• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox News Whistle Blower video

Dittohead not!

master political analyst
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I got this as a passed around email. How much of it is true, I'm not sure. I posted it here to see what comments it might get, and whether anyone was familiar with the story.

If it is true, it is quite an indictment.

I got this as a passed around email. How much of it is true, I'm not sure. I posted it here to see what comments it might get, and whether anyone was familiar with the story.

I sure don't doubt it. Every decision made by conscientious people is made with an eye toward consequences. The threat of a multi-million-dollar lawsuit and the expenses that are associated with it would be enough for even the toughest news organization to fold. Sad, but no surprise.

Don't see it particularly as an indictment of Fox News in particuar, though. I'm pretty sure that's an across-the-board reaction.

I believe this. 100% believe it. I was told something similar when I started digging into a company I worked for about 10 years ago. Found out they were intentionally screwing customers over... hard.
Too often businesses are criminals or an accessory.

This is from a movie, actually, that's intended to say bad thing about Fox News (it's a very flawed movie, despite what problems I may have with Fox News) - however, the story clipped here is 100% true.

And I don't see it as an indictment against Fox News at all (considering, this was about a local station, not the cable network) - but it is an indictment about how giant corporations have the ability to squelch free speech with threats of lawsuits.

The bigger news is that.

Oh, and there are 13 states where you can be sued for saying that you think a food is unhealthy: Food libel laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for sharing this but I think most level headed people have long figured out FOXNews is rating/money driven. I think most of them are. Only FOXNews has a lowered their integrity bar so far it's become blantantly obvious to most. That's why they tend to get singled out.

I don't trust any of them myself.

This is from a movie, actually, that's intended to say bad thing about Fox News (it's a very flawed movie, despite what problems I may have with Fox News) - however, the story clipped here is 100% true.

And I don't see it as an indictment against Fox News at all (considering, this was about a local station, not the cable network) - but it is an indictment about how giant corporations have the ability to squelch free speech with threats of lawsuits.

The bigger news is that.

Oh, and there are 13 states where you can be sued for saying that you think a food is unhealthy: Food libel laws - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are correct, it is a local FOX affiliate, though the story involves the overall FOX network of stations. The link I gave went to the section for the local station dealing with this story.

So this is a video about the alleged suppression of an unfavorable news report that occurred 13 years ago and which was never proven to any reasonable degree?

Gleaned from this and other sites so far:

A lot of people don't like/trust Monsanto. They have a history of litigation and controversy, so fear of litigation most likely is the motivation for quashing the story.

This station is not all of Fox News, but just a local affiliate. The story isn't a dig at FNN. Moreover other stations "do it too" (unsupported, but most likely correct.)

The whistleblower's lawsuit was unsuccessful, which raises doubts in some minds, but one post read:

This story has been around for a while and it's all true...Fox doesn't deny it, and conservative media ignores it. But what the legal decision on this matter did was make it perfectly okay to lie as far as the FCC is concerned on news broadcasts. Fox was also ordered to pay that woman in the story $425,000 for wrongfull firing and threatening to fire her if she went to the FCC.

So, was the suit successful, or was it not?

And how about BGH in the milk? Is everyone comfortable with that?

They lost on a technicality......

" .... The trial commenced in summer 2000 with a jury dismissing all of the claims brought to trial by Wilson, but siding with one aspect of Akre's complaint, awarding Akre $425000 and agreeing that Akre was a whistleblower because she believed there were violations of the 1934 Federal Communications Act and because she planned on reporting WTVT to the Federal Communications Commission. Reason magazine, referring to the case, noted that Akre's argument in the trial was that Akre and Wilson believed news distortion occurred, but that they did not have to prove this was the case.[16]
An appeal was filed, and a ruling in February 2003 came down in favor of WTVT, who successfully argued that the FCC policy against falsification was not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not qualify as the required "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102. ... Because the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102, Akre has failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute."[17] The appeal did not address any falsification claims, noting that "as a threshold matter ... Akre failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute," but noted that the lower court ruled against all of Wilson's charges and all of Akre's claims with the exception of the whistleblower claim that was overturned.[17] .... "

As for how others feel...

" ... In Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, rBST is not approved for use.[35]
In 1990, The European Union placed a moratorium on its sale by all member nations. It was turned into a permanent ban starting from January 1, 2000.[36]
Canada's health board, Health Canada, refused to approve rBST for use on Canadian dairies, citing concerns over animal health.[14] The study found the occurrence of an antibody reaction, possible hypersensitivity, in a subchronic (90-day) study of rbST oral toxicity in rats that resulted in one test animal's developing an antibody response at low dose (0.1 mg/kg/day) after 14 weeks."[37] ... "

Bovine somatotropin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They lost on a technicality......

" .... The trial commenced in summer 2000 with a jury dismissing all of the claims brought to trial by Wilson, but siding with one aspect of Akre's complaint, awarding Akre $425000 and agreeing that Akre was a whistleblower because she believed there were violations of the 1934 Federal Communications Act and because she planned on reporting WTVT to the Federal Communications Commission. Reason magazine, referring to the case, noted that Akre's argument in the trial was that Akre and Wilson believed news distortion occurred, but that they did not have to prove this was the case.[16]
An appeal was filed, and a ruling in February 2003 came down in favor of WTVT, who successfully argued that the FCC policy against falsification was not a "law, rule, or regulation", and so the whistle-blower law did not qualify as the required "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102. ... Because the FCC's news distortion policy is not a "law, rule, or regulation" under section 448.102, Akre has failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute."[17] The appeal did not address any falsification claims, noting that "as a threshold matter ... Akre failed to state a claim under the whistle-blower's statute," but noted that the lower court ruled against all of Wilson's charges and all of Akre's claims with the exception of the whistleblower claim that was overturned.[17] .... "

As for how others feel...

" ... In Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, rBST is not approved for use.[35]
In 1990, The European Union placed a moratorium on its sale by all member nations. It was turned into a permanent ban starting from January 1, 2000.[36]
Canada's health board, Health Canada, refused to approve rBST for use on Canadian dairies, citing concerns over animal health.[14] The study found the occurrence of an antibody reaction, possible hypersensitivity, in a subchronic (90-day) study of rbST oral toxicity in rats that resulted in one test animal's developing an antibody response at low dose (0.1 mg/kg/day) after 14 weeks."[37] ... "

Bovine somatotropin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the suit was lost on appeal on a technicality. Doesn't exactly throw doubt on there having been a cover up, does it? It sounds like the video was legit.

This thread has some more examples of what goes on in the media and may be a step further into it than some of you may be comfortable looking into....

American Media Manipulations:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/conspiracy-theories/78822-american-media-manipulations.html
http://www.debatepolitics.com/conspiracy-theories/78822-american-media-manipulations.html

Not sure why it won't link it but the title is "American Media Manipulations" in the conspiracy section....there are some good examples on what goes on and if you google Dan Rather you will find he says some very disturbing things about what America's Media has evolved to....

Last edited:
So the suit was lost on appeal on a technicality. Doesn't exactly throw doubt on there having been a cover up, does it? It sounds like the video was legit.

The court decision did not answer the question of whether the story in the video is legit or not. In fact, the appeals decision neatly sidestepped the question, making it irrelevant as far as the court was concerned.

The court decision did not answer the question of whether the story in the video is legit or not. In fact, the appeals decision neatly sidestepped the question, making it irrelevant as far as the court was concerned.

It's interesting how the legal system can render the main issue in a case irrelevant. (shakes head)

All one has to do is watch the documentary "Food Inc.," and see for yourself the brut bullying tactics that Monsato uses. I guarantee you will change the way you eat after watching this.

Food, Inc. (2008)

I actually found out about the bovine growth drug from this movie. I did some research afterwards, and was relieved that we do not inject our cows with that crap. But still, I will only drink organic cow or soy milk now.

I think it's a Canadian piece, as I recognize the TVO logo (TV Ontario).

There wasn't a single Fox News anchor mentioned, producer, nothing. This occurred when Fox News had been a station on the air a few months.

A nice little deceptive title, don't cha think? "Fox News whistle blower video" when you break it down you only mean "A local Fox station whistle blower video."

You're as bad as Fox News will ever be, DHN. The people on here just itching for that "gotcah" video or audio piece, and this is the best they can come up with? I would say it's safe to say that Fox News, the TRUE FOX NEWS, must be pretty damn reliable.

EPIC FAIL.

Last edited:
There wasn't a single Fox News anchor mentioned, producer, nothing. This occurred when Fox News had been a station on the air a few months.

A nice little deceptive title, don't cha think? "Fox News whistle blower video" when you break it down you only mean "A local Fox station whistle blower video."

You're as bad as Fox News will ever be, DHN. The people on here just itching for that "gotcah" video or audio piece, and this is the best they can come up with? I would say it's safe to say that Fox News, the TRUE FOX NEWS, must be pretty damn reliable.

EPIC FAIL.

Yes, you're right. It's all CBS's fault. :roll:

EPIC FAIL.

Go back and reread my OP, and other posts on this thread. Your apology will be accepted.

Back
Top Bottom