• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Speech Dead In UK? [W:394]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Anti-Ground Zero Mosque campaigners Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer barred from entering Britain to speak at an EDL rally[/h]

[h=3]Theresa May said activists' presence in the UK would 'not be conducive to the public good'

[/h] Two of the people behind a campaign against the building of the “Ground Zero Mosque” in New York have been barred from entering Britain to speak at an English Defence League rally in London this weekend, it has been announced.
The Home Secretary Theresa May has told Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer, both of the anti-Islamic group Stop Islamization of America, that their presence in the UK would “not be conducive to the public good”. The decision, which they cannot appeal, will stand for between three and five years.
According to the Home Office, Mr Spencer and Ms Geller set up organisations “described as anti-Muslim hate groups” and, consequently, they have been told not to travel to Britain.

Anti-Ground Zero Mosque campaigners Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer barred from entering Britain to speak at an EDL rally - Crime - UK - The Independent

Did anyone see this coming??

That's all, folks!

[h=3][/h]

Last edited by a moderator:
[h=1]Anti-Ground Zero Mosque campaigners Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer barred from entering Britain to speak at an EDL rally[/h]

[h=3]Theresa May said activists' presence in the UK would 'not be conducive to the public good'

[/h] Two of the people behind a campaign against the building of the “Ground Zero Mosque” in New York have been barred from entering Britain to speak at an English Defence League rally in London this weekend, it has been announced.
The Home Secretary Theresa May has told Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer, both of the anti-Islamic group Stop Islamization of America, that their presence in the UK would “not be conducive to the public good”. The decision, which they cannot appeal, will stand for between three and five years.
According to the Home Office, Mr Spencer and Ms Geller set up organisations “described as anti-Muslim hate groups” and, consequently, they have been told not to travel to Britain.

Anti-Ground Zero Mosque campaigners Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer barred from entering Britain to speak at an EDL rally - Crime - UK - The Independent

That's all, folks!

[h=3][/h]

Damn..Does that mean no more yelling FIRE in crowded movie theaters too? That's so much fun.

Well, ok, lets look at it from 2 ways.

1. Yes, free speech is dead and the govt of the UK is a wimpy, muslim pandering, anti-british bunch of potatoes.

2. If the govt feels that it needs to take actions to prevent people whose presence in the country would be against the public good, then why go only based on preferences? Here's a list of people who should be barred as well, from the lowest in importance to the worst:

-all rappers and most pop artists and rock artists and holywood actors.
-all immigrants with penal record.
-all russian oligarchs that went in the UK to escape Putin's wrath, along with billions upon billions of $ stolen from the Russian people.
-all politicians. Keep all these slimy politicians out of the UK so that they can't harm the public with their stupid speeches and debates.

So add these categories of people along with the hate groups and then you officially protected the UK airwaves from any negative remarks. Or most.

This annoyed me only because we have had extremist muslim preachers in our country and we have let that go. Let them over and if they break the law arrest them but not to let them speak is a joke.

.]
------------------
I don't know anything about Spencer, but Geller is vitriolic in the extreme.
Anyway, if the Brits don't want certain people in their country, so be it.
US radio host Michael Savage was banned a few years ago.
Unjustifiably, in my view, but again, Britain can do as they wish.

------------------
So, with its many, many calls for genocide, mayhem, slaughter, bloodshed and death, how can they allow anyone to proselytize Traditional Islam in the UK at all then?

Oh well, no one should loose their head over -- oh wait, that happened in the street a few weeks ago. So I guess that a behavior code that leads to a British citizen d getting his head hacked off is seen as "conducive to the public good."

The English Defence League, is a racist organisation whose main activity is street demonstrations against the Muslim community, and several of whose high profile activists recorded admitting their support for Anders Breivik's actions in killing 77 people in two terror attacks, (many of them teenagers).

The EDL's leader Stephen Lennon (aka Tommy Robinson) was later filmed seemingly admitting his admiration for the killer, though Lennon has denied he made these comments. Throughout 2011 a series of exposures in the national and international media exposed the heart of the EDL as part of an international network of extremists targeting Muslims around the world.

A career criminal, Lennon has a number of criminal convictions, including football violence related convictions. The EDL is a non-membership organisation and so has often been viewed by Lennon and Carroll as their own private army. It is estimated that there are 700 criminal convictions directly linked to the EDL and its supporter base. This includes fire-bombings and even murder.
The English Defence League | What is the EDL?

Pamela Geller, has been described by Haaretz as "one of America's most extraordinarily successful purveyors of unvarnished prejudice and unapologetic hatred."

Like fellow bigot, Michael Savage, before her, she is likely to disrupt the peace, and the Home Secretary was right, and had every right, to deny her the opportunity to combine with the criminal bigotry of the EDL. The creation of social unrest, and the incitement to hatred and violence, are not conducive to the well-being of any society.

So I would say that free speech is not dead in the UK, and neither is common sense.

That's all, folks!

[h=3][/h]

Has nothing to do with free speech...but security and sovereignty of a nation. Funny how you dont complain about the 10s of thousands of people who are barred from entering the US...

This annoyed me only because we have had extremist muslim preachers in our country and we have let that go. Let them over and if they break the law arrest them but not to let them speak is a joke.

Extremist Muslim preachers are also banned from the UK. Your problem is those that are already in the country, not those trying to come in :)

Oh and also extremist Jews are banned.. so it is not a Muslim vs Christian thing :)

List of people banned from entering the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A semi accurate list... there are most likely more. Love that they banned L. Ron Hubbard back in the day.. sadly they did not ban his criminal organisation.

I'm generally against banning these proselytisers of hatred from entering the country. I think if you let them speak and ensure they are properly debated their nonsense will be easily exposed. Having said that, I don't see it as the job of the British government to be concerned to protect the right of free speech of foreigners. If these Americans feel their rights are being infringed by being denied entry to the UK they should get their own government to take up their cause.

Those claiming that these right-wing Islamophobes are being given worse treatment than the vitriolic Islamist hate-mongers, then they probably need to ask those Islamist preachers sitting in Belmarsh prison how come they have it so good.

I seem to recall EDL Leader Tommy Robinson serving 10 months in prison for entering the US illegally.

Sentencing the 30-year-old, Judge Alistair McCreath, told him:

"You knew perfectly well that you were not welcome in the United States.

"You knew that because you tried before and you had not got in, and you knew the reason for that - because, rightly or wrongly, the US authorities do not welcome people in their country who have convictions of the kind that you have.

"With that full knowledge, you equipped yourself with a passport. I am told that it was given you by way of a loan from your friend Andrew McMaster, to which you bore, I am told, some resemblance.

"And by use of that passport you did what you could to get into the United States.

"But you did not get in because they took your fingerprints and they worked out that you were not who you claimed to be.

"I am told that, by whatever means, you slipped away from the US authorities, got into the country and then very rapidly - and understandably so - got out of it."

EDL Leader Stephen Lennon, AKA Tommy Robinson, Jailed For 10 Months For False Passport

I really don't know that much about Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer or if they have any criminal convictions or if the UK Authorities were even advised by the FBI and US Authorities in respect of letting them in to the UK.

Last edited:
Extremist Muslim preachers are also banned from the UK. Your problem is those that are already in the country, not those trying to come in :)

Oh and also extremist Jews are banned.. so it is not a Muslim vs Christian thing :)

List of people banned from entering the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A semi accurate list... there are most likely more. Love that they banned L. Ron Hubbard back in the day.. sadly they did not ban his criminal organisation.

extremists all over England from Muslim extremists to the EDL, should of let these 2 in.

Damn..Does that mean no more yelling FIRE in crowded movie theaters too? That's so much fun.
The parallel between the UK and a crowded theater may not be far off but of course if there is a fire then alerting others is probably a good idea.

extremists all over England from Muslim extremists to the EDL, should of let these 2 in.

Well, while I would have let them in, I can see the logic in saying, "we've got enough extremist nutters of our own without importing more". Weren't you complaining some time ago about the influx of 'foreign' Islamist extremists? What makes these two extremists special?

I don't think free speech is dead in the U.K. any more than a rock could be described as dead. After all, the rock was never alive to begin with.

------------------

Those people you mentioned are able to freely put forth their points of view in the US and there have been no negative consequences. But as the Brits are now walking on eggshells I suppose they have to be especially cautious. Even Winston Churchill was able to give his views on Islam and there was no demonstrations at all.

If people were not such enormous hypocrites and so afflicted by the politically correct brand of white guilt, perhaps they might show themselves capable of establishing consistant standars for what they consider "extremist". The bar they set is obviously in a far different place in one instance than it is another, for if the two people banned from entering Britain are "extremist" for the views they express, then the majority of Muslims living in Britain are extremist for theirs.

I seem to recall EDL Leader Tommy Robinson serving 10 months in prison for entering the US illegally. I really don't know that much about Pamela Geller and Robert Spencer or if they have any criminal convictions or if the UK Authorities were even advised by the FBI and US Authorities in respect of letting them in to the UK.

That wasn't a matter of free speech.

That wasn't a matter of free speech.

Neither are some US Bans :shock:

Daily Mail said:
US won't tell Britons why they're banned from travelling to America

By JASON LEWIS

airportEPA_228x317.jpg

Britons denied access to the US
will no longer be informed why

US won't tell Britons why they're banned from travelling to America | Mail Online

British holidaymakers and businessmen banned from travelling to America under anti-terror laws will no longer have any right to know why they have been turned away.

The US Department of Homeland Security, set up following the September 11 attacks, last week applied for a blanket ban on disclosing the information it holds on Britons and other EU citizens.

Last month, Britain agreed to send the secretive US department all details of UK passengers before they fly to America.

The agency was given full access to huge amounts of information on individual passengers, including details of their credit cards, home addresses, e-mail addresses, frequent-flier records and even requests for special meals.

And, despite a huge privacy row in the European Parliament, it was also given permission to keep the airlines' lists of passengers' names for at least eight years.

The Department of Homeland Security last week said it intended to make this information available for 'routine use' by the intelligence community 'to protect the United States from terrorist threats' and to tackle cases of identity theft.

But it said it was also applying for a complete ban on disclosing the information it holds on individuals and then uses to turn passengers away.

Last week, it published a "notice of proposed rulemaking" for an exception from the US Privacy Act, which allows individuals to check records the American government holds on them.

The law is supposed to allow anyone to check files for mistakes but the new exception rule is being brought in on the grounds of national security and law enforcement.

If people were not such enormous hypocrites and so afflicted by the politically correct brand of white guilt, perhaps they might show themselves capable of establishing consistant standars for what they consider "extremist". The bar they set is obviously in a far different place in one instance than it is another, for if the two people banned from entering Britain are "extremist" for the views they express, then the majority of Muslims living in Britain are extremist for theirs.

Were that the case, which it isn't, then if they were foreigners they wouldn't be allowed in either. If you look at that list of people banned from entering Britain you'll see that the many of them are Moslems. Different standards applying? I dunno. And neither do you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom