• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox parent News Corp. donates $1 million to Republican Governors' Association

Groucho

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
They did it in a "fair and balanced" way, I am sure.

News Corp Donates $1 MILLION To Republican Governors Association

Anyone who still believes that they are a real news organization, instead of a conservative editorial station, is really fooling themselves.

(Mind you, as I have said in other threads, they have every right to be biased and promote a viewpoint. It's the hypocrisy of pretending to be unbiased that bothers me.)

Re: Fox News Corp. donates $1 million to the GOP

Anyone who still believes that they are a real news organization, instead of a conservative editorial station, is really fooling themselves.

(Mind you, as I have said in other threads, they have every right to be biased and promote a viewpoint. It's the hypocrisy of pretending to be unbiased that bothers me.)

You don't think Ted Turner gave to the Dems? You don't think MSNBC sits in on Obama's meetings?

I would think the GOP gave a million dollars to FOXNews. That makes more sense.

You don't think Ted Turner gave to the Dems?

As a private person? sure, that is his right. Did CNN give money? Not that I am aware off....

You don't think MSNBC sits in on Obama's meetings?

What on earth does that have to do (not saying the do or have) with funding to a political party?

The ironic thing is this gem from their own code of conduct..

News Corporation

B. Dealing With Government Officials
Employees who have dealings with government officials shall conform to the following standards:

All employees who contact public officials must be familiar with the applicable lobbying laws and public disclosure requirements, particularly those laws or regulations pertaining to registrations or filings that must be made by the Company.
No payment shall be made to, or for the benefit of, any public official in order to induce or entice such official to: enact, defeat or violate any law or regulation for the Company’s benefit; influence any official act; or obtain any favorable action by a governmental agency or official on behalf of the Company.
Social amenities, entertainment and other courtesies may be extended to government officials or employees only to the extent appropriate and reasonable under applicable laws and customs. Gifts of greater than nominal value to, or lavish entertainment of, public officials are prohibited. No gifts in the form of cash, stock or other similar consideration shall be given, regardless of amount. Any gift about which an employee is uncertain should not be made without the prior written approval of the Company’s General Counsel. Any expenses incurred by a Company employee in connection with the matters discussed herein shall be accurately recorded on the Company’s books and records.

I am guessing they gonna claim that it does not violate their own policies because they did not donate to the "government", and did not openly ask for any favours...

Some people say that this is a down payment for this fall's propaganda campaign. :mrgreen:

You don't think Ted Turner gave to the Dems? You don't think MSNBC sits in on Obama's meetings?

Sure Ted and Jane both gave to the Dems....but not with Turner Broadcasting dough.

They have a dog in the fight.
News Corp. opposes proposed federal rule changes that would weaken the position of its Fox network in negotiations with cable companies. Governors may have a stake in the issue. In March, for example, New York Governor David Paterson stepped in with a call for binding arbitration in a dispute over fees between Bethpage, New York-based Cablevision Systems Corp. and Burbank, California-based Walt Disney Co.’s ABC.

Now, tell me what this has to do with whether or not Fox News being biased on air?

They have a dog in the fight.

Now, tell me what this has to do with whether or not Fox News being biased on air?

Did they donate to the Democratic side too? No

I don't know. Do you? Fact is it's anticipated that there will be quite a turnover in governor races to the Republican side.

Democrats now hold 26 of the 50 governorships, and 37 are on the ballot this year, the most ever. Stuart Rothenberg, a nonpartisan political analyst in Washington, says the Republicans should pick up at least eight new posts, giving them control of 32.
Republicans See Gains in Governors’ Races as Funding Hits Peak - BusinessWeek

Ted Turner is not a corporation; No, I don't think MSNBC sits on Obama's meetings. And in fact, if you watched it, you'd see plenty of anti-Obama editorials (usually because he's not liberal enough for them). Even then, the issue is over honesty: Fox is the one that claims to be "fair and balanced." If they'd stop being dishonest (as I said in the first post) I wouldn't criticize them for this.

Ted Turner is not a corporation; No, I don't think MSNBC sits on Obama's meetings. And in fact, if you watched it, you'd see plenty of anti-Obama editorials (usually because he's not liberal enough for them). Even then, the issue is over honesty: Fox is the one that claims to be "fair and balanced." If they'd stop being dishonest (as I said in the first post) I wouldn't criticize them for this.

Do you think Immalt and GE give a ton to the Democrats? Neither is a big deal to me.

Terrible optics, I agree, but this isn't much different than the in-kind contributions that other news stations hand out to various political groups.

Facts are a pesky thing:

Murdoch — whether individually, or through his corporation and its related political action committee, which is called News America-Fox — doesn't only give money to Republicans. But, as Politico's Ben Smith notes, "the giant check to the RGA dwarfs low four-figure checks from Fox's PAC to Democrats including Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer."

The Upshot looked into contributions from the News America-Fox PAC and found that Smith is correct: a $1 million donation is far more than what any other organization or individual has received, according to OpenSecrets.org. The donations may be smaller, but the Fox PAC is spreading its money around almost evenly between the two parties.

The PAC has given to $48,000 to Democrats running for House seats this year and $40,700 to Republicans. In Senate races, the PAC contributed $30,500 to Democrats and $25,500 to Republicans. Also, the PAC gave $30,000 to both the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and National Republican Congressional Committee. The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and National Republican Senatorial Committee each received $15,000.

Murdoch’s News Corp. gives $1 mil. to Republican govs - Yahoo! News

Re: Fox parent gives $1 million to RGA

So what's your point? General Electric has donated money to the democrats, but you don't see me acting like a sheep and complaining about it.

News Corp Gives 1 million to the RGA

44 - Fox parent News Corp. donates $1 million to Republican Governors' Association

Now, I could understand them giving a little bit to this and a little bit to that, but News Corp has just become the biggest corporate donor to the RGA. In contrast, the biggest corporate donor to the DGA is a union that does not report news whatsoever obviously. Also those that are curious, liberal media MSNBC's parent company GE made a 105k donation to the Democrats this year...but oh wait they made a 105k donation to the Republicans too.

Re: News Corp Gives 1 million to the RGA

Meh I could care less what they do with their money. Our news still suck.

According to the SCOTUS, they're well within their rights to do so.

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged

Since when is the huffington post a legitimate news source? Does that mean we can start quoting newsmax?

44 - Fox parent News Corp. donates $1 million to Republican Governors' Association

Now, I could understand them giving a little bit to this and a little bit to that, but News Corp has just become the biggest corporate donor to the RGA. In contrast, the biggest corporate donor to the DGA is a union that does not report news whatsoever obviously. Also those that are curious, liberal media MSNBC's parent company GE made a 105k donation to the Democrats this year...but oh wait they made a 105k donation to the Republicans too.

LOL Are you seriously going to claim MSNBC is unbiased?

Since when is the huffington post a legitimate news source? Does that mean we can start quoting newsmax?

The threads were merged and moved here because of the wapo article above (from which the thread takes its title). The other posts just happened to be earlier chronologically, so they show up at the beginning.

Since you want to talk about parent companies and slam their other companies, GE the parent company of MSNBC gave half a million to Obama alone and was one of his biggest contributors.

General Electric $499,130

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

In 2010 alone they gave over 1 million to democrats and over 2 million in 2008.

General Electric: Summary | OpenSecrets

Funny how you missed that Groucho

Since you want to talk about parent companies and slam their other companies, GE the parent company of MSNBC gave half a million to Obama alone and was one of his biggest contributors.

General Electric $499,130

Top Contributors to Barack Obama | OpenSecrets

In 2010 alone they gave over 1 million to democrats and over 2 million in 2008.

General Electric: Summary | OpenSecrets

Funny how you missed that Groucho

Actually MSNBC did give to the dems...but they gave to the Republicans also. Your question however implies that you are ok with corruption in the media.

Also by your own link, not only has GE given to republicans as well but many years their Republican contributions outpaced Democrats. Alo as their name implies, they are in several fields, with NBC Universal being one that makes up a small part of the overall company whereas News Corp well, as their name implies their biggest winners are news and of course entertainment with Fox.

Re: Fox parent gives $1 million to RGA

So what's your point? General Electric has donated money to the democrats, but you don't see me acting like a sheep and complaining about it.

True but they are not the ones claiming to be the most fair and balance network out there. If they would get rid of that slogan I would have no problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom