• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Market Failures in Recessions - Why Obama's Spending is Necessary

OC, OC, welcome back, I was hoping that you would educate me about Buffet's tax rate if he didn't contribute to charity and if that tax rate would still be below his employees? I was so looking forward to getting educated by you and your self stated superior intelligence. I reallly look forward to seeing your brilliance in action.

Then I know I can count on you giving us your solution to the problems we have today and how to put 16 million Americans back to work?

Are you the same person that doens't understand why "discourage workers" don't need to be accounted for in employment numbers because like all the other unemplyed people, they are already filtered out just the same, yet lectures me on your superior knowledge and experience in the market (in between grammar errors and LOLs)?

Are you the same person that doens't understand why "discourage workers" don't need to be accounted for in employment numbers because like all the other unemplyed people, they are already filtered out just the same, yet lectures me on your superior knowledge and experience in the market (in between grammar errors and LOLs)?

I don't have to lecture you because it is obvious which one of us has real life experience. Discouraged workers drop out of the labor market and thus are no longer counted. that is a reality that you seem to not understand. If you take 1.2 million out of the unemployed number vs. 400 thousand looks to me like the unemployment number will look better. The numbers everyone should be looking at are the employment numbers which are worse than they were when Obama took office and the unemployment number which are worse than when the stimulus was signed. Spin those numbers anyway you want.

This will be my only post on this board. You can post as many charts as you want, go back as far as you want and none of those charts, graphs, YouTube videos are going to change the results that Obama has generated while increasing the debt 3 trillion dollars in two years without spending all the stimulus plan and without implementation of the healthcare debacle.

Read: I'll make a weak attempt to refute what you're saying, then I'll run and hide.

I don't have to lecture you because it is obvious which one of us has real life experience. Discouraged workers drop out of the labor market and thus are no longer counted. that is a reality that you seem to not understand. If you take 1.2 million out of the unemployed number vs. 400 thousand looks to me like the unemployment number will look better. The numbers everyone should be looking at are the employment numbers which are worse than they were when Obama took office and the unemployment number which are worse than when the stimulus was signed. Spin those numbers anyway you want.

So you're saying these aren't the employment numbers?

Obama inherits an economy bleeding 500K jobs/month and stabilizes

lns12000000287711128171.gif

Reagan inherits an economy that's creating jobs and it becomes one that's losing them
reagan.gif

Last edited:
So you're saying these aren't the employment numbers?

Obama inherits an economy bleeding 500K jobs/month and stabilizes

lns12000000287711128171.gif

Reagan inherits an economy that's creating jobs and it becomes one that's losing them
reagan.gif

Let me be one of the first to congratulate Barack Obama for stopping the bleeding of jobs and for only losing 3 million since he signed a 842 billion stimulus plan that was for shovel ready projects and would keep unemployment from exceeding 8%.

Then let me be one of the first to thank Barack Obama from having employment drop only 4 million from when he took office. I am sure that 4 million more Americans aren't enough to worry about.

Thank you, Mr. President, for the addition of 3 trillion to our debt all for much needed relief to the labor unions. You are indeed an inspiration to us all

Let me be one of the first to congratulate Barack Obama for stopping the bleeding of jobs and for only losing 3 million since he signed a 842 billion stimulus plan that was for shovel ready projects and would keep unemployment from exceeding 8%.

Then let me be one of the first to thank Barack Obama from having employment drop only 4 million from when he took office. I am sure that 4 million more Americans aren't enough to worry about.

Thank you, Mr. President, for the addition of 3 trillion to our debt all for much needed relief to the labor unions. You are indeed an inspiration to us all

There really is no need for you to act childish.

I have watched the entire video though it was a while back. The point I was making related more to explaining why the bannks needed to be bailed out this time. I understand Friedman goes on to say that the Fed is partyl to blame for getting us into the GD to begin with.

The Fed is mostly, if not all to blame for it.

Had they not let the money supply contract, we probably wouldn't of had a depression.
I'm not advocating for no fed but a smart and lean fed.

Had they not let the money supply contract, we probably wouldn't of had a depression.

Didn't the money supply shrink becuase banks had to take write downs on their mortgage holdings. Didn't the slide stop once the Fed bought all that mortgage paper, opened their window for bank borrowing for other than Treasury paper and Tarp.

The Fed may have been slow to react, but my sense is that we averted a depression not because of stimulus but because the world knew that banks were nt all going under and corporations would be able to continue to borrow.

OC, OC, welcome back, I was hoping that you would educate me about Buffet's tax rate if he didn't contribute to charity and if that tax rate would still be below his employees? I was so looking forward to getting educated by you and your self stated superior intelligence. I reallly look forward to seeing your brilliance in action.

Funny coming from a guy who doesn't have problems demonstrating his large inability to understand the written English Language. His tax rate is below his secretary's before donating anything. That much is obvious to intelligent people.

I understand the difference. And rather than seeing it as an "answer" I see it as a way to stop the bleeding from getting worse and maintaining or even replinishing a certain levek of demand while the private sector recovers.

Fair enough. So you agree that kenysian will not fix this recession? sure it will make the hurt less painful, but no way can it fix it on its own.

Normally, I suppose the Fed could lower interest rates, but this isn't an option this time around.

Indeed. It won't. Furthermore, Japan taught us at near zero during financial recessions doesn't work.

As for Conservative, there's little more then kicks and giggles talking to him. He has literally no idea why a financial recession is a different animal.

Last edited:
Didn't the money supply shrink becuase banks had to take write downs on their mortgage holdings. Didn't the slide stop once the Fed bought all that mortgage paper, opened their window for bank borrowing for other than Treasury paper and Tarp.

The Fed may have been slow to react, but my sense is that we averted a depression not because of stimulus but because the world knew that banks were nt all going under and corporations would be able to continue to borrow.

I was talking about The Depression, not the stuff going on now.

Actually, I believe you are both wrong. Think about the basic laws of economics: supply and demand. When the interest rates are low, money is cheap so demand increases. Lowering rates effectively puts more money into circulation. Rates are raised, demand lowers and the money supply contracts. And this is the main reason we are in this financial mess: basic economic laws.

Home values are still the 800 pound gorilla in the elevator.

First, you look at the Fed and Greenspan. After the dot-com bust, 9/11 and during the recession that followed, the Fed cut rates. As they should in times of weak demand for money. On 1/1/01 the target rate was 6.5%. By 9/1/01, the rate was down to 3.5% to deal with the after-effects of the dot-com bust. That's exactly what the Fed should have done. Then 9/11 sent an already-weakened economy into a shell. By 1/1/02 the rate was down to 1.75%. 4-3/4 points in 12 months. Indeed, the GDP reacted well to the rate cuts. After the initial round of cuts in early 2001, the economy grew at a modest 2.6% in Q2. 9/11, and the economy retracted again, with 2001 finishing with an anemic 1.1% GDP growth.

2002 started off with a bang: 3.5% growth in Q1. Q's 2&3 also showed decent growt - 2.1 and 2% respectively. Q4, war plans accelerate, Wall St. took a bad turn, and the growth slowed to .1%. Rates are cut even more. It works. The economy shows robust growth from 2Q 2003 through Q1 of 2006. BUT - even in the face of that robust growth throughout 2003 and 2004, the Fed rate stayed very low, below 2%, and not starting to creep up until Jan. 2005. That's a very important point, because it was during this time of cheap money and robust growth that the housing bubble grew. The growth of the economy far outstripped any meager Fed rate increases for about 3 years.

It was during this period (2002-2005) that the 5/1 ARMs were all the rage in the mortgage industry. With rates that low, they weren't too difficult a sell. Surely you'll be able to re-fi before that 5 years was up? RIGHT? Not so fast, my friends. Starting in mid-2005, the Fed rate climbed steadily. In 2007, the first wave of ARMs adjusted. Foreclosures increased. In 2008, it really hit. 2003 was a big year for ARM sales in the mortgage industry. Most of these were targeted in the subprime market, which grew to historical heights in 2004-2006. In 2006, home values started dropping for the first time in nearly a generation. Most ARMs in the subprime market were no-cost closings. Home values declined, and people couldn't re-fi their ARMs. When they re-set, they couldn't make the payments.

What most people with 5/1's didn't count on was losing their job. 2.5 million of them did from Q2 of 2007 to Q3 of 2008. By the end of 2008, that number had swelled to 3.87 million. Kind of hard to re-fi without a job. It was in Q2 of 2007 that foreclosure rates hit historic highs, and then took off like a rocket from there.

Bubble becomes bust. Subprime paper takes down Wall St. TARP has to step in and avert financial calamity.

But here is the salient point: by keeping the Fed rate artificially low for too long, Greenspan and the Fed actually laid the groundwork for the housing bust that lies at the root of the economic downturn. Had those rates risen at a historical rate with the growth of the economy, many, if not most, of those ARMs wouldn't have been sold because the rates would not have been affordable by so many subprime borrowers. If the rates had risen in 2003 in concert with the economic growth over the same period, the meltdown would have been FAR less severe. It would still have happened, but the effects (and cure) wouldn't have been as drastic.

As it stands now, home values are still somewhat higher than the historical pre-bubble trend would indicate.

But as I've said for a long time now: the economy is not going to rebound as long as home prices remain stagnant or drop more. We're in a catch-22. We need home prices to rebound. They aren't going to. They're right at or just above where they should, historically, be. Taxes will not effect home values. Income will not effect home values. Stimulus will not effect home values. Tightened spending will not effect home values.

There's only one real answer for those of us that are making mortgage payments: hold on to your job and pray that you don't have to try to sell your house for any reason unless you have at least 10 years' equity to cover your loss.

Now, what was it you guys were saying about consumer confidence and how tax rates and government spending do or don't cause recessions? [/sarc]

Fed rates
Foreclosure chart
Quarterly GDP figures
bls.gov Labor Statistics
Home prices and trends

Funny coming from a guy who doesn't have problems demonstrating his large inability to understand the written English Language. His tax rate is below his secretary's before donating anything. That much is obvious to intelligent people.

Obviously I am not that intelligent as I continue to respond to you. I was hoping that you would answer my question but guess that was too much to ask. Have a good one.

Actually, I believe you are both wrong. Think about the basic laws of economics: supply and demand. When the interest rates are low, money is cheap so demand increases. Lowering rates effectively puts more money into circulation. Rates are raised, demand lowers and the money supply contracts. And this is the main reason we are in this financial mess: basic economic laws.

Home values are still the 800 pound gorilla in the elevator.

First, you look at the Fed and Greenspan. After the dot-com bust, 9/11 and during the recession that followed, the Fed cut rates. As they should in times of weak demand for money. On 1/1/01 the target rate was 6.5%. By 9/1/01, the rate was down to 3.5% to deal with the after-effects of the dot-com bust. That's exactly what the Fed should have done. Then 9/11 sent an already-weakened economy into a shell. By 1/1/02 the rate was down to 1.75%. 4-3/4 points in 12 months. Indeed, the GDP reacted well to the rate cuts. After the initial round of cuts in early 2001, the economy grew at a modest 2.6% in Q2. 9/11, and the economy retracted again, with 2001 finishing with an anemic 1.1% GDP growth.

2002 started off with a bang: 3.5% growth in Q1. Q's 2&3 also showed decent growt - 2.1 and 2% respectively. Q4, war plans accelerate, Wall St. took a bad turn, and the growth slowed to .1%. Rates are cut even more. It works. The economy shows robust growth from 2Q 2003 through Q1 of 2006. BUT - even in the face of that robust growth throughout 2003 and 2004, the Fed rate stayed very low, below 2%, and not starting to creep up until Jan. 2005. That's a very important point, because it was during this time of cheap money and robust growth that the housing bubble grew. The growth of the economy far outstripped any meager Fed rate increases for about 3 years.

It was during this period (2002-2005) that the 5/1 ARMs were all the rage in the mortgage industry. With rates that low, they weren't too difficult a sell. Surely you'll be able to re-fi before that 5 years was up? RIGHT? Not so fast, my friends. Starting in mid-2005, the Fed rate climbed steadily. In 2007, the first wave of ARMs adjusted. Foreclosures increased. In 2008, it really hit. 2003 was a big year for ARM sales in the mortgage industry. Most of these were targeted in the subprime market, which grew to historical heights in 2004-2006. In 2006, home values started dropping for the first time in nearly a generation. Most ARMs in the subprime market were no-cost closings. Home values declined, and people couldn't re-fi their ARMs. When they re-set, they couldn't make the payments.

What most people with 5/1's didn't count on was losing their job. 2.5 million of them did from Q2 of 2007 to Q3 of 2008. By the end of 2008, that number had swelled to 3.87 million. Kind of hard to re-fi without a job. It was in Q2 of 2007 that foreclosure rates hit historic highs, and then took off like a rocket from there.

Bubble becomes bust. Subprime paper takes down Wall St. TARP has to step in and avert financial calamity.

But here is the salient point: by keeping the Fed rate artificially low for too long, Greenspan and the Fed actually laid the groundwork for the housing bust that lies at the root of the economic downturn. Had those rates risen at a historical rate with the growth of the economy, many, if not most, of those ARMs wouldn't have been sold because the rates would not have been affordable by so many subprime borrowers. If the rates had risen in 2003 in concert with the economic growth over the same period, the meltdown would have been FAR less severe. It would still have happened, but the effects (and cure) wouldn't have been as drastic.

As it stands now, home values are still somewhat higher than the historical pre-bubble trend would indicate.

But as I've said for a long time now: the economy is not going to rebound as long as home prices remain stagnant or drop more. We're in a catch-22. We need home prices to rebound. They aren't going to. They're right at or just above where they should, historically, be. Taxes will not effect home values. Income will not effect home values. Stimulus will not effect home values. Tightened spending will not effect home values.

There's only one real answer for those of us that are making mortgage payments: hold on to your job and pray that you don't have to try to sell your house for any reason unless you have at least 10 years' equity to cover your loss.

Now, what was it you guys were saying about consumer confidence and how tax rates and government spending do or don't cause recessions? [/sarc]

Fed rates
Foreclosure chart
Quarterly GDP figures
bls.gov Labor Statistics
Home prices and trends

Thanks for the history lesson hotshot. Now would you please point out where I mentioned EITHER tax rates or consumer confidence.

What you forgot to mention is that Greenspan endorsed the funky mortgages that caused so much trouble. The Fed as bank regulator could have made moves that would have made those loans less desireable. You also did not mention money supply and how the Fed dealt with both our trade and federal deficits which caused a flood on money that needed a home.

But again thanks for the history review. Not sure many economists agree that the Fed was spot on the last 15 years.

Thanks for the history lesson hotshot.

No problem, slick.

Now would you please point out where I mentioned EITHER tax rates or consumer confidence.

YOU didn't. That was aimed at the more general tenor of the thread. The part that was applicable to you was:

When the interest rates are low, money is cheap so demand increases. Lowering rates effectively puts more money into circulation. Rates are raised, demand lowers and the money supply contracts.

In response to:

Didn't the money supply shrink becuase banks had to take write downs on their mortgage holdings.

The money supply didn't shrink. By holding rates ridiculously low (and firing up the printing presses), the Fed expanded the money supply. It's just that none of it managed to trickle down to us in the unwashed classes. The money they printed was used to prop up the houses of cards on Wall St., and the money that naturally was available due to the low interest rates was hoarded by the lenders.

What you forgot to mention is that Greenspan endorsed the funky mortgages that caused so much trouble.

Sorry, I thought that:

by keeping the Fed rate artificially low for too long, Greenspan and the Fed actually laid the groundwork for the housing bust

was sufficient to allow folks to decide that for themselves. Sometimes the best arguments are the ones that allow people to reach the desired conclusion on their own.

The Fed as bank regulator could have made moves that would have made those loans less desireable.

Which is what I said:

Had those rates risen at a historical rate with the growth of the economy, many, if not most, of those ARMs wouldn't have been sold because the rates would not have been affordable by so many subprime borrowers.

You also did not mention money supply and how the Fed dealt with both our trade and federal deficits which caused a flood on money that needed a home.

Actually, I did mention money supply in a general sort of way, but I'm not dealing with those issues in this thread. Just the fact that by keeping rates at an artificially low level for too long, Greenspan and the Fed precipitated and enabled the housing downturn.

But again thanks for the history review.

My pleasure, Skippy. I'll be happy to educate you further if you like.

Not sure many economists agree that the Fed was spot on the last 15 years.

I never said they were. They were spot on with what they did in 2001-2002, and the effects on the economy bear that out. Where they defiled the canine was in not moving rates at a level commensurate with the econonomic growth that took place over the same period.

So you do agree that the graph you keep pretending doesn't exist shows that Reagan was inaugurated in an economy that was creating jobs and it soon turned into one that was bleeding jobs, whereas Obama walked into one that was losing jobs and at the very least, it flattened out a few months later?

And the numbers you keep spouting in attempt to ignore the above fact; do they include the 800,000 jobs that were lost the month Obama was inaugurated in? I mean, even that month counts against him?

So you do agree that the graph you keep pretending doesn't exist shows that Reagan was inaugurated in an economy that was creating jobs and it soon turned into one that was bleeding jobs, whereas Obama walked into one that was losing jobs and at the very least, it flattened out a few months later?

And the numbers you keep spouting in attempt to ignore the above fact; do they include the 800,000 jobs that were lost the month Obama was inaugurated in? I mean, even that month counts against him?

What happened during the Reagan years, the GHW Bush years, Clinton years, and GW Bush years are irrelevant to what is happening today. The facts are there for all to see, 15.8 million Americans unemployed, lost jobs every month this year vs. last year, 4 million reduction in employment all in 2010 with Barack Obama as President. Hardly a record to tout.

Here are the results you want to ignore, don't blame you. Unemployment by month. Notice 2010 numbers vs. 2009.

Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
2008 7628 7435 7793 7631 8397 8560 8895 9509 9569 10172 10617 11400
2009 11919 12714 13310 13816 14518 14721 14534 14993 15159 15612 15340 15267
2010 14837 14871 15005 15260 14973 14623 14599

2008 467 396 401 412 400 420 461 381 467 484 608 642
2009 734 731 685 740 792 793 796 758 706 808 861 929
2010 1065 1204 994 1197 1083 1207 1185

Unemployed + Discouraged
2008 8095 7831 8194 8043 8797 8980 9356 9890 10036 10656 11225 12042
2009 12653 13445 13995 14556 15310 15514 15330 15751 15865 16420 16201 16196
2010 15902 16075 15999 16457 16056 15830 15784

Last edited: