• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FOX NEWS vs. CNN

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Between FOX NEWS and CNN, which of the two networks is more credible,fair and balanced, and why?

Neither - both spew heavy doses of confirmation bias.

Of the two I find FOX to be more balanced. (Of course my opinion on that is relative as specifically compared to CNN, and not other news sources.)

Why? While FOX has a clear "conservative" lean IMO it seems that they have no problem presenting straight news stories without much if any slant, even if the story is sometimes "bad news" for their viewpoint, as well as opposition views on even their "talking head" shows.

Whereas IMO this occurs very rarely on CNN, which spends most of it's time pushing the progressive agenda and slanting almost all news stories in such a way as to push this agenda.

Of the two I find FOX to be more balanced. (Of course my opinion on that is relative as specifically compared to CNN, and not other news sources.)

Why? While FOX has a clear "conservative" lean IMO it seems that they have no problem presenting straight news stories without much if any slant, even if the story is sometimes "bad news" for their viewpoint, as well as opposition views on even their "talking head" shows.

Whereas IMO this occurs very rarely on CNN, which spends most of it's time pushing the progressive agenda and slanting almost all news stories in such a way as to push this agenda.

I respectfully disagree. One of the main criteria I use to define 'fair and balanced' is how many guests any news outlet has over a period of time with opposing guests/views. So, I decided to keep a log one week ( Mon - Fri ) about a month ago. By far CNN has many more Conservative/Republican guests/pundits than FOX has Liberal/Democratic guests/pundits. Case in point: Chris Cuomo almost always opens his show debating a Conservative on any given topic ( sometimes two ), and also has a segment every night called ' The Great Debate' which features a Dem/Lib debating a Repub/Con on any given topic. This is but one example of many of the shows in which CNN almost always has a Conservative guest/pundit on it's panels.

Between FOX NEWS and CNN, which of the two networks is more credible,fair and balanced, and why?

CNN, by a country mile. And CNN is awful.

Fox News is a pestilence.

Neither are particularly "fair and balanced". I don't think that either are a very good news source either, they both have their propaganda machines. But between the two, CNN is better.

Neither are particularly "fair and balanced". I don't think that either are a very good news source either, they both have their propaganda machines. But between the two, CNN is better.

I give CNN the advantage primarily because,by far, they have more Conservative guests/pundits on there network than FOX has Liberal guests.pundits....and granted 'fair and balanced' is definately a relative term.

I've not seen CNN put up manipulated graphics that lie to their viewers. That goes beyond bias and lean and goes well into intentional deceit. Not to mention when CNN screws up they actually retract vs FOX which is more apt to ignore and hope the noise about it goes away.

EXPOSED: Here Are The Tricks That Fox News Uses To Manipulate Statistics On Its Graphics

Jeff Leek at Simply Statistics has a great post that explains how Fox News presents data in a really tricky way.

A lot of the issue comes in the way the data is presented. While most of the time the data is grounded in fact, by skewing the axes, using the wrong kind of chart, or just changing where the points should be on the graph, Fox is able to change the way that the information is interpreted.​

Last edited:
I give CNN the advantage primarily because,by far, they have more Conservative guests/pundits on there network than FOX has Liberal guests.pundits....and granted 'fair and balanced' is definately a relative term.

That is likely true but one must remember that most media bias is by simple omission. The hosts (actually their network bosses) pick (choose or select?) the topics (issues?) most often with careful slant (bias?) as to which side (major party) holds the advantage in that policy area (on that topic?).

That is likely true but one must remember that most media bias is by simple omission. The hosts (actually their network bosses) pick (choose or select?) the topics (issues?) most often with careful slant (bias?) as to which side (major party) holds the advantage in that policy area (on that topic?).

I know Cuomo,Blitzer,Cooper,and Dana Bash will often play 'the devil's advocate' so to speak, when interviewing a Dem/Lib guest asking them questions you'd expect a conservative leaning journalist to do when interviewing a Dem/lib. I honestly don't ever see any FOX 'journalists' doing the same when interviewing Repub/conservative guests. It seems to me FOX does much more editorializing than CNN, though granted CNN certainly does it's fair share too...especially Don Lemon.

Last edited:
I've not seen CNN put up manipulated graphics that lie to their viewers. That goes beyond bias and lean and goes well into intentional deceit. Not to mention when CNN screws up they actually retract vs FOX which is more apt to ignore and hope the noise about it goes away.

EXPOSED: Here Are The Tricks That Fox News Uses To Manipulate Statistics On Its Graphics

Jeff Leek at Simply Statistics has a great post that explains how Fox News presents data in a really tricky way.

A lot of the issue comes in the way the data is presented. While most of the time the data is grounded in fact, by skewing the axes, using the wrong kind of chart, or just changing where the points should be on the graph, Fox is able to change the way that the information is interpreted.​

Those are very good points yet the same is done by using "mass shootings" (an extremely small subset of "gun deaths") to show the sheeple that "gun deaths" are rising when, in fact, total "gun deaths" (like all violent crime) is falling and has been for over two decades.

Illegal immigrants are often portrayed using mostly images of women and children when the vast majority are adult males. You don't need charts or graphs to slant the images presented or, more commonly, not presented.

Last edited:

CNN is as boring as watching paint dry. Fox has women that are easy on the eyes. The give and take is usually pleasant and informative. CNN has Wolf. Yup. Wolf. Never smiles, acts embarrassed at the breathless garbage he tries to make sound exciting. But I give him a howl, because it's hard to get another job at his age. Fox has interesting guests, and they are paired with persons of equal status and ability when possible. You must be good looking and blond. No wolf pups.

CNN often used to put Donna Brazil across from some junior GOP staffer. Boring. Fox always attempts to but people of equal "weight" opposite each other so the audience gets a fair exchange and one does not dominate the other*. Fox hosts are much more up beat vs the dour countenance of the CNN people. They never smile and act as if they are stricken with eternal constipation. Laughter is nervous and guarded as if they are John Kerry clones with a microphone.

The only reason they are still there is because cable talking heads get paid well. And let us not forget Jeff Zucker wants to join the herd and run for Prez in 2020. But I'm sure he pinched an ass he shouldn't have, so we'll have to wait and see about that!

It amuses me how many "Faux" haters know so much about Fox. Almost as if they can't avoid watching it because deep down inside while CNN is boring, and Rachael Maddow is cute and engaging and speaks to democrat's guilt, Fox delivers the goods and asks nothing in return. Better watch out. Fox is going to get you!

*All hosts do control the guests. They are not allowed to filibuster or refuse to give up the "mike", and they cannot wander off into off topic subject. If you don't you have chaos which leads to remote control button pushing.

This is true. I grew up in a journalist household and I laugh at the "but reporters are generally so liberal" argument. The writers may be because they are generally younger and more idealistic but the editors and organization owners who actually decide what goes to print are more often conservative.

Well, both have their bias but between the two IMO Fox is the more 'fair and balanced'. CNN went off the rails some time ago, way off the rails.

CNN is as boring as watching paint dry. Fox has women that are easy on the eyes. The give and take is usually pleasant and informative. CNN has Wolf. Yup. Wolf. Never smiles, acts embarrassed at the breathless garbage he tries to make sound exciting. But I give him a howl, because it's hard to get another job at his age. Fox has interesting guests, and they are paired with persons of equal status and ability when possible. You must be good looking and blond. No wolf pups.

CNN often used to put Donna Brazil across from some junior GOP staffer. Boring. Fox always attempts to but people of equal "weight" opposite each other so the audience gets a fair exchange and one does not dominate the other*. Fox hosts are much more up beat vs the dour countenance of the CNN people. They never smile and act as if they are stricken with eternal constipation. Laughter is nervous and guarded as if they are John Kerry clones with a microphone.

The only reason they are still there is because cable talking heads get paid well. And let us not forget Jeff Zucker wants to join the herd and run for Prez in 2020. But I'm sure he pinched an ass he shouldn't have, so we'll have to wait and see about that!

It amuses me how many "Faux" haters know so much about Fox. Almost as if they can't avoid watching it because deep down inside while CNN is boring, and Rachael Maddow is cute and engaging and speaks to democrat's guilt, Fox delivers the goods and asks nothing in return. Better watch out. Fox is going to get you!

*All hosts do control the guests. They are not allowed to filibuster or refuse to give up the "mike", and they cannot wander off into off topic subject. If you don't you have chaos which leads to remote control button pushing.

I stopped at 'easy on the eye.' When I'm looking for news, physical aesthetics mean nothing.. But it does speak volumes about what you think qualifies one to be a good journalist.

I stopped at 'easy on the eye.' When I'm looking for news, physical aesthetics mean nothing.. But it does speak volumes about what you think qualifies one to be a good journalist.

Too bad you have no humor. Fox hosts would drive you crazy. Best you stay away.

I know Cuomo,Blitzer,Cooper,and Dana Bash will often play 'the devil's advocate' so to speak, when interviewing a Dem/Lib guest asking them questions you'd expect a conservative leaning journalist to do when interviewing a Dem/lib. I honestly don't ever see any FOX 'journalists' doing the same when interviewing Repub/conservative guests. It seems to me FOX does much more editorializing than CNN, though granted CNN certainly does it's fair share too...especially Don Lemon.

Fox News has Sean Hannity and Jeanine Pirro who simply make my skin crawl when they spew their partisan nonsense - that alone makes many see that station/network as pure biased garbage. Neither station/network presents nearly as much straight news as they do opinion (called "news analysis"?) and both slant their 'coverage' to what they think helps to re-enforce their viewers political bias. How often do either of those stations/networks cover the endless (and hugely expensive) 'wars' on terror, poverty or drugs compared to personal 'scandals' which are best left to the tabloids?

Fox News has Sean Hannity and Jeanine Pirro who simply make my skin crawl when they spew their partisan nonsense - that alone makes many see that station/network as pure biased garbage. Neither station/network presents nearly as much straight news as they do opinion (called "news analysis"?) and both slant their 'coverage' to what they think helps to re-enforce their viewers political bias. How often do either of those stations/networks cover the endless (and hugely expensive) 'wars' on terror, poverty or drugs compared to personal 'scandals' which are best left to the tabloids?

Yep..I call Hannity 'Trump's Apologist' and he's certainly been struggling even more than usual lately. Pirro is just a washed up old plastic surgery queen trying to hold onto a gig......but yes,I totally agree this 'tit for tat' between FOX and CNN has basically put everything you mentioned and more on the furthest of back burners, which is indeed sad. I don't expect that to change much even after Mueller finally completes his investigation...and who knows, with this new AG Trump just appointed,we may even soon face that dreaded constitutional crisis so many have talked about....all we do is stay tuned and ride out the storm I guess...at least for the time being.

That's a no-brainer.

If one is forced to choose, it would have to be FOX NEWS.

First, FOX does try to give both sides of an issue.

Second, FOX has the guts to air politically incorrect news and video. (I cannot be more specific.)

CNN is now a disgrace to journalism -- along with MSNBC. Many people like me never, ever watch those Pravda-like "news" channels.

Back
Top Bottom