• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leaders

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

Below is a link to an article discussing the kind of shi#-logic progressives espouse when it comes to competing factions within their own camp. I simply love watching them devour one another.

How Intersectionality Makes You Stupid

Proponents of intersectionality have elevated its categorical paradigms of all-encompassing, omnipresent “oppression,” and its attendant, identity-based hierarchies of virtue, to that of a Weltanschauung, a new morality to replace the basic, classical liberal principles of freedom, individual rights, and equality before the law on which Western civilization is based. Because of intersectionality’s insistence that identity politics trumps all, reflexive condemnation replaces reasoned discussion, and those claiming to represent a higher good smother the rights of individuals. Likewise, intersectionality compels one to adopt agendas that have nothing to do with his or her own. Worse, in the name of “solidarity” with other supposedly “oppressed” groups, it leads to alliances with those actively hostile to one’s cause. This is how a gay rights organization led by well-meaning progressives can be duped into disinviting private citizens of the one country in the Middle East respecting the humanity of gays, all at the behest of people who use cultural relativism to excuse Muslim societies that throw homosexuals from the tops of buildings.

Last edited:
Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

They did it out of respect for the setting.

Visiting mosques and other religious sites, yes. But in meeting with Arabic or Iranian officials, IMO it simply is submitting to the others' expectations. But not all women are so submissive. Queen Elizabeth, for instance, dresses modestly and dons one of her famous hats when visiting mosques, etc. in Arabic countries, but she doesn't wear the jihab.

Whut? All sorts of religious followers in the US wear various forms of head coverings in their ceremonies.

Good grief....seriously?

Yeah, why should we extend visitors rights that they refuse to extend to us?

Visiting mosques and other religious sites, yes. But in meeting with Arabic or Iranian officials, IMO it simply is submitting to the others' expectations.
Well, that is the point, isn't it. That is what I have been trying to get through, when visiting another country, you should follow etiquette, especially when a diplomat (or acting in anticipation of that capacity).

The Grand Mufti offered a slightly different story. In a statement, his press office said it had informed Le Pen in advance that she'd need to cover her head in accordance with the rulings of Dar al-Fatwa, the highest Sunni authority in Lebanon.

But not all women are so submissive. Queen Elizabeth, for instance, dresses modestly and dons one of her famous hats when visiting mosques, etc. in Arabic countries, but she doesn't wear the jihab.
I already covered that, and Le Pen is not the Queen.....but if she visited the Buckingham, I bet she would follow court rules.

She needed a news article showing her open defiance to Muslims to try and bump her numbers up.

She got it.

Yeah, why should we extend visitors rights that they refuse to extend to us?
I have no idea what this blurt means.

Bravo for Marine Le Pen! People like the ones she was to meet with had better get used to having their demands ignored.

The fascist goes to Lebanon to meet religious leaders, knowing their practices require head covering...and she refuses.

It was a publicity move, red meat for her Islamophobe minions.

What garbage - head coverings are THEIR religious beliefs not hers, so THEY can wear head coverings if they like, and shouldn't impose on others. Muslims are all about imposing on everyone else and telling them what to do, while never listening to or respecting others.

What garbage - head coverings are THEIR religious beliefs not hers, so THEY can wear head coverings if they like, and shouldn't impose on others. Muslims are all about imposing on everyone else and telling them what to do, while never listening to or respecting others.

Queen_bow_Pope.jpg

bush bow.jpg

Well, that is the point, isn't it. That is what I have been trying to get through, when visiting another country, you should follow etiquette, especially when a diplomat (or acting in anticipation of that capacity).

The Grand Mufti offered a slightly different story. In a statement, his press office said it had informed Le Pen in advance that she'd need to cover her head in accordance with the rulings of Dar al-Fatwa, the highest Sunni authority in Lebanon.

I already covered that, and Le Pen is not the Queen.....but if she visited the Buckingham, I bet she would follow court rules.

And my point is that foreign dignitaries show up at the White House all the time wearing their traditional garb and nobody thinks a thing about it. We would consider it extremely rude to require them to dress as Americans customarily dress for such occasions. I think it extremely rude for them to require us to accommodate THEIR dress for such occasions.

NEWS FLASH!!!

Nearly all religions are paternalistic.

Hurr Durr.

First off, Hinduism has many paternalistic/oppressive practices, and I find it weird that you would expect Le Pen to observe religious etiquette in a Hindu setting, but not in a Muslim setting.

So you are justifying misogyny and the oppression of women.. noted.

They themselves are Catholic and can do that if they want - you'd never see the leaders of China, Japan, India kissing the Pope's hand - you'd certainly never see the leader of a Muslim country do it.

The fascist goes to Lebanon to meet religious leaders, knowing their practices require head covering...and she refuses.

How dare that bitch not bow down to their misogynistic demands. That bitch acts like she has a mind of her own and the right to have an opinion. If she was in Lebanon they could show her how a woman should act. She should know her place.

Yeah, that's sarcasm. This is the real war on women and you condone it. Your post really is stupid.

Two weeks ago, Lebanese women were compelled to recognize once again that they are left to be victims of violence in many forms — including murder — without any legislation protecting them or holding the aggressor accountable. The reason for that is the position of some clerics, who justify these views using religious convictions and concepts.
Roula Yaacoub was the 24th Lebanese woman to be killed in the past three years, and whose murder has thus far gone legally unpunished. It seems that she died from torture and abuse at the hands of a suspect who is none other than her husband. Lebanese laws lack explicit articles that protect women in this regard, under the pretext of religions, which have their own personal status laws in Lebanon and prohibit any modern legislation negating their religious provisions.
Islamic Clerics Oppose Lebanese Law Protecting Abused Women

Can someone help me out a bit? Maybe I missed it, but what was the purpose of the meeting and where was it supposed to be held? I ask this because without those specifics any outrage by either side is misplaced as is any argument in support of either side.

Do they take them off when they come here? We don't wear them.

Oh, no, we are supposed to tolerant, that's the answer I got, LOL!

yer equating wearing a scarf in a religious meeting...with Southern Jim Crow. Absurd.

= "The 'rules' only apply when I want them to"

And my point is that foreign dignitaries show up at the White House all the time wearing their traditional garb and nobody thinks a thing about it.
Uh, OK...but they would still respect WH protocols.
We would consider it extremely rude to require them to dress as Americans customarily dress for such occasions.
Well, I think it would be "rude" if they showed up looking like a WalMart customer...no?
I think it extremely rude for them to require us to accommodate THEIR dress for such occasions.
I see in your future......no diplomatic positions to Lebanon. You can relax.

If she was in Lebanon..
Uh, she was in Lebanon...meeting religious leaders....which is the central fact.

Derp.

They themselves are Catholic and can do that if they want - you'd never see the leaders of China, Japan, India kissing the Pope's hand - you'd certainly never see the leader of a Muslim country do it.
You missed it;

Muslims are all about imposing on everyone else...

It was shown to show it isn't limited to "Muslims".

So you are justifying misogyny and the oppression of women.. noted.
Explaining a practice....is "justifying".

I bet you hate teachers.

Uh, she was in Lebanon...meeting religious leaders....which is the central fact.
But still vague. What was the purpose and exact location of the meeting? It makes all the difference in the world.

Explaining a practice....is "justifying".

I bet you hate teachers.

nah, you are pretty much making excuses for it because you don't like la penn.

Can someone help me out a bit? Maybe I missed it, but what was the purpose of the meeting and where was it supposed to be held? I ask this because without those specifics any outrage by either side is misplaced as is any argument in support of either side.

She was in Beirut on a visit to meet with the President, the Prime Minister and with Maronite, Christian and Islamic leaders. According to French newspaper "Le Monde" she was supposed to meet with the Grand Mufti at the Aicha Bakkar Mosque. She was told she would have to wear a veil to meet with the Mufti as protocol demands, but she told them in advance that she would not. Since they didn't cancel the meeting she showed up as planned and when they handed her the veil she said "Give my regards to the Grand Mufti, but I will not wear a veil." Then she left.

It's sexist to make her wear a scarf.

Back
Top Bottom