• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free school lunches for all set to end, creating ‘perfect storm’ amid high inflation

Bear5131

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
They should make free lunch for kids permanent. I am for that on my tax payer dime regardless of income, why should kids get beat up over lunch money on children's play grounds?

Also any one remember when milk at school was a nickel?

A federal waiver that made school breakfasts and lunches free to students regardless of their family’s income is set to expire June 30, eliminating a benefit that has helped millions of schoolchildren at a time when they need it more than ever, anti-hunger advocates say.

The free school meals program began in March 2020 when Congress authorized the U.S. Department of Agriculture to issue dozens of child nutrition waivers, including ones that expanded summer food programs, to provide a lifeline during the pandemic.

If the waivers end this month as scheduled, experts foresee a crisis as families, already facing soaring prices at supermarkets, gas stations and elsewhere, lose access to meals that their children have counted on for the last two years.

I dont want to pay for other folks kids. I respect that you do.
Maybe we can devise a system where you can and I can opt out.
Like on my electric bill each month, they ask if I want to contribute to greenhouse something or other.
Ask me on my tax form if I want to pay for my neighbors kids lunch.

Like on my electric bill each month, they ask if I want to contribute to greenhouse something or other.
LOL, I can actually say this comment is something I agree with!

There are a lot of things my taxes pay for that I don't want to pay for. I'd argue that children getting to eat two hot meals a today is far more important than most of those things I have to pay for.

That's like asking though can you opt out of paying for your neighbors kids schooling .

How about a direct tax form. Asking you if you would like to donate for X amount of kids school lunches?

Like they do with the presidential election fund contributions

When you do your federal taxes, the form asks you to check a box if you want to contribute $3 as a single filer, or $6 if you’re filing jointly, to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund.

Each time Tracy Shaw files, there it is — that question staring back at her. But she’s never felt compelled to say yes.

“I’ve never checked it because I’m like, ‘I don’t really understand this. I don’t know why it’s here, and I’ve never checked it before, and that’s worked fine, so I’m just gonna stick with that,’” Shaw said.

Robin Kolodny, a political science professor at Temple University, explained that this money comes out of the income tax you pay to the Internal Revenue Service.

“Let’s say you pay $100 in taxes, and you check off the box. So the first thing they’re going to do is take $3,” Kolodny said. “And instead of sending it to the General Fund at the Treasury Department, they’re gonna send it to this account at the Federal Election Commission, and then they’re gonna send $97 to the General Fund.”

This is a typical call for endless federal “budget” bloat, which appears not to have been passed by congress.

USDA's authority to issue waivers was expected to be extended for another year by President Joe Biden. But the extension was not included in the omnibus spending bill passed by Congress. POLITICO reported that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans opposed extending funding for the school meals due to its cost of approximately $11 billion; an aide to McConnell denied that to NBC News, saying there was never a proposal for him to reject.

There are a lot of things my taxes pay for that I don't want to pay for. I'd argue that children getting to eat two hot meals a today is far more important than most of those things I have to pay for.

If I am going to pay how will the parents or children reimburse me in the future?

I get it, its not the kids fault. That said, how many kids are genuinely hungry?
Way way way way fewer than we feed.
Most would benefit from a diet, no?

OK, then cut funding for most of those less important things. This is the major problem with federal “budgeting” - congress critters continually add new spending (without any ‘pay for’ with additional revenue) rather than change federal “budget” priorities.

If I am going to pay how will the parents or children reimburse me in the future?
When you turn 65 and start collecting Social Security and Medicare, how will you reimburse me for paying for your living and health expenses?

That's life in a civilized society.
I get it, its not the kids fault. That said, how many kids are genuinely hungry?
Far more than you probably realize. Many times the kids will not even tell you. There has been more than one kid over the last couple of years that I've kept food in my office and told them they were welcome to come in any time and help themselves, because I knew they'd never admit to being hungry and their family would never signup for the federal free and reduced meal program.
Way way way way fewer than we feed.
So? We force children to be at school by law, I think it is reasonable to say we can pay the $2 it takes to feed you.
Most would benefit from a diet, no?
Most would benefit from a proper diet. Not eating is not a proper diet. Not eating a healthy school lunch not only reduces the ability to learn, but also increases the ability of consumption of unhealthy foods.

So, basically, your thinking is wrong in nearly every way here.

That's like asking though can you opt out of paying for your neighbors kids schooling .

How about a direct tax form. Asking you if you would like to donate for X amount of kids school lunches?

Like they do with the presidential election fund contributions

When you do your federal taxes, the form asks you to check a box if you want to contribute $3 as a single filer, or $6 if you’re filing jointly, to the Presidential Election Campaign Fund.

Each time Tracy Shaw files, there it is — that question staring back at her. But she’s never felt compelled to say yes.

“I’ve never checked it because I’m like, ‘I don’t really understand this. I don’t know why it’s here, and I’ve never checked it before, and that’s worked fine, so I’m just gonna stick with that,’” Shaw said.

Robin Kolodny, a political science professor at Temple University, explained that this money comes out of the income tax you pay to the Internal Revenue Service.

“Let’s say you pay $100 in taxes, and you check off the box. So the first thing they’re going to do is take $3,” Kolodny said. “And instead of sending it to the General Fund at the Treasury Department, they’re gonna send it to this account at the Federal Election Commission, and then they’re gonna send $97 to the General Fund.”

Good point. I do not want to pay for my neighbors kids school either.
Its a racket.
In today's climate, I fear a lot more than before.

I seriously doubt this.
Its hard to be hungry in the USA unless your parents are significantly ****ed up

OK, then cut funding for most of those less important things.
I'm 100% on board for that. For example, the United States defense budget is $777 billion dollars. We can take a very small percentage of that, feed every child in America breakfast and lunch, and still have more than enough money left over to hand out to the cronies of Congress people...err...I mean, to spend on national defense.
This is the major problem with federal “budgeting” - congress critters continually add new spending (without any ‘pay for’ with additional revenue) rather than change federal “budget” priorities.
Because cutting spending doesn't make any donors happy. Donors only pay for an increase to their budgets, not a decrease.

I seriously doubt this.
Its hard to be hungry in the USA unless your parents are significantly ****ed up

Admittedly, this may be a biased website, but the figures are going up. 10 million before the pandemic to 12 million during, and now inflation making things worse. If these numbers are true, what is there to doubt?

This is a typical call for endless federal “budget” bloat, which appears not to have been passed by congress.
"POLITICO reported that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans opposed extending funding for the school meals due to its cost of approximately $11 billion; an aide to McConnell denied that to NBC News, saying there was never a proposal for him to reject."

The same people who say we don't have $11 billion to feed children had absolutely no problem with increasing the defense budget by $29 billion in the same year. Just saying.

Good point. I do not want to pay for my neighbors kids school either.
Its a racket.

I seriously doubt this.
Lol

When you turn 65 and start collecting Social Security and Medicare, how will you reimburse me for paying for your living and health expenses?

That's life in a civilized society.

Far more than you probably realize. Many times the kids will not even tell you. There has been more than one kid over the last couple of years that I've kept food in my office and told them they were welcome to come in any time and help themselves, because I knew they'd never admit to being hungry and their family would never signup for the federal free and reduced meal program.

So? We force children to be at school by law, I think it is reasonable to say we can pay the $2 it takes to feed you.

Most would benefit from a proper diet. Not eating is not a proper diet. Not eating a healthy school lunch not only reduces the ability to learn, but also increases the ability of consumption of unhealthy foods.

So, basically, your thinking is wrong in nearly every way here.
Interesting.

You hate the old who have paid SS for 50 years plus and love the folks who have kids they can't afford.
You don't want to pay your college loan and have a sense of entitlement never before seen in human history.

I guess i was wrong about your generation. I had held you in much higher regard.
I guess its time for me to stop pushing back on all the disgust I hear thrown at your generation.

Sad really, very sad.

They should make free lunch for kids permanent. I am for that on my tax payer dime regardless of income, why should kids get beat up over lunch money on children's play grounds?
You are in the minority as far as conservatives go, and that makes me sad.

Admittedly, this may be a biased website, but the figures are going up. 10 million before the pandemic to 12 million during, and now inflation making things worse. If these numbers are true, what is there to doubt?

I would belive 10 million. This sounds like how many totally delinquent, drugged out, mentally ill parents there are.

The problem is not food, the problem is the parents and getting the kids to a safer environment.

Interesting.

You hate the old who have paid SS for 50 years plus and love the folks who have kids they can't afford.
You don't want to pay your college loan and have a sense of entitlement never before seen in human history.

I guess i was wrong about your generation. I had held you in much higher regard.
I guess its time for me to stop pushing back on all the disgust I hear thrown at your generation.

Sad really, very sad.
"Oh so you don't want kids to starve? God your generation is so entitled."

Go move to some third world country, you'd like it better there.

Interesting.

You hate the old who have paid SS for 50 years plus
The amount you pay into SS for 40-50 years does not come close the amount of money you are likely to draw for 20 years. Which means people like me have to foot the bill.

So how are you going to pay me back?
and love the folks who have kids they can't afford.
No, I love the children who don't get a say in whether they are created or not.
You don't want to pay your college loan
I didn't have a college loan, I had academic scholarships which paid for my education in full.
and have a sense of entitlement never before seen in human history.
So you're going to donate your Social Security check to charity and refuse Medicare?

Tell me, what is your occupation? Let's just see all the other ways you can pay back society which has made it possible for you to live your life.
What generation is that? What generation are you?

Sad really, very sad.
Yeah, I totally believe the things you are saying here.

So, again...how are you going to pay me back for the Social Security and Medicare you will likely draw? I mean, if your official position is that you are too selfish to pay money to ensure innocent children don't go hungry, then you can understand if the rest of think you don't deserve any of our money.

"POLITICO reported that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and other Republicans opposed extending funding for the school meals due to its cost of approximately $11 billion; an aide to McConnell denied that to NBC News, saying there was never a proposal for him to reject."

The same people who say we don't have $11 billion to feed children had absolutely no problem with increasing the defense budget by $29 billion in the same year. Just saying.

It was noted that over 65% of the additional spending is for those who would not have previously qualified for any federal assistance. We gave our own defense $29B more, bust also gave Ukraine about twice that amount. Just saying.

It was noted that over 65% of the additional spending is for those who would not have previously qualified for any federal assistance. We gave our own defense $29B more, bust also gave Ukraine about twice that amount. Just saying.
Right...we can spend an additional $29b on our "defense" (which everyone knows is laughable) but we can't spend $11b to feed children. It's almost like McConnell and others are not being serious when they suggest we can't afford to have our children eat.

Especially since we've literally just done it for the last two years and it has done nothing to bankrupt our country.

You are in the minority as far as conservatives go, and that makes me sad.
I am a softy when it comes to charity, and will give you the shirt off my back if you ask,, I hate taxes though when I don't have a choice. I have been giving to Saint Judes and Sally's Christian Children's Fund and Save the Children Federation for years they just take it out of my credit card I rarely pay attention.

Back
Top Bottom