• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fracking: Former Oil Worker Perspective

stonesfever

Reaction score
Hydraulic Fracturing aka "fracking" is a real danger. I've worked in this industry and know first hand how bad it is. Waterways are being polluted. Natural gas needs fracking to be produced. The notion that natural gas will bring energy independence would mean a dramatic increase in fracking. And a dramatic increase of polluted waterways.

Hydraulic Fracturing aka "fracking" is a real danger. I've worked in this industry and know first hand how bad it is. Waterways are being polluted. Natural gas needs fracking to be produced. The notion that natural gas will bring energy independence would mean a dramatic increase in fracking. And a dramatic increase of polluted waterways.

Here's the thing; when it's done well, the results remain contained, and there is very little damage done. When it's done wrong then yes it can really screw **** up. However, it requires good maps and excellent planning and a knowledge of what is being drilled through and how to handle the materials to be sure that the process goes smooth.

I got into a discussion recently with a geologist engaged in the fracking and that's almost verbatim what his response was...

I agree with your point that fossil fuel innovation will not bring about energy independence, and alternatives need to come out.

Is this a necessary result of the process? Or is this a result of bad business/practices? I just don't know enough about the subject. Your insight would be appreciated.

Here's the thing; when it's done well, the results remain contained, and there is very little damage done. When it's done wrong then yes it can really screw **** up. However, it requires good maps and excellent planning and a knowledge of what is being drilled through and how to handle the materials to be sure that the process goes smooth.

I got into a discussion recently with a geologist engaged in the fracking and that's almost verbatim what his response was...

I agree with your point that fossil fuel innovation will not bring about energy independence, and alternatives need to come out.

I think the question is; is it worth the risk? I mean be realistic. Do you really think that a corporation with millions of dollars at stake is gonna take the necessary precautions to assure that it is done "right". Think BP. There are too many clean alternatives.

I think the question is; is it worth the risk? I mean be realistic. Do you really think that a corporation with millions of dollars at stake is gonna take the necessary precautions to assure that it is done "right". Think BP. There are too many clean alternatives.

Agreed, the overall track record is not good, and it's more down to the individuals doing the actual work that must act with integrity in spite of the demands of the corporations.

Unfortunately with the clean alternatives; none of them represent viable alternatives at the scales required that are not also dependent on the oil and or natural gas. At least up to this point.

Not sure I believe you but whatever. I have lots of friends and know lots of sons of friends that have gone to the oil fields to work because the timber industry is in the toilet around here. I haven't hear one of them complain about fracking, they are just glad to have the work.

Agreed, the overall track record is not good, and it's more down to the individuals doing the actual work that must act with integrity in spite of the demands of the corporations.

Unfortunately with the clean alternatives; none of them represent viable alternatives at the scales required that are not also dependent on the oil and or natural gas. At least up to this point.

I can't help but wonder about that. With the technological capabilities we have it is a little sketchy that we don't have alternative or clean energy sources that are more advanced. I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but it does give me pause.

Please provide evidence to support your claim.:roll:

I can't help but wonder about that. With the technological capabilities we have it is a little sketchy that we don't have alternative or clean energy sources that are more advanced. I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but it does give me pause.

Well, that's a topic for another discussion, but short answer, yes many technologies are suppressed.

Well, that's a topic for another discussion, but short answer, yes many technologies are suppressed.

Because it involves money I would not consider that impossible.

I might believe you, but do you have any creditials, anything more than an anecdote given on the web? I could tell you the truth that I am Anthony Weiner, [yeah that one ]. Is it true? Most certainly could be, huh? Maybe, possibly...never know...

I might believe you, but do you have any creditials, anything more than an anecdote given on the web? I could tell you the truth that I am Anthony Weiner, [yeah that one ]. Is it true? Most certainly could be, huh? Maybe, possibly...never know...

Please let it be false.:eek:

Well you sound credible without a hint of an agenda... sounds legit...

Complete absence of crotch shots says you aren't Anthony Weiner.

Back
Top Bottom