• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox News vs. Other News Outlets

Rightwingnutjob

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I'll be the first (at least in this thread!) to admit that Fox News is biased towards the conservative end of the spectrum, but what I never (or very rarely) see is independents and liberals comment on the biases of the NY Times, CNN, NBS etc. (and come to think of it many conservatives don't notice the bias in Fox). People like to tout their news station as the most unbiased and best source of news. I'll say I prefer Fox because I tend to lean right on most issues, but I'll read the papers to stay more informed.

Anyone else notice this? I don't understand how people can miss the fact that all news outlets are biased.

I'll be the first (at least in this thread!) to admit that Fox News is biased towards the conservative end of the spectrum, but what I never (or very rarely) see is independents and liberals comment on the biases of the NY Times, CNN, NBS etc. (and come to think of it many conservatives don't notice the bias in Fox). People like to tout their news station as the most unbiased and best source of news. I'll say I prefer Fox because I tend to lean right on most issues, but I'll read the papers to stay more informed.

Anyone else notice this? I don't understand how people can miss the fact that all news outlets are biased.

I love Fox, however I wish they didn't TRY so hard to be fair and balanced (they are not). What would be wrong with them having ALL right leaning hosts etc? The other channels have NONE. I'd love to see Fox send Shepherd Smith over to MSNBC with his own kind.
I watch them all but like to have a place to retreat to when Olbermann, maddow,mathews, ed get too much for me.

Whoops! I just noticed you said you stay informed from papers? Are there any unbiased ones?

We get all types here. We have some who think that only Fox is biased, some who think only the others are biased and some like you (and me) who think they are all biased. As they are all reporting pretty much the same news though, I don't get too worked up about various host offering opinion commentary. We also have a sadly large amount of posters who think that the comments and opinions of various pundits are those of the news origination they work for. If you ever wondered why anybody would actually need an op/ed disclaimer, these folks illustrate the need for such redundancy.:doh

Like you I read the newspaper, pretty much every day of the week. Mostly because I like to have something to read in front of me when I eat breakfast and lunch. I also read a lot of news online and listen to the radio. Due to the repetitive nature of the 24 hour news cycle I tend to not actually watch much cable news. But I surf around the channels to see what is being reported and who is saying what for a little bit every day.

At the end of the day, I don't put much stock into the whole bias argument. Everyone, and I mean everyone has it. As long as a source reports the actual facts, I could care less about their politics. Fox is no worse nor any better than the rest of the cable news providers. Well actually given some of the shenanigans/skeletons in CNN's closet, I do think they are a lil better than them.;)

When humans are involved, there will always be bias.

Whoops! I just noticed you said you stay informed from papers? Are there any unbiased ones?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me (whoops). I said, "stay more informed." This means I get additional information from the papers--not all of my information. I hear right-biased news from Fox and left-biased news from papers such as the NY Times. I do, however, make up my own mind and tend to be rather 'far right' most of the time (except a few social issues such as gay marriage, abortion in life-threatening cases and rape cases a few others probably).

Every station is biased. CNN tries hardest not to be, they are still liberal, and at the cost of trying so hard they are boring. MSNBC is WAY to liberal(at least most hosts, there are some that I enjoy/can stand listening to). Fox is biased to the right just as much as MSNBC is to the left, which is absolutely fine, because they are the only one that is conservative(minus CSPAN which is really hard to frame as "conservative" because they only have like 2 talk shows). Personally, I read the Washington Post(slightly liberal) every day, read some articles from the WSJ and NYT every day, and watch at least 30 minutes of both MSNBC and Fox every day. That along with the large amount of reading(newsweek, economist, plenty and plenty of books) that I do and the rare occasions where I do watch CNN and/or CSPAN help me get unbiased news and probably lead me to being so moderate. But truthfully I have no issue with people who only watch Fox/MSNBC/CNN/etc all provide good news and if you are a strong conservative who believes only conservative principles, why would you watch MSNBC or read the NYT?

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me (whoops). I said, "stay more informed." This means I get additional information from the papers--not all of my information. I hear right-biased news from Fox and left-biased news from papers such as the NY Times. I do, however, make up my own mind and tend to be rather 'far right' most of the time (except a few social issues such as gay marriage, abortion in life-threatening cases and rape cases a few others probably).
Oh I see. I thought maybe you were watching cable news for entertainment, but getting informed from papers. I was thinking ...." he really is a nutjob" :)
I read news online, watch all the cable news, watch C-Span and listen to talk radio. I'm pretty far right, but like to absorb it all. As far as social issues, with this economy and everything else going on, they are pretty far down down on my list of what's important. I am pro-life and I think gay marriage should be left up to the states. My best friend is gay. She is also verrrrrry liberal. We avoid talking politics so she doesn't know I'm a little bit on the fence when it comes to gay marriage. I'd be honest if she asked me, but she never has.

Oh I see. I thought maybe you were watching cable news for entertainment, but getting informed from papers. I was thinking ...." he really is a nutjob" :)
I read news online, watch all the cable news, watch C-Span and listen to talk radio. I'm pretty far right, but like to absorb it all. As far as social issues, with this economy and everything else going on, they are pretty far down down on my list of what's important. I am pro-life and I think gay marriage should be left up to the states. My best friend is gay. She is also verrrrrry liberal. We avoid talking politics so she doesn't know I'm a little bit on the fence when it comes to gay marriage. I'd be honest if she asked me, but she never has.

Yes, I can see what you mean regarding social issues being far from the top, I'm a bit more worried about fiscal policy + immigration (which impacts fiscal policy) at the moment. I have a very close friend who is also gay. She's a fiscally very conservative and socially very liberal (quite the mix really, lol).

Every station is biased. CNN tries hardest not to be, they are still liberal, and at the cost of trying so hard they are boring. MSNBC is WAY to liberal(at least most hosts, there are some that I enjoy/can stand listening to). Fox is biased to the right just as much as MSNBC is to the left, which is absolutely fine, because they are the only one that is conservative(minus CSPAN which is really hard to frame as "conservative" because they only have like 2 talk shows). Personally, I read the Washington Post(slightly liberal) every day, read some articles from the WSJ and NYT every day, and watch at least 30 minutes of both MSNBC and Fox every day. That along with the large amount of reading(newsweek, economist, plenty and plenty of books) that I do and the rare occasions where I do watch CNN and/or CSPAN help me get unbiased news and probably lead me to being so moderate. But truthfully I have no issue with people who only watch Fox/MSNBC/CNN/etc all provide good news and if you are a strong conservative who believes only conservative principles, why would you watch MSNBC or read the NYT?

If you only watch one news outlet from one view point it's hard to know everything. Being biased (as is human nature) prevents them from presenting all of the facts in objective manner. If you hear the same thing over and over you'll begin to believe it if it is logical. It's kind of like how many kids turn out like their parents.

It's good to hear two sides of the story in my book.

Yes, I can see what you mean regarding social issues being far from the top, I'm a bit more worried about fiscal policy + immigration (which impacts fiscal policy) at the moment. I have a very close friend who is also gay. She's a fiscally very conservative and socially very liberal (quite the mix really, lol).

I am really worried about immigration reform. (I know, I'm such an evil racist) I just don't see how it can be done with the economy the way it is and we don't have jobs for legal citizans. I can't believe the bias in the media against Arizona. Most Americans support them. Another case of not listening to the people. I'm pretty sure they'll go ahead and shove some kind of Amnesty bill through before Nov.
Just a little funny about something my gay friend said one day. She wanted me to stop at a starbucks with her. I don't know, but I always had the impression that starbucks catered to liberals and said so. She said Geez Barb, you'll run around with a lesbian all day long and it doesn't bother you what people might think, but heaven forbid if someone thinks you're a liberal" She's right :)

FOX NEWS is fair and balanced; the logo clearly says so. :lol:

I think the majority of the FOX-hate comes from the fact that for the last 40-50 years, the majority of news outlets have become more and more leftist in their lean. Suddenly, along comes Fox News and starts telling the news from a different viewpoint. For the most part it's the same news, but sometimes it's news that may have never gotten airtime had they not existed. From what I've seen in my few years of adulthood is that everyone that label themselves as a liberal thinks there are no other opinions worth hearing than their own. Fox is definately offering another opinion. In a nation that has had it's schools and news dominated by liberals for so long, a right leaning news agency is an afront to their literary and intellectual dominance (self-proclaimed, of course), only liberals are inteligent after all.......

I agree that all news outlets employ people who have political bias, we're human, when you work in a business surrounded by politics it's difficult not to develop an opinion. Most news outlets understand this, and even though there may be biased, I feel the vast majority of "straight news" outlets try to repress editorializing. The problem is that Fox takes this fact, and uses it as an excuse to be blatantly biased towards conservatives, and THEN uses it to further isolate their audience (why is it that Fox doesn't include themselves, the number one rated news network, when they talk about the "mainstream media"? because you can't trust the rest, they're all liberal!).

Fox News to me is essentially a channel devoted to attack politics an editorializing. MSNBC is trying to reach FNC levels of blatant partisanship, and they're getting close, but I think if you asked a group of journalists whether they believed Fox is truly "Fair and Balanced", a large majority would say no.

But they're probably all stinkin' liberals anyway, so who cares?

I agree that all news outlets employ people who have political bias, we're human, when you work in a business surrounded by politics it's difficult not to develop an opinion. Most news outlets understand this, and even though there may be biased, I feel the vast majority of "straight news" outlets try to repress editorializing. The problem is that Fox takes this fact, and uses it as an excuse to be blatantly biased towards conservatives, and THEN uses it to further isolate their audience (why is it that Fox doesn't include themselves, the number one rated news network, when they talk about the "mainstream media"? because you can't trust the rest, they're all liberal!).

Fox News to me is essentially a channel devoted to attack politics an editorializing. MSNBC is trying to reach FNC levels of blatant partisanship, and they're getting close, but I think if you asked a group of journalists whether they believed Fox is truly "Fair and Balanced", a large majority would say no.

But they're probably all stinkin' liberals anyway, so who cares?

I don't think anyone thinks FOX is fair and balanced and since the majority of journalists are their opposition, it's not hard to imagine what they'd say. Further, MSNBC is every bit as much biased, not almost as biased, as FOX news.

All news outlets are biased, as any good journalist knows. The reason journalists don't like FOX is that it doesn't live up to the objective standards of the profession. It's a partisan propaganda outlet masquerading as a news channel, so a comparison with CNN or any other "mainstream" outlet is apples to oranges.

my personal opinion is that msnbc is biased, but not cnn or the networks.

I think the majority of the FOX-hate comes from the fact that for the last 40-50 years, the majority of news outlets have become more and more leftist in their lean. Suddenly, along comes Fox News and starts telling the news from a different viewpoint. For the most part it's the same news, but sometimes it's news that may have never gotten airtime had they not existed. From what I've seen in my few years of adulthood is that everyone that label themselves as a liberal thinks there are no other opinions worth hearing than their own. Fox is definately offering another opinion. In a nation that has had it's schools and news dominated by liberals for so long, a right leaning news agency is an afront to their literary and intellectual dominance (self-proclaimed, of course), only liberals are inteligent after all.......

um.....fox offers glen beck, who fakes tears for ratings and writes infantile books. as for your take on liberals, do you honestly think right wingers believe leftist opinions are worth hearing?

The idea of political bias in the media is way overblown. It's really more of a financial/corporate bias. During the 2000 election season, the so-called liberal media ran more stories attacking Gore than they did Bush. Above all, the media loves scandal and spectacle.

The idea of political bias in the media is way overblown. It's really more of a financial/corporate bias. During the 2000 election season, the so-called liberal media ran more stories attacking Gore than they did Bush. Above all, the media loves scandal and spectacle.

No.

There is definitely a bias in the media. Most of them lean so far (usually left, but not always) that they're close to falling over. You can see it in the stories they cover, how they frame their questions, the questions they choose to ask and the ones they don't.

The trouble is today bias is defined as anything that doesn't agree with my world view. Tell me what I want to hear, or you're biased. Systematic and stemic bias requires a very specific methodology to prove, of which none have really tackeld to my knowledge. And it requires that the studier be completely free of bias, and able to show that clearly. All hard to do.

But as long as we define bias as anything that doesn't affirm our beliefs, we will always see everything as bias. And, btw, we should not even consider political entertainers in this discussion.

I think as humans do the reporting there will always be biased thought I would trust CNN more than I would trust FOX NEWS. I find Fox New biased funny to the point that it made me laugh many times at how blatantly they are with it . However I agree all news station are biased, so always get your news from many sources other than just one sources.

I am one of those that never trust one source of information. Some of the stations I watch are the BBC, The New York Times, and CNN.

I think as humans do the reporting there will always be biased thought I would trust CNN more than I would trust FOX NEWS. I find Fox New biased funny to the point that it made me laugh many times at how blatantly they are with it . However I agree all news station are biased, so always get your news from many sources other than just one sources.

I am one of those that never trust one source of information. Some of the stations I watch are the BBC, The New York Times, and CNN.

I agree we should not limit ourselves to one source. Multiple sources help give us a well rounded view, and there is something valid in seeing many sources reporting the same information, especially if independently verified.

um.....fox offers glen beck, who fakes tears for ratings and writes infantile books. as for your take on liberals, do you honestly think right wingers believe leftist opinions are worth hearing?

I think both extremes of the political spectrum are equally unable to hear the other, the topic however is resistance to FOX News the only large scale conservative news outlet. I for one tend to lean to the conservative side on some issues, however can listen to more moderate liberals. Most liberals, that I have met, don't consider any other opinion than thier own.

Back
Top Bottom