• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FOX News Reporting Boeing 777 Crashes In San Francisco

PerfectStorm

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Prior to landing the tail came off and plane landed upside down.

A federal aviation official says an Asiana Airlines flight has crashed while landing at San Francisco airport. It was not immediately known whether there were any injuries.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Lynn Lunsford says the Boeing 777 crashed at San Francisco Airport while landing on Saturday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SAN_FRANCISCO_AIRLINER_CRASH?SITE=CATOR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-06-15-14-51

Plane was from S. Korea.

Last edited:
horrible...horrible...horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:(

I've read reports that there are survivors. Seems that the evacuation slides were activated so that would indicate survivors.

Listening to KCBS radio and they are saying it was a cargo plane.

I hate flying!

News is now saying it was a passenger plane. Eyewitness report mentions emergency slides. Video footage shows emergency door open.

Video definitely shows emergency slides deployed so I'd expect at least some survivors. Just heard 291 souls on board.

Video definitely shows emergency slides deployed so I'd expect at least some survivors. Just heard 291 souls on board.

OMG. This just happened about an hour ago . . . it's difficult to believe the triage area would be free of ambulances and victims on the ground. It looks like there are three or four of them right now. If there were 291 people on board . . . OMG.

Video looks like the plane just landed short and took the tail off.

From the live video feed, it looks like the rear of the plane hit the rock wall at the end of the runway since there are lots of pieces of the tail broken apart and scattered around the end of the runway.

Based on the CNN live feed it seems like maybe they may have landed too short on the displaced threshhold and ripped the land gear off/lost control on the ground.

OMG. This just happened about an hour ago . . . it's difficult to believe the triage area would be free of ambulances and victims on the ground. It looks like there are three or four of them right now. If there were 291 people on board . . . OMG.

Well, I don't want to speculate too much but one of the reporters at the airport just said that he spoke to a guy whose wife was on the plane and, according to her(through the reporter), she thinks everyone got off without major injuries. Here's hoping!

From the live video feed, it looks like the rear of the plane hit the rock wall at the end of the runway since there are lots of pieces of the tail broken apart and scattered around the end of the runway.

Yep and one of the gear struts laying not too far down the runway with a skid/slid mark behind it.

man Boeing has been having some rotten luck with their new planes lately.

I hate crashing but love flying.

LOL. There is that old aviation saying, "Flying is the second greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the first."

Right you are. It clearly didn't flip. It better be a cargo plane, though, because the passenger compartment looks like it's toast.

How the HELL does a plane's TAIL fall off? WTF?

It's not a cargo plane.

A crash that occurs after touchdown typically isn't a total loss. Fewer troubles with Newton. The fueselage appears to be mostly intact, so that's a good sign.

As for a tail falling off, a bad impact could snap the tail loose. I'm guessing the tail came off during impact, not during flight. If the tail comes off in flight, things don't go this well. The 777 tail is mostly composites. They're tough and light, but as I understand it when they do fail, they tend to fail rather spectacularly.

Last edited:

From the LA Times:

San Francisco International Airport was closed after a Boeing 777 operated by Asiana Airlines crashed while landing on Saturday.

...In a brief phone interview, a passenger from the flight who didn’t want to give his name told the Los Angeles Times that most of the passengers on the flight were unharmed.

“I just want their families to know,” he said. “Most of the people seem OK and we’re just letting the paramedics do their job.” Asiana Airlines crash: Passengers taken to hospitals, SFO closed - latimes.com

I hate crashing but love flying.

I've been involved with three "unscheduled landings" on military aircraft. No one was hurt bad in any of them though. The worst one I was in was a UH-60 in Mogadishu when we added some unexpected lead to the engine and had to auto-rotate down in the city. Not fun. You may have read about it or saw a movie that talked about it. My avatar picture was taken in the same UH-60 a couple days earlier.

I was also on a Delta L1011 flying from ATL to HNL when we lost cabin pressure over the Pacific. The masks deployed and a pre-recorded message started YELLING at us to put the masks on and breath normally. Yeah, right.

Back
Top Bottom