• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Free Childcare

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post, great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is significantly easier to buy a first home today than in 1980, this is a fact.

Be honest and run the numbers, it's not even close. Not by a lot.

Peace

Does ease of obtaining credit equal affordability to you?

it would be easier to administrate and easier to make sure that the payments go to a qualified daycare or person competent to care for the kid...and not going for other expenditures.

Perhaps, but think more about the big picture: this is about buying votes - not paying for ‘qualified’ out of the home childcare. Not much is easier to administrate than giving away cash on a per minor dependent child basis.

Perhaps, but think more about the big picture: this is about buying votes - not paying for ‘qualified’ out of the home childcare. Not much is easier to administrate than giving away cash on a per minor dependent child basis.
Is public school vote buying? Is military spending vote buying? This logic could be used in ANY government spending.

No, it has been their agenda for a long time...this isn't about buying votes, it is their platform.....just by happenchance doing this also is something the people want, regardless of how it happens....they don't really care if the check comes to their house or to the daycare.

Goodbye school voucher program
Does that help children get a better education?

BTW, why does “making the child tax credit permanent” end after 2025, yet the tax increases said to ‘fully fund it’ continue for another 7 years?

No, it has been their agenda for a long time...this isn't about buying votes, it is their platform.....just by happenchance doing this also is something the people want, regardless of how it happens....they don't really care if the check comes to their house or to the daycare.

Sure they do, because that allows them to get paid (in tax free cash) to care for their own children.

I would assume, like with the child tax credit, you have to have some proof of them being in child care.

Nope, that assumption is baseless. This, BTW, is being touted as ”making the (2021) refundable child tax credit permanent” despite expiring after 2025. Why so? Because using that ‘budget math’ allows for 10 years of increased federal taxation to ‘fully pay for’ 4 years of new federal spending. Yep, the last 6 years (the big half?) of Biden’s 10 year BBB plan are without any funding for the (allegedly) “permanent” child tax credit.

Please educate yourself:

Nope, that assumption is baseless. This, BTW, is being touted as ”making the (2021) refundable child tax credit permanent” despite expiring after 2025. Why so? Because using that ‘budget math’ allows for 10 years of increased federal taxation to ‘fully pay for’ 4 years of new federal spending. Yep, the last 6 years (the big half?) of Biden’s 10 year BBB plan are without any funding for the (allegedly) “permanent” child tax credit.

Please educate yourself:

There has been a child tax credit for years...the difference now is you can get it monthly instead of all in one lump sum. My kids are grown....which I am happy they are...I thought it was rough when they were growing up...it is much worse now.

Whether or not to provide this service, subsidized child care, to low wage workers is not the question.
I disagree, it is just one of many valid questions we should be asking.

The question we should be asking is why is this group of people all of whom are working regular jobs are having to depend on the government to help with their food, housing, health insurance, heating fuels (in the north) and daycare costs.
That's a good question, but there is no one single or simple answer.

These are people working 5 days a week 6 to 10 hours a day yet can't support a family even with two people working.
Why should individuals, or couples, who are unable to provide their own needs be entitled to be subsidized by other working taxpayers for a want which was not a need?

Nobody is asking why people who work 30 to 50 hours a week can't pay for their basic needs.
I believe such a question has been asked many times, but again, there is no one single or simple answer to that question.

This is not happening in small isolated groups in one or two states. Across the nation low wage workers are, to some extent, dependent on subsidies for basic living costs which they should be able to pay themselves. And this is happening at a time when the employers of these people (ex. big box stores, grocery chains, e-commerce corporations) are taking in their biggest profits, paying their C-suite administrators higher salaries and both are paying the lowest taxes in decades.
Of course not.
Low wage workers are those who perform low wage value labor.
Our fractional reserve, fiat monetary system has exacerbated the inequality of individuals greatly.
I'm all for making massive changes to our tax system, however NOT for the purpose of increasing/continuing Federal government subsidies.
Our monetary system is something we're stuck with, but repealing the 16th and 17th amendments, eliminating the Federal income tax, giving back States a voice in controlling Federal spending and providing the revenue needed for the operation of our Federal government is where and how we might begin to fix everything that appears is broken now.

Exactly who is it we are we subsidizing?
The rich, the poor, foreign nations, Federal, State, and local governments.
But that leaves the question of "Who aren't we subsidizing?"
Which I would answer, "The hard working middle class who are gradually shrinking in number, with more becoming dependent on government than NOT."

I actually think that child care should be sliding scale and funded in credits for those who cannot afford it. For instance if the mom of 3 makes 15 an hour...she would pay up to 20% of her income for childcare. That is $120 a week or $480 a month, less than she would pay for 1 child now, but low enough she can afford it....the only time it should be free is if someone is making less than $9 an hour.

I'd have it a little higher. $15 is below median hourly wage, and I'd choose the median because some time in their life it's REALLY likely everyone will get a turn.

Less than $9, I certainly agree. But no-one should have to work such a job (minimum wage $12-15)

Number of US Americans who would benefit at some time in their life from child tax credits:

71% according to US Census

Super-majority!

There has been a child tax credit for years...the difference now is you can get it monthly instead of all in one lump sum. My kids are grown....which I am happy they are...I thought it was rough when they were growing up...it is much worse now.

OK, then why is it scheduled to go away after 2025?

BTW, why does “making the child tax credit permanent” end after 2025, yet the tax increases said to ‘fully fund it’ continue for another 7 years?
Because our country is stupid. It’s also why we cut taxes without cutting spending.

Why should individuals, or couples, who are unable to provide their own needs be entitled to be subsidized by other working taxpayers for a want which was not a need?
Child-care is a need if a family has to have both adults in the family working in order to keep the family out of poverty and 100% support.
Low wage workers are those who perform low wage value labor.
I disagree. All jobs have value. If they were not needed they would not be offered. Grocery stores must have the carts returned from the parking lot to the store. Hotel owners must have linens folded and rooms cleaned. Dishes must get washed in restaurants. Floors must get swept in factories, stores, schools. If someone is willing to work 30 to 40 hours a week at a job an employer need to have done their pay should cover their basic needs: food, housing, healthcare, child care, without government subsidy.
But that leaves the question of "Who aren't we subsidizing?"
Which I would answer, "The hard working middle class who are gradually shrinking in number, with more becoming dependent on government than NOT."
You are right the middle class is subsidizing the poor. We understand why we are subsidizing the poor. The question is why are subsidizing the rich

Child-care is a need if a family has to have both adults in the family working in order to keep the family out of poverty and 100% support.
People who are living in poverty, especially couples where both are working and still in poverty, should put off having children until one or both begin to earn enough to provide for both their own as well as the needs of a child.

I disagree. All jobs have value. If they were not needed they would not be offered. Grocery stores must have the carts returned from the parking lot to the store. Hotel owners must have linens folded and rooms cleaned. Dishes must get washed in restaurants. Floors must get swept in factories, stores, schools. If someone is willing to work 30 to 40 hours a week at a job an employer need to have done their pay should cover their basic needs: food, housing, healthcare, child care, without government subsidy.
I agree "all jobs have value", but a great many don't have the value needed to take someone out of poverty. Perhaps 60 or 80 hours, or even more would be needed if someone is only capable of performing low value labor. Before I left the States I knew of several part time workers who were offered full time employment, but refused to work past the point where it would reduce/eliminate their government subsidies. And $10/hour was the starting pay.

You are right the middle class is subsidizing the poor. We understand why we are subsidizing the poor. The question is why are subsidizing the rich
Subsidizing the poor subsidizes the rich.

People who are living in poverty, especially couples where both are working and still in poverty, should put off having children until one or both begin to earn enough to provide for both their own as well as the needs of a child.

I agree "all jobs have value", but a great many don't have the value needed to take someone out of poverty. Perhaps 60 or 80 hours, or even more would be needed if someone is only capable of performing low value labor. Before I left the States I knew of several part time workers who were offered full time employment, but refused to work past the point where it would reduce/eliminate their government subsidies. And $10/hour was the starting pay.

Subsidizing the poor subsidizes the rich.
situations and circumstances in life change.....someone may be perfectly able to provide for their children and them boom something changes....a person dies, gets injured at work, divorce, natural disasters, etc...

Since local cost of living (COL) varies greatly within the US, a one size fits all (federal) approach is foolish for both establishing a MW and attempting to establish an array of “safety net” programs allegedly required to supplement that (lack of) earned income. Oddly, the federal government seems to fully realize this basic fact and gives federal workers “locality pay”, yet has no such (geographic COL) variation for other federal program benefits such as Social Security or SNAP.

situations and circumstances in life change.....someone may be perfectly able to provide for their children and them boom something changes....a person dies, gets injured at work, divorce, natural disasters, etc...

Yep, yet that is not the basis for how IRS doles out child tax credits.

And then there are those create situations and circumstances at an early age.

And then there are those create situations and circumstances at an early age.
so? I suppose you think children should just be homeless or starve, because of the choices their parents made at a young age....and I bet you think abortion should be illegal as well.

Back
Top Bottom