• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France attacks

Quag

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Ok the other WW2 thread got kinda hijacked there but I brought up the idea in it of what would have happened if France/Britain attacked Germany while Germany was still busy with Poland instead of just sitting around waiting for Germany to attack them.

Personally I believe it would have ended WWII before it really got started, Germany was in no position to fight on both fronts at the time. Pretty much all of the German units that were mobile enough to allow for the blitzkrieg tactics were busy with Poland so the much larger French army would not have to worry about such tactics, they could just plow in like a sledgehammer.

Now what I am interested in is what would happen afterwards. Would Russia still have invaded Poland? If so would the British and French go to war with Russia over Poland? If so how would it turn out?

Attack through France or through Benelux?

Ok the other WW2 thread got kinda hijacked there but I brought up the idea in it of what would have happened if France/Britain attacked Germany while Germany was still busy with Poland instead of just sitting around waiting for Germany to attack them.

Personally I believe it would have ended WWII before it really got started, Germany was in no position to fight on both fronts at the time. Pretty much all of the German units that were mobile enough to allow for the blitzkrieg tactics were busy with Poland so the much larger French army would not have to worry about such tactics, they could just plow in like a sledgehammer.

Now what I am interested in is what would happen afterwards. Would Russia still have invaded Poland? If so would the British and French go to war with Russia over Poland? If so how would it turn out?

You might as well speculate about what if space aliens intervened in World War II, as speculate about anything that depends on the French doing anything other than surrendering and kissing the asses of their invaders. Fish swim; birds fly, and the French surrender. That's just how it is.

frenchy.jpg

They did, but only in a very small respect. France was suffering too much political turmoil to be an effective fighting force.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_Offensive
Soldat_Franc%C3%A8s_al_Saar.jpg

They did, but only in a very small respect. France was suffering too much political turmoil to be an effective fighting force.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saar_Offensive
Soldat_Franc%C3%A8s_al_Saar.jpg

This is a what if scenario. What if the French really attacked not made a half hearted small incursion. But actually attacked. I think it is a more realistic what if as it depends on political/military decisions not on a victory that could not have happened militarily due to lack of forces/resources/logistics such as others that have been presented but more on a lack of morale which is harder pin down

France and England encouraged Germany to war. The first step was to expand Germany's annexation of the Saar in the West - the German territory, which the Treaty of Versailles was ceded to France, happened peacefully - January 13, 1935 France held a referendum in which the majority of the population supported the inclusion in Germany. Anschluss of Austria March 12, 1938 in the south of the Third Reich. By the way, the propaganda regarded this new act of aggression as a "peace-loving' step''. Hitler was said to thereby allegedly no gave Austria plunge into civil war. In 1938, Moscow proposed to the UK and France make a joint demarche to the defense of Czechoslovakia, promising to adhere strictly to guarantee mutual assistance she provided Paris and Prague. London regarded her initiative as "premature." A month later, Russia offered Britain and France enter into a formal tripartite alliance. Britain and France refused to. September 29, 1938, British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, French Prime Minister Edouard Daladier, Italian dictator Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler in Munich Residence, that redraw the map of Europe. The Munich Agreement was signed by them in the night from 29 to 30 September 1938. Under this agreement, Germany received the right to the annexation of the Sudetenland, and in those areas where the German population exceeded 50%. The agreement also required that Czechoslovakia had not participated in the Munich conference to clear before 10 October 1938. territory of the Sudetenland, which were then introduced by German troops. Rightly be seen as the beginning WW2. of 1938.

France and England encouraged Germany to war. The first step was to expand Germany's annexation of the Saar in the West - the German territory, which the Treaty of Versailles was ceded to France, happened peacefully - January 13, 1935 France held a referendum in which the majority of the population supported the inclusion in Germany. Anschluss of Austria March 12, 1938 in the south of the Third Reich. By the way, the propaganda regarded this new act of aggression as a "peace-loving' step''. Hitler was said to thereby allegedly no gave Austria plunge into civil war. In 1938, Moscow proposed to the UK and France make a joint demarche to the defense of Czechoslovakia, promising to adhere strictly to guarantee mutual assistance she provided Paris and Prague. London regarded her initiative as "premature." A month later, Russia offered Britain and France enter into a formal tripartite alliance. Britain and France refused to. September 29, 1938, British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, French Prime Minister Edouard Daladier, Italian dictator Benito Mussolini and Adolf Hitler in Munich Residence, that redraw the map of Europe. The Munich Agreement was signed by them in the night from 29 to 30 September 1938. Under this agreement, Germany received the right to the annexation of the Sudetenland, and in those areas where the German population exceeded 50%. The agreement also required that Czechoslovakia had not participated in the Munich conference to clear before 10 October 1938. territory of the Sudetenland, which were then introduced by German troops. Rightly be seen as the beginning WW2. of 1938.

What does this have to do with the OP?

What does this have to do with the OP?

This is an introduction to correct the issue. Germany, France, Britain, Italy. And joined them Poland, attack on the Soviet Union. (the Polish government, Wladyslaw Sikorski, has declared war on the Soviet Union On year and a half years earlier than Germany). Because really was a conspiracy of the European powers to Hitler (much earlier than the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact) with the aim of destroying the Soviet Union.

This is an introduction to correct the issue. Germany, France, Britain, Italy. And joined them Poland, attack on the Soviet Union. (the Polish government, Wladyslaw Sikorski, has declared war on the Soviet Union On year and a half years earlier than Germany). Because really was a conspiracy of the European powers to Hitler (much earlier than the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact) with the aim of destroying the Soviet Union.

So it has nothing to do with the op just revisionist history ok

You might as well speculate about what if space aliens intervened in World War II, as speculate about anything that depends on the French doing anything other than surrendering and kissing the asses of their invaders. Fish swim; birds fly, and the French surrender. That's just how it is.

View attachment 67150409

This statement is beyond ridiculous. Do some research on France in World War I and the Battle of Verdun. French troops held the Germans for ten months, resulting in the loss of almost 400,000 soldiers. They lost more troops in one battle holding the Germans at bay than the U.S lost in the entire Vietnam war. There's enough things to mock the French for, but cowardice isn't one of them. Stop spouting off about things you know nothing about.

maybe they couldnt realize how dangerous teh nazi attacks were and how rapidly it was increasing its power

so they needed to stop this rival after letting millions of people be killed

This statement is beyond ridiculous. Do some research on France in World War I and the Battle of Verdun. French troops held the Germans for ten months, resulting in the loss of almost 400,000 soldiers. They lost more troops in one battle holding the Germans at bay than the U.S lost in the entire Vietnam war. There's enough things to mock the French for, but cowardice isn't one of them. Stop spouting off about things you know nothing about.

And there are plenty of accounts of French courage going back for long before World War One. At one time, they had it. Some time between the two World Wars, they lost it completely, and have never shown any sign of regaining it. Perhaps all the Frenchmen who had any courage at the time died in World War One, leaving only the vilest of cowards to reproduce and pass their traits on to any future generations of French.

But I was not referring to the French of a century or more ago; I am referring to the French as they have existed for all of my lifetime and for at least a few decades before that point.

And there are plenty of accounts of French courage going back for long before World War One. At one time, they had it. Some time between the two World Wars, they lost it completely, and have never shown any sign of regaining it. Perhaps all the Frenchmen who had any courage at the time died in World War One, leaving only the vilest of cowards to reproduce and pass their traits on to any future generations of French.

I guess you never heard of the really lovely places they have been in the last several decades.

Dien Bien Phu and the rest of French Indochina
Angolan War of Independence
Lebanon (they took more casualties then the US did, and remained longer)

And many other conflicts. I may question the political will of the French Government, but not the ability of their military.

I guess you never heard of the really lovely places they have been in the last several decades.

Dien Bien Phu and the rest of French Indochina
Angolan War of Independence
Lebanon (they took more casualties then the US did, and remained longer)

And many other conflicts. I may question the political will of the French Government, but not the ability of their military.

Algeria also

The French may have had modern equipment and many men, but their training and command was mediocre (one of the main reasons why the Germans were so successful), and even if they did attempt a large-scale offensive, they would had to face the Siegfried line, a German and a softer version of the Maginot line. I doubt that it will have been effective.

Back
Top Bottom