• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox News May Get Helen Thomas Seat

somepeoplesay

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
From Mediaite.

Although it just happened Monday, it seems like ages since Helen Thomas abruptly retired following a firestorm over comments she made about the Middle East. While speculation began immediately over who would end up in Helen’s front row center seat in the briefing room, a clear consensus among White House reporters has taken shape: looks like Fox News’ Major Garrett might be the big winner.

Today’s briefing was the first since she retired, and before Gibbs came out, a photographer took a shot of Helen’s empty seat, eliciting a sincere chorus of “Awwww” from the assembled press corps. Considering the radioactivity of her comments, that might be all the tribute she ends up getting.

The background buzz among White House reporters is overwhelmingly that Fox News will get the seat, although it’s the White House Correspondents Association board who will decide.

In any case, the move to the front row would not make much practical difference to Fox’s White House reporters, Major Garrett and Wendell Goler. In terms of access and availability, there’s no appreciable difference. The ripple effect to the later rows will be the real prize. Moving to the 3rd row means going from maybe getting one question in, to definitely getting two or three.

There’s also a sense among most, now, that Helen probably should have retired several years ago. While that would mean I’d never have met her, perhaps that would have been best in the big picture.

I'll believe it when I see it, if this administration has any sense they will not give Fox a front-row seat. Could you imagine George Bush giving, say, the Huffington Post a front row seat?

It's interesting, but since Helen Thomas was very partisan I guess it's not that big of a deal, thoughts?

From Mediaite.

I'll believe it when I see it, if this administration has any sense they will not give Fox a front-row seat. Could you imagine George Bush giving, say, the Huffington Post a front row seat?

It's interesting, but since Helen Thomas was very partisan I guess it's not that big of a deal, thoughts?

I think they should give Fox the seat and then pull them out for what they are.

I think they should give Fox the seat and then pull them out for what they are.

And what would that be? The highest rated news network in the country? Yea, bobo didn't learn his lesson the last time he tried to go against fox news. His ass is still sore from that spanking.

Last edited:
And what would that be? The highest rated news network in the country? Yea, bobo didn't learn his lesson the last time he tried to go against fox news. His ass is still sore from that spanking.

The higher they are the farer they have to fall.

From Mediaite.

Why wouldn't Obama give Major Garret Thomas' seat?

Before I read the entire thread title, I thought you were saying that Thomas was going to work for Fox! :mrgreen:
Now THAT would be interesting.:)

I think they should give Helen a seat on……Fox and friends. How would you like that staring back at you at five in the morn? :mrgreen:

From Mediaite.

A little confused by your post/assertion. According to the link the decision is not made by the Adminstration. It is made by the White House Correspondence Board. Is that board controlled by the WH....??

AHAHA I bet they would want that to make them as a cool news network ahahaha. The front seat crowd is just someone who is cozier with the president or the White House Correspondence Board during each administration which I doubt FOX NEWS is viewed as something legitimate by this administration, so I would have to say it would be the White House Correspondence Board thoughts on the matter.

Cole to some degree I think the press for the white house conferences are controlled by the white house even thought it says they are controlled by the White House Correspondence Board.

Last edited:
IMO all chairs should be equal.

Why does anybody care which seat anybody sits in? Isn't the entire point of that room to pay attention to the dude at the podium and what he says?

From Mediaite.

The White House Correspondents Association controls who will get that seat, and they act independently of the White House. The seat is not the President's to give.

The front seat crowd is just someone who is cozier with the president or the White House Correspondence Board during each administration

You don't know what you are talking about...again.

IMO all chairs should be equal.

All chairs are created equal and should have equal opportunities; however, while some chairs rise to greatness, others flounder in self-pity and depression. Thus, some of the chairs get to be in the front. Don't hold their success against them; that's just being a hater.

Last edited:
Why does anybody care which seat anybody sits in? Isn't the entire point of that room to pay attention to the dude at the podium and what he says?

It's of relevance to approximately 12 people in the country, those in the press room who get to feel superior every time they sit down 36 inches closer to the president than a rival.

However, it's an opportunity for people to become outraged against/on behalf of Fox, which makes it of interest to millions. Depressingly.

Back
Top Bottom