• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leaders

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

nah, you are pretty much making excuses for it because you don't like la penn.

Misogyny is ok, sometimes.

Re: France’s Marine Le Pen refused to wear a headscarf to meet with.. religious leade

nah, you are pretty much making excuses for it because you don't like la penn.
Suddenly I went from "justifying" to "excusing". Amazing.

PS...it's "Le Pen"....which you should know since you like fascists.

But still vague. What was the purpose and exact location of the meeting? It makes all the difference in the world.
There is this thing called the "original post"....and "google". Try 'em sometime.

Suddenly I went from "justifying" to "excusing". Amazing.

PS...it's "Le Pen"....which you should know since you like fascists.

I like fascists? I don't like antifa, you do. those are the fascists.

The fascist goes to Lebanon to meet religious leaders, knowing their practices require head covering...and she refuses.

It was a publicity move, red meat for her Islamophobe minions.

You are the red meat, Islamists gorge themselves on the uninformed, the willfully ignorant, and those who think it is cool to ignore reality.

Queen_bow_Pope.jpg

View attachment 67214343

Not sure why you're still conflating a simple show of respect vs the mandatory wearing of headgear. Neither Bush nor Queen Rocasolano (think that's who that is) were required to bow or kiss a ring, neither were they only expected to do so simply because of their gender.

mischaracterizing the argument again, it was presented to show etiquette by VISITORS, meeting YOUR demand.

False. Please point to me in your provided link the etiquette that he Church will require from. Your whole link talks about what happens at the mass, not what is required of you.

Again, a lie, "requirement" was your injection in #68.

Hahah, no. I asked you what Catholics demand of visitors and you responded with your list of what happens at a mass.

Uh, the argument is what is expected, what your conduct should be, and now you are explaining how the misconduct NEGATIVELY affects the environment and participants.....you just made my point.

It's not disruptive in the least. You just can't make others follow your own personal religious demands, as you seem to expect when making demands of the Priest at communion.

Yes, you derped.

It is not an argument, negation is not argument. The topic is not religious freedom (which is SO ironic when it comes to LePen), it is respectful conduct in a religious setting.
And you further attempt to change the topic.Any time a poster spins off-topic, I always view it as a win. Thanks, take care.

You attempted to equate Catholic and Islamic requirements, I called you out on it, and you have been failing ever since.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

Since this is in 'breaking news' and not the media forum, I'll just comment on part of it.

If she's meeting as a political leader with political leaders, as an equal, and not in a place of worship, then I'm all for her not wearing a head covering of any kind. If religious leaders can't bear to meet with a woman not in their approved garb, that's fine, she can refuse the meeting and I can't object to her choice. It's a secular setting and secular norms of conduct apply, with foreign leaders under no obligation to comply with another culture's religious requirements. And frankly if I was a woman in a position of political leadership, I'd be very hesitant to comply. I expect I'd want to be insistent that I be treated as an equal. Of course, complying as a show of common courtesy and respect would be fine as well, but it would depend on the circumstances.

Different standards apply in a place of worship. I've visited local synagogues for various reasons over the years, and am always asked to cover my head, and I do so gladly because I accepted an invitation into their place of worship and should comply with their customs...

Oh, no, we are supposed to tolerant, that's the answer I got, LOL!

Sure, because rabid leftwingers expect Americans to keep taking it on the chin.

False. Please point to me in your provided link the etiquette that he Church will require from.
Require from? Again, you keep injecting these poorly constructed straw arguments. I provided you with hints on proper etiquette, you then claimed there is no expectation by church officials of proper conduct....and then you admitted there is by describing how improper actions would harm the clergy's "rights".
Your whole link talks about what happens at the mass, not what is required of you.
I can't be responsible for your mischaracterizations.

Hahah, no. I asked you what Catholics demand of visitors and you responded with your list of what happens at a mass.
That doesn't negate the fact that you injected "requirement" after you injected "demand". These are your words, not mine.

It's not disruptive in the least. You just can't make others follow your own personal religious demands, as you seem to expect when making demands of the Priest at communion.
Wow, a person "making demands" during mass, " infring(ing) on HIS freedom"...in the middle of Mass....would not be disruptive? Yer kidding. It would be HIGHLY disruptive to a service.

Yes, you derped.
nah, you did...neener-neener.

You attempted to equate Catholic and Islamic requirements,
I equated the proper etiquette of how a visitor should act when he is engaged in a religious service or meeting.
I called you out on it, and you have been failing ever since.
You have made the outrageous claim that a visitor to a Catholic ceremony can act any way they want. Absurd.

Not sure why you're still conflating a simple show of respect vs the mandatory wearing of headgear. Neither Bush nor Queen Rocasolano (think that's who that is) were required to bow or kiss a ring, neither were they only expected to do so simply because of their gender.
If Le Pen doesn't want to follow religious etiquette/protocol/custom....she doesn't have to, but then she doesn't get her meeting with Muslim leaders....but she never wanted it, this was theater. This was her creating her own show, her audience was her fellow Islamophobes. She is the anointed fascist who showed just how tough she is. For her father, it was the Jews, for her it is the Muslims. Everything old is new again.

Sure, because rabid leftwingers expect Americans to keep taking it on the chin.

This is something I've noticed of late with the Libs. They are quite accepting of any Libs being hypocrites, because the end justifies the means. So with this, it's outrageous for her not to submit and wear the garb, but no problem with them doing the same, because we must be tolerant, but they don't have to be.

Their arguments were often hypocritical, but now they just out in the open with it. Only certain types of governments behave that way.

I wonder if the sympathy for Islamist males who demand that a female politician do as they say is, in some cases, a reflection of a covert prejudice against her because she is a woman. Give 'em hell, Marine!

She was in Beirut on a visit to meet with the President, the Prime Minister and with Maronite, Christian and Islamic leaders. According to French newspaper "Le Monde" she was supposed to meet with the Grand Mufti at the Aicha Bakkar Mosque. She was told she would have to wear a veil to meet with the Mufti as protocol demands, but she told them in advance that she would not. Since they didn't cancel the meeting she showed up as planned and when they handed her the veil she said "Give my regards to the Grand Mufti, but I will not wear a veil." Then she left.
Thanks, but this is the broad summation. I am looking for specifics especially in regards to the meeting with the Islamic leaders, namely the intended topic and venue. I believe that both are crucial in determining if whether she acted in anyway incorrectly.

Give it up to AL-washington post, siding with the mysoginisy Muslim leaders... Reading this article it's all about how it was a "stunt", and you can see the sneering this writer had for le penn.

Le Penn stands up for womans rights in the face of islamic-fascism, and the washington post cant be more upset about it.... ALoha snack bar!

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Hope you where equally happy when Michelle Obama refused to wear a headscarf in Saudi Arabia? Aloha Snack Bar!

There is this thing called the "original post"....and "google". Try 'em sometime.
No ****, really? Here is a clue for you. The OP does not have that info, nor did a number of news links I saw. So instead of spouting crap either help or stay the **** out of it.

You know, for awhile I subscribed to the whole, "When in Rome..." argument and found no problem with women wearing a scarf in a country whose culture demands it but then, you know I got to thinking. A visiting dignitary coming as an official or potential hopeful should most certainly not do so. If they are equals then the host country should adhere to their cultural norms and the visitor theirs. To take on the cultural norm of the host country would most certainly be and is a sign of submission, not respect. Respect would be the host country not demanding that that which is normal for them yet foreign for another be accepted by the other.

All of this talk of ME hospitality that I hear so much about would fall in line more with this type of thinking rather than what is currently expected. A good counter example is when the Pope (who I'm not really a fan of) covered statues and art that his guest might find offensive. That is a sign of respect, that is a display of hospitality.

No ****, really? Here is a clue for you. The OP does not have that info, nor did a number of news links I saw. So instead of spouting crap either help or stay the **** out of it.
Uh, the WP story, linked in the OP, links to the AJ article....that contains the answers to yer queries.

Uh, the WP story, linked in the OP, links to the AJ article....that contains the answers to yer queries.
Humor me, please quote the relevant part.

Humor me, please quote the relevant part.
No, you put yer big boy pants on, pull up yer boot straps. I've helped you all I going to.

You know, for awhile I subscribed to the whole, "When in Rome..." argument and found no problem with women wearing a scarf in a country whose culture demands it but then, you know I got to thinking. A visiting dignitary coming as an official or potential hopeful should most certainly not do so. If they are equals then the host country should adhere to their cultural norms and the visitor theirs. To take on the cultural norm of the host country would most certainly be and is a sign of submission, not respect. Respect would be the host country not demanding that that which is normal for them yet foreign for another be accepted by the other.

All of this talk of ME hospitality that I hear so much about would fall in line more with this type of thinking rather than what is currently expected. A good counter example is when the Pope (who I'm not really a fan of) covered statues and art that his guest might find offensive. That is a sign of respect, that is a display of hospitality.

Well but think about this: there are cultures in the Amazon, in SubSaharan Africa, or in the Pacific Islands where women are not used to covering their chests, and men don't wear what we would call underwear- just some long grass skirts. It's perfectly normal and no one thinks twice about it. Now think about someone like this coming to the whitehouse dressed like that as a representative. The dress code violation would be so jarring to us that we would be totally distracted from anything they had to say. We would probably appreciate it if they just had the consideration to cover up a little more than they are used to before coming, just out of respect for us.

Wouldn't we?

q.jpg

No, you put yer big boy pants on, pull up yer boot straps. I've helped you all I going to.
Please do not delude yourself you did nothing of the sort but spouted nonsense.

Please do not delude yourself you did nothing of the sort but spouted nonsense.
Don't do anything for me, but educate yourself for your own benefit and try honesty instead .....
You were say'n....?

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Michele Obama refused to wear a head scarf, too.

Michelle Obama forgoes a headscarf and sparks a backlash in Saudi Arabia

I'm not a fan of headscarves and I wouldn't wear one, either. I think they look ridiculous in this day and age.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom