• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Fox refuses to show ad opposing Alito

scottyz

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
WASHINGTON - Fox News is refusing to air an ad critical of Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito, citing its lawyers' contention that the spot is factually incorrect.

A spokesman for the groups sponsoring the ad said the network's decision reflects the political right's effort to shield
President Bush's choice for the high court.

The ad says that as an appellate court judge, Alito has "ruled to make it easier for corporations to discriminate ... even voted to approve strip search of a 10-year-old girl." Referring to a document Alito wrote in 1985 while seeking a job in the Reagan administration, it quotes him as saying that "the Constitution does not protect a right to an abortion."

The groups backing the ad include the Alliance for Justice, the Leadership Conference on Civil Rights, People for The American Way and abortion rights organizations.

Paul Schur, a spokesman for Fox, said that according to the network's lawyers, the ad is "factually incorrect and we've given them an opportunity to fix it."

Said Jim Jordan, a spokesman for the groups: "The entire right wing establishment, from Pat Robertson to Jerry Falwell to Fox News, has circled the wagons around Sam Alito."

Asked about changing the ad in response to Fox's request, Jordan said, "Roger Ailes doesn't get to edit our ads." Ailes is chairman of Fox News.

Officials said the ad would run on cable television news programs nationally as well as in Maine and Rhode Island, two states that have three moderate Republican senators.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051123/ap_on_go_su_co/alito_ad;_ylt=AgA9xwMQXxTtTPUsT9ss9HWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3OXIzMDMzBHNlYwM3MDM-

Well, it seems like Fox News is being responsible in not airing the ad as it seems like it is indeed factually inaccurate. The networks and channels that ARE airing it are being irresponsible in allowing their stations to be used to told lies. Of course, the liberals don't have a problem with this, but if conservatives wanted to have paid lies, they would be all over it like bees on honey.

Im fairly liberal and when I saw the commercial, I thought it was in bad taste. It was a new level for me to see a smear campaign like that.

I support what Fox is doing, as long as they would do the same for a nominee that the right would not support (demand that it be factually correct).

I agree with Aps. If you need to lie in order to get your point across, maybe your point isn't that good...

ludahai said:
Well, it seems like Fox News is being responsible in not airing the ad as it seems like it is indeed factually inaccurate. The networks and channels that ARE airing it are being irresponsible in allowing their stations to be used to told lies. Of course, the liberals don't have a problem with this, but if conservatives wanted to have paid lies, they would be all over it like bees on honey.

I watched the ad. Yes it's strong, but what parts are factually inaccurate?
It doesn't surprise me that the Republican News Network (Faux Newz) won't air it. But for them to get on their high horse and argue that they won't because the add is "factually inaccurate" is laughable.

What about the Swift Boat Veterans adds? Or every other word out of Hannity's mouth?

fauxNewsThumb.gif

Well Fox News can do whatever they want, they can choose and select which ads they run, because they are a private company. I think that it is far more effective for the media to just print Alito's judiciary record and let the public decide.

Back
Top Bottom