• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leaders

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

yer equating wearing a scarf in a religious meeting...with Southern Jim Crow. Absurd.

Yeah...it's totally absurd to compare two instances of a segment of the population being treated as second class citizens. So dumb!

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

Yeah...it's totally absurd to compare two instances of a segment of the population being treated as second class citizens. So dumb!

Viva LePen!

yawn...
FFS...the wearing of a head covering, A SCARF, in a religious setting, is practiced within many Abrahamic and Judaic sects, it is most often associated with submission and obedience to their God. I will bet dollar to doughnuts Le Penn practiced this in her Church. This was nothing more than, again, a setup for her Islamaphobe minions.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I would vote for her and am betting on her to win. Viva Le Pen! There may be some hope for France yet.

It is considered a sign of respect for anyone in a synagogue to wear a Kippah.[41] Yarmulkes are often provided to guests at a Bar or Bat Mitzvah.[42] According to the Conservative Committee on Jewish Law and Standards, there is no halakhic reason to require a non-Jew to cover their head, but it is recommended that non-Jews be asked to wear a kippah where ritual or worship is being conducted out of respect for the Jewish congregation as well as out of respect for the non-Jew.[43]

*yawn*

It's totes not treating women like second class citizens because men have to wear it too...wait...

A woman should not wear the veil on her head, until she is wearing it first on her heart.

A woman who wears the veil on her heart accepts the place that God gives to women in the Church, the family, and society.

Women who wear the veil on their hearts are imitating the Virgin Mary in her humility, submissiveness, and obedience to Christ.

*yawn*

It's totes not treating women like second class citizens because men have to wear it too...wait...
In the Western world, these caps are known as kufis. In Pakistan, they are referred to as topis. According to Muslim tradition, Muhammad's companions were never seen with their heads uncovered. Muslim men often wear a flowing headdress known as the keffiyah along with the taqiyah.

Far from a fan of her extremism politically, but good for her in this instance.

A woman should not wear the veil on her head, until she is wearing it first on her heart.

A woman who wears the veil on her heart accepts the place that God gives to women in the Church, the family, and society.

Women who wear the veil on their hearts are imitating the Virgin Mary in her humility, submissiveness, and obedience to Christ.

A woman should only wear the veil if she doesn't want to be honor killed or beat by her husband or family.

^---You for got that part. How many countries in the ME have you been to or Muslim majority? I've been to 5 and your ignorance is astounding.

In the Western world, these caps are known as kufis. In Pakistan, they are referred to as topis. According to Muslim tradition, Muhammad's companions were never seen with their heads uncovered. Muslim men often wear a flowing headdress known as the keffiyah along with the taqiyah.

You don't think the other areas and religions where the women are made to wear head scarfs or coverings aren't patriarchal? Interesting.

I get to chose what I respond to, I'm just trying to figure out this weird first line of yours that is misogyny, and then you accuse me of the thing you are posting. Unfathomable.

I find it unfathomable that you find the sarcasm font unfathomable. Not really. I don't find it unfathomable that you don't get it.

Thanks, but this is the broad summation. I am looking for specifics especially in regards to the meeting with the Islamic leaders, namely the intended topic and venue. I believe that both are crucial in determining if whether she acted in anyway incorrectly.

I don't know about the topic. Knowing her it would probably be about the role of political Islam in the West and other similar issues. But the venue was the Aïcha Bakkar Mosque in Beirut according to the newspapers. She was to meet with the Grand Mufti of Lebanon in his office which is located inside the Mosque.

ETA: Sorry, I only have French sources for this. They seem to be the only ones who give more of the sort of details you seek. Namely, Le Monde and Le Figaro. Nothing on the topics of conversation however.

Last edited:

Thanks, but this is the broad summation. I am looking for specifics especially in regards to the meeting with the Islamic leaders, namely the intended topic and venue. I believe that both are crucial in determining if whether she acted in anyway incorrectly.

Okay I just found a French language Lebanese publication that gives a lot more details on the topics she wanted to talk about: Islamic radicalization and how to fight it and religious coexistence as per the Lebanese model. This is from L'Orient, Le Jour.

https://www.lorientlejour.com/article/1036785/pour-marine-le-pen-une-visite-libanaise-haute-en-symbolesmeme-a-dar-el-fatwa-.html

I still think she did the right thing by refusing to cover her head. This was not a religious event inside the Mosque, it was a meeting with a French presidential candidate. They often chose Lebanon as the first foreign country they visit during their campaigns.

Last edited:

You RARELY see catholic women wearing a veil, like as in never.

You RARELY see catholic women wearing a veil, like as in never.

In some sects of Catholicism...yes. Mainstream...not really. The only one is some convents have them, some do not. My Aunt's did not have a head covering.

In some sects of Catholicism...yes. Mainstream...not really. The only one is some convents have them, some do not. My Aunt's did not have a head covering.

Point being, it's very rare, and it's something voluntary that the woman can choose or not choose to do.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

I would probably wear one if they were being respectful and asked as a courtesy but if the meeting was based on me wearing it or not, I wouldn't wear it either.

I would probably wear one if they were being respectful and asked as a courtesy but if the meeting was based on me wearing it or not, I wouldn't wear it either.

I have no problem with that as it is and should be your choice.

Okay I just found a French language Lebanese publication that gives a lot more details on the topics she wanted to talk about: Islamic radicalization and how to fight it and religious coexistence as per the Lebanese model. This is from L'Orient, Le Jour.

https://www.lorientlejour.com/article/1036785/pour-marine-le-pen-une-visite-libanaise-haute-en-symbolesmeme-a-dar-el-fatwa-.html

I still think she did the right thing by refusing to cover her head. This was not a religious event inside the Mosque, it was a meeting with a French presidential candidate. They often chose Lebanon as the first foreign country they visit during their campaigns.
Again thank you. Now that more details are clear I can honestly share your position. Details can and do make a big difference.

Why you gotta be all reasonable and Shiite? :shrug:

NEWS FLASH!!!

Nearly all religions are paternalistic.

Hurr Durr.

First off, Hinduism has many paternalistic/oppressive practices, and I find it weird that you would expect Le Pen to observe religious etiquette in a Hindu setting, but not in a Muslim setting.

First of all, you know jack **** about "Hinduism" which isn't even a single religion at all, but is a polyglot like Shintoism in Japan.
You quote a paper from a sectarian Muslim writer in Pakistan of all places - a writer who's never written a critical word against her own Muslim religion, but who instead only publishes papers attacking other religions. This is like an Iranian writer critiquing Judaism - what else is new?

The paper begins with
"Womanhood began with the birth of Eve"

Eve exists in Christian, Jewish and Muslim religious teaching, but not in anybody else's.

My own mother was born a Hindu in Pakistan, and had to flee that country with her family when she was little, because of how Hindus are treated there - like 3rd class citizens - treatment which you and your fellow sectarianist Tahira Basharat seem to endorse. Your comments say more about you than about the subject you choose to comment upon.

592596a42000003200cb2668.jpg

Back
Top Bottom