• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox News North

Orion

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Fox News North channel set to launch in Canada | Reuters

In a bid to shake up Canadian broadcasting, media company Quebecor Inc QRBb.TO says it will launch a 24-hour conservative news and comment channel that many observers are already dubbing "Fox News North".

Quebecor said on Tuesday it has applied for a three-year license for the proposed English-language Sun TV News channel and if successful, would start broadcasting on Jan. 1, 2011.

"We're taking on the mainstream media. We're taking on smug, condescending, often irrelevant journalism, we're taking on political correctness," said Teneycke, promising a mix of hard news reporting and opinion journalism.

One of the slogans on the Sun TV News website is "Join the fight" and Teneycke said the channel would be "unapologetically patriotic" and "controversially Canadian".

Like a fetid virus that no one wants to contract, Fox is spreading north of the border, courtesy of Canada's very own neo-con party, and brought to you by the biggest tabloid whore corporation in Canada: Sun TV. That's right, Canadian tax dollars will be footing the bill for this filth. Our news that has always been centrist or left of centre is now going to become far, far left thanks to the spin doctors of Rupert Murdock.

I just hope Canadians have more sense than to rely on it for viable information.

If your news is center and left-of-center, what's wrong with having a right-of-center source, too? Why is right-of-center "filth," yet the left-of-center isn't?

Like a fetid virus that no one wants to contract, Fox is spreading north of the border, courtesy of Canada's very own neo-con party, and brought to you by the biggest tabloid whore corporation in Canada: Sun TV. That's right, Canadian tax dollars will be footing the bill for this filth. Our news that has always been centrist or left of centre is now going to become far, far left thanks to the spin doctors of Rupert Murdock.

I just hope Canadians have more sense than to rely on it for viable information.

I didn't know Canada had the same media bias we do. Congratulations to them for standing up to it. I don't know why tax dollars would have to foot the bill though. Don't they have sponsors? There's no reason for Conservatives to depend on Government. It's not like they won't have an audience.

Canadians will be "footing the bill" with tax dollars? That's definitely not something I'd support. Otherwise I don't see what the big deal is. Nothing wrong with alternatives. If Canadian news has, as you said, always been center or left of center, all the better to have a conservative alternative.

I love that they're calling it "controversially Canadian". What a term. I can only imagine the Canadian version of "love it or leave it".

If your news is center and left-of-center, what's wrong with having a right-of-center source, too? Why is right-of-center "filth," yet the left-of-center isn't?

I'm not against right wing news, but as most of us know, Fox is not news. The vast majority of its air time is spent on pundits who are busy spewing spindoctor, hate-mongering speeches to the audience, and I don't want my tax dollars funding that. You don't find any equivalent to that in current Canadian news. It's the right who introduce the radical elements to the media in order to shake things up and make political power plays.

I do not support this agency being entered into our market, or Canadians being made to foot the bill for it.

I'm not against right wing news, but as most of us know, Fox is not news. The vast majority of its air time is spent on pundits who are busy spewing spindoctor, hate-mongering speeches to the audience, and I don't want my tax dollars funding that. You don't find any equivalent to that in current Canadian news. It's the right who introduce the radical elements to the media in order to shake things up and make political power plays.

I'm sure there are many on the right who would say the same about much of the news from the left. I suspect it's a matter of perspective.

I'm sure there are many on the right who would say the same about much of the news from the left. I suspect it's a matter of perspective.

I disagree. There has always been a left and right in the U.S., but after 9/11 the polarization became so intense, and it is becoming even more intense with each passing year. A lot that has to do with how the news networks are taking advantage of controversies or creating new ones that weren't ever there in the first place in order to drive a wedge in public opinion. The "ground zero mosque" is an example of that. It was a non-issue a year ago and then when Rupert Murdock's news outlets started blasting the airwaves about it, you suddenly saw the entire American right wing up in arms. It's how these corporate-controlled news networks gain ratings and earn money, but they don't give a toss about the social ramifications, or how it is turning people against people.

You have to understand that Canada does not have this polarized culture. We have right wing and left wing people, but they are not at each other's throats like we are seeing in the U.S. You don't see the average person standing up and saying, "I'm a proud liberal!" or "I'm a life long conservative and proud of it!" We are not divided into camps up here like you are down there. The introduction of Fox News to Canada has the potential to start that phenomenon, and it worries me. It takes issues that were not controversial in the first place, attaches fixed political stances to them, and if you don't agree with Fox then you are a "leftist". That is not right wing philosophy, that is propagandist garbage. I am angry that people are letting these fake conservatives destroy what traditional conservative philosophy has been about; and it's never been about soapbox, melodramatic bull**** being aired 24/7.

The right wing is not under-represented in Canada, it's simply our demographic. We have fiscal conservatives and moderates in every party. This is about the kind of tabloid culture we are seeing in American mainstream media coming to infect the Canadian system. If they want to bring real news and a real right wing perspective, I am all for that, but look at their stated slogans. They are coming to inject our media with American-style propagandist television.

And again, Canadians are paying for it. It's outrageous. They are not even a NEWS network by Canadian standards.

Last edited:
I disagree. There has always been a left and right in the U.S., but after 9/11 the polarization became so intense, and it is becoming even more intense with each passing year. A lot that has to do with how the news networks are taking advantage of controversies or creating new ones that weren't ever there in the first place in order to drive a wedge in public opinion. The "ground zero mosque" is an example of that. It was a non-issue a year ago and then when Rupert Murdock's news outlets started blasting the airwaves about it, you suddenly saw the entire American right wing up in arms. It's how these corporate-controlled news networks gain ratings and earn money, but they don't give a toss about the social ramifications, or how it is turning people against people.

You have to understand that Canada does not have this polarized culture. We have right wing and left wing people, but they are not at each other's throats like we are seeing in the U.S. You don't see the average person standing up and saying, "I'm a proud liberal!" or "I'm a life long conservative and proud of it!" We are not divided into camps up here like you are down there. The introduction of Fox News to Canada has the potential to start that phenomenon, and it worries me. It takes issues that were not controversial in the first place, attaches fixed political stances to them, and if you don't agree with Fox then you are a "leftist". That is not right wing philosophy, that is propagandist garbage. I am angry that people are letting these fake conservatives destroy what traditional conservative philosophy has been about; and it's never been about soapbox, melodramatic bull**** being aired 24/7.

The right wing is not under-represented in Canada, it's simply our demographic. We have fiscal conservatives and moderates in every party. This is about the kind of tabloid culture we are seeing in American mainstream media coming to infect the Canadian system. If they want to bring real news and a real right wing perspective, I am all for that, but look at their stated slogans. They are coming to inject our media with American-style propagandist television.

And every single thing that you just mentioned could be said about MSNBC or the NYT, if the speaker happened to be your counterpart on the right.

And every single thing that you just mentioned could be said about MSNBC or the NYT, if the speaker happened to be your counterpart on the right.

You're still looking at it from an American perspective, which I can't blame you for because it's your culture.

Canada doesn't have "liberal" or "conservative" news. We have NEWS, period. People in Canada don't make those comparisons generally.

What Fox News North will do is introduce that mentality. It's culture-altering and not in a good way.

You're still looking at it from an American perspective, which I can't blame you for because it's your culture.

Canada doesn't have "liberal" or "conservative" news. We have NEWS, period. People in Canada don't make those comparisons generally.

What Fox News North will do is introduce that mentality. It's culture-altering and not in a good way.

****in eh....

You already said that your news is center to left of center. You might not think that your news is "liberal" or "conservative," but I'm sure that there are those who do. If the news in America were all center-right, I would wager that people who are center-right would perceive the news as being unbiased. Those on the left would probably consider the news to be "conservative."

If people want to watch news like this, it will presumably flourish. If they don't, it won't.

I do not support this agency being entered into our market, or Canadians being made to foot the bill for it.

I'm sorry Orion, you must have fox confused with MSNBC, but they are left, not right.

You already said that your news is center to left of center. You might not think that your news is "liberal" or "conservative," but I'm sure that there are those who do. If the news in America were all center-right, I would wager that people who are center-right would perceive the news as being unbiased. Those on the left would probably consider the news to be "conservative."

If people want to watch news like this, it will presumably flourish. If they don't, it won't.

I don't think you really get what it is I'm trying to say because you still view it through a particular cultural lens.

This is a conversation I should be having with other Canadians.

Wait, what?

Our news that has always been centrist or left of centre

Even if what you say about Fox News were true . . .

You do get that this isn't literally Fox News, right, that it's a completely independent venture? Not really sure that you do.

In any case, as for your tax money, I'm sure there are plenty of right-of-center Canadians who aren't thrilled about their tax money going to left-of-center news.

It seems to me, that if Canada had a balance of news and opinion, there would be no need for this new network.

"Shaddup or I'll cut your mike, eh?"

-Canadian Bill O'Reilly

"Shaddup or I'll cut your mike, eh?"

-Canadian Bill O'Reilly

Since this is coming from Quebec
"Leafs fans, f*** you, you dirty hosers"

-Canadian Glenn Beck

Back
Top Bottom