• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Markets? Why does the right always talk about the 'free markets' like a holy grail?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
When the markets crash or farmers can't sell their crops do the 'free markets' just keep going or does government step in and save the 'free markets'?

When the markets crash or farmers can't sell their crops do the 'free markets' just keep going or does government step in and save the 'free markets'?

I'm not sure this question actually asks anything. Perhaps you should rephrase.

The problem with the right is that they are compelled to pretend that free markets actually exist outside of PP presentations and chalkboards. They don't. They're creatures of myth, worshipped by fools who don't understand that they've never existed.

No the government doesn't save anything. However a placebo can be quite effective.

Either or.

There is no such thing as a free market, there are tariffs, taxes, rules, regulations, subsidies and bailouts.

The last bailout was paid back with interest, so if it happened again I would be in favor of another bailout.

That happens in every market... and I argue "government stepping in" often has long term consequences of lack of risk management, increase of debt and corruption. Sometimes things need to fail because you need the behavior to stop, and have best practices moving forward, instead of the proprietors getting off scot-free, bad market practices being rewarded and ultimately having no progress.

I think the market to be free as possible, not necessarily a free market. Any solution you are trying to concoct should have that value in mind, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom