tell the Europeans are also cracking down on free speech.

They sincerely feel that there are certain things that should not said publicly. (Just confine them to the privacy of your home.)

So it's no shock that corporations are going woke. They know where their bread is buttered. Their CEOS are expected to act shocked that Mr. M. might allow unwoke views on controversial topics.

Chances are that the Deep State (aka the bureaucracy) will find some way to block Mr. M.'s purchase of that thing called Twitter. Maybe if he will have to promise NOT to let you-know-whom to return. After all, you-know-whom is considered a mortal threat to this nation.
If Musk wants to spend 44 billion, which is 10 times the revenue of Twitter, which I believe still does not make an operating profit from operations I am all for it. I doubt it will be blocked, if Facebook, Google or Microsoft tried to, I expect it would be

No actual violation,

It was posted in response to so many claiming Musk was all for free speech, yet if this claim in Epoch Times, which is certainly not a liberal media source is true, it would show that Musk is not for free speech. As he would want the government to silence his critics

Fair enough.

I prefer to simply shit on the idea that there is any sort of "principle of free speech" divorced from the 1st. It's all about government controlling speech. Nobody ever bitched in the past if a paper that let people compete for free space ruled out certain categories of thing, etc. (Or whatever 18th-early-19th century parallel one can think of). Except the government, which in times of war through the 1st out the window, which is of course irrelevant to a corporation applying a list of rules to people using its service...not that I had to say that to you.

Yet another thing that gives the lie to originalism.

Nobody on the right actually understands the first amendment.

Extortion is a crime.

I’ve never had a Twitter account and never will so I couldn’t care less if it disappeared entirely but, good grief, the palpable fear so many have of encountering more speech on Twitter that they don’t like is both funny and sad.
What are you even talking about? The Epoch Times has something they want you to know. We're discussing it.

Extortion is a crime.
It is not extortion, it is using free speech to pressure companies to take certain actions.

Without illegal threats involved it is not extortion

It is not extortion, it is using free speech to pressure companies to take certain actions.
And threatening to impact their business if they don't - Democratic Mafia tactics.
Without illegal threats involved it is not extortion
Yeah, "it's be a shame if something happened to your business if you don't go along with us" qualifies.

And threatening to impact their business if they don't - Democratic Mafia tactics.

Yeah, "it's be a shame if something happened to your business if you don't go along with us" qualifies.
Boycotts are not extortion. No one is required to patronize a business, nor are they legally prevented from sharing their opinions about it.

🤣

No, boycotts are not "extortion."

Listen to yourselves.

Uhh, of course they could be if the boycott was threatened and had demands, that is exactly extortion.
No, if the only threat is that you won't give someone your business unless they do something, that's called haggling and it's legal.

After all, you-know-whom is considered a mortal threat to this nation by wokesters.
Only those Americans living in a right wing dream world don’t recognize the continuing damage to our representative democracy being committed by Trump.

Whoah, calm down. Why are you so terrified of people criticizing someone?

Extortion is a crime.
Where is the extortion or even the threat of extortion?

The right of consumers to boycott products is protected. How many times have conservatives claimed to boycott businesses as part of cancel culture?

Target, Carhartt, Starbucks, Yeti, Nike..........

Threats to business is common from conservatives and liberals alike.

Cons have boycotted Keurig and Starbucks over the war on Christmas. ie saying happy holidays vs merry Christmas. So don't pretend it is just a liberal thing

Back
Top Bottom