• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox News' Alternate Reality 2.0

Karl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
WITH YOUR SECOND CUP OF COFFEE...Conservative economist Thomas Sowell slams liberals for inveighing against “trickle-down economics,” even though no one has ever advocated such a thing. From The Trickle-Down Lie: “While there have been all too many lies told in politics, most have some little, tiny fraction of truth in them, to make them seem plausible. But the ‘trickle-down’ lie is 100 percent lie… The ‘trickle-down’ theory cannot be found in even the most voluminous scholarly studies of economic theories… The time is long overdue for people to ask themselves why it is necessary for those on the left to make up a lie if what they believe in is true.”

Obama rekindles . . . @ Fox News dot com

The right wing alternate reality only gets curiouser and curiouser. Pretty much anyone understands that Reaganomics / Supply Side Economics is trickle down theory. Even Reagan budget director David Stockman says so:

Today, "trickle-down economics" is most closely identified with the economic policies known as "Reaganomics" or laissez-faire. David Stockman, who as Reagan's budget director championed these cuts at first but then became skeptical of them, told journalist William Greider that the "supply-side economics" is the trickle-down idea: "It's kind of hard to sell 'trickle down,' so the supply-side formula was the only way to get a tax policy that was really 'trickle down.' Supply-side is 'trickle-down' theory."[5][6]

Trickle-down economics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And even today, the right's rabid defence of "job creators" is simply, again, trickle down economics. Provide some type of benefit or relief to the "job creators" (a.k.a "the rich") and good things (jobs) will trickle down to the masses. Of course this has never really worked to any successful extent, so perhaps this is why Fox, Sowell, and the right are now trying to rewrite history (even as it is occurring, it seems). Or, simply invent their own reality (trickle down never existed, or at least it was never proposed by the right :doh ).

As to Fox's observation in bold in the quote above, I can only
lol-049.gif
while warning Fox fans (and Sowell fans) that they clearly think you are, quite simply, stupid.

ah, so that's where the "no such thing as trickle down" thing is coming from. i should have guessed. :lol:

keep dancing!

Stroll through any US retail store and then carefully examine the country of origin for the goods being sold in it. This tells you fairly quickly where the jobs are being created (or saved). Raising US taxation rates further to support ever more US gov't spending will not make that situation get any better.

Stroll through any US retail store and then carefully examine the country of origin for the goods being sold in it. This tells you fairly quickly where the jobs are being created (or saved). Raising US taxation rates further to support ever more US gov't spending will not make that situation get any better.

In regard to corporations, the U.S. already has the highest corporate tax rate in the world. According to recent studies even when you include loopholes etc. etc. overall the U.S. puts a greater burden on corporations than any other country. That sure makes it difficult to compete on a global basis. It is why we see so many manufacturing jobs exiting. We need those jobs. I have no doubt if this country would offer a tax holiday by cutting regulations/taxes to make us competitive for 5 years it would be an incentive for many of those jobs to return and be appealing to foreign corporations to consider moving their operations here as well. But if they did that then the Democrats wouldn't have any excuse to increase unemployment benefits, and more entitlements because folks would be working providing for themselves. They wouldn't have an excuse to raise taxes for more revenue because all those working paying taxes would naturally raise revenue and decrease the cost of welfare. Oh well, maybe in 2 1/2 years there will be an opportunity to do the right thing with a regime change.

Another Study Confirms: U.S. Has One of the Highest Effective Corporate Tax Rates in the World | Tax Foundation

In regard to corporations, the U.S. already has the highest corporate tax rate in the world. According to recent studies even when you include loopholes etc. etc. overall the U.S. puts a greater burden on corporations than any other country. That sure makes it difficult to compete on a global basis. It is why we see so many manufacturing jobs exiting. We need those jobs. I have no doubt if this country would offer a tax holiday by cutting regulations/taxes to make us competitive for 5 years it would be an incentive for many of those jobs to return and be appealing to foreign corporations to consider moving their operations here as well. But if they did that then the Democrats wouldn't have any excuse to increase unemployment benefits, and more entitlements because folks would be working providing for themselves. They wouldn't have an excuse to raise taxes for more revenue because all those working paying taxes would naturally raise revenue and decrease the cost of welfare. Oh well, maybe in 2 1/2 years there will be an opportunity to do the right thing with a regime change.

Another Study Confirms: U.S. Has One of the Highest Effective Corporate Tax Rates in the World | Tax Foundation

Is a zero tax rate too high?

Over 10 Percent Of America's Largest Companies Pay Zero Percent Tax Rates

The Liberal cattle are taught to focus entirely on social and emotional issues, and the legalization of pot, of course. This training renders them incapable of competing in an America of declining unskilled work and increasing technological requirements.

Additionally, the emotional rewards of constant complaint about others eventually fade away leaving them bitter and convinced something must be wrong with a system that does not reward them personally.

So we see this endless carping about a system that rewards others who actually do necessary and renumerative work. Their economic system consists almost entirely of believing the minimum wage is too low and their leaders run for office on platforms of this nature.

Last edited:
The Liberal cattle are taught to focus entirely on social and emotional issues, and the legalization of pot, of course. This training renders them incapable of competing in an America of declining unskilled work and increasing technological requirements.

Additionally, the emotional rewards of constant complaint about others eventually fade away leaving them bitter and convinced something must be wrong with a system that does not reward them personally.

So we see this endless carping about a system that rewards others who actually do necessary and renumerative work. Their economic system finally reaches a nadir of actually believing the minimum wage is too low.
The right cattle are taught to contrive stories like this one. Before i retired, I was a high tech IT programmer that rewarded well.

The forum is "Bias in the Media", and the topic is the Fox/Sowell attempt to rewrite history/reality as it pertains to their disavowance of an economic theory that they formerly as well as currently support.

On topic comments welcomed.

Off topic comments considered tacit agreement with the OP :mrgreen:

ah, so that's where the "no such thing as trickle down" thing is coming from. i should have guessed. :lol:

keep dancing!

Great song.... "Play at Your Own Risk" Planet Patrol

And even today, the right's rabid defence of "job creators" is simply, again, trickle down economics.

Who is the economist that created the "trickle down" economic theory? And where is the book/paper for it?

The forum is "Bias in the Media", and the topic is the Fox/Sowell attempt to rewrite history/reality as it pertains to their disavowance of an economic theory that they formerly as well as currently support.

On topic comments welcomed.

Off topic comments considered tacit agreement with the OP :mrgreen:

Rewrite history? How do you equate a Fox News article quoting an economist's column from an unaffiliated website, which is mixed in with over 2 dozen other quotes on a wide range of different topics, an attempt by Fox News to "rewrite history"?

Maybe you failed to understand what that article was about... It's called "Buzz cut", which are a bunch of various quotes from all over the political spectrum along with unrelated snip-it's from other published articles that have no specific theme. The Fox News article didn't endorse or support Sowell's piece, and didn't use it as a means to refute anyone. It was merely one of the many dozens of snip-its contained in the more than 2 dozen different topics that wasn't posted for any other reason that to say "Did you hear what Sowell said in his National Review piece".

Hell, that quote from Sowell not only wasn't in the headline, but it didn't even make it into the subheading:

Buzz Cut:
• Obama rekindles ‘poor’ war
• Sister Act: Nuns make potent adversaries
• Obama appointee strikes down Chicago gun regs
• Schweitzer saddles up: The outsider case against Hillary
• What is a ‘nerd alert,’ Alex?​

Your contention that Fox News is trying to rewrite history is nothing but a manufactured load of partisan horse****, and indicates to me that your seething political hatred toward Fox has effected your ability render common sense conclusions.

Great song.... "Play at Your Own Risk" Planet Patrol

i wondered what that song was. thanks!

my fave from that era was probably "The Show;" Doug E Fresh / Slick Rick.

Who is the economist that created the "trickle down" economic theory? And where is the book/paper for it?

There is no book or paper for it, because It doesn't exist... It's merely a political pejorative that was coined as a means to belittle various politicians who favored lowering the unfair 50%-90% income tax rate on upper income brackets, and/or the 50% corporate tax rates on businesses that were both seen through most of the 20th century in the US.

There is no book or paper for it, because It doesn't exist... It's merely a political pejorative that was coined as a means to belittle various politicians who favored lowering the unfair 50%-90% income tax rate on upper income brackets, and/or the 50% corporate tax rates on businesses that were both seen through most of the 20th century in the US.
And here is the alternate reality in full bloom, folks -- trickle down economics doesn't exist. At least in their world. While people in the real world -- such as David Stockman, the Pope, and most any other reasonably well informed person -- are quite aware of what it is and who are proponents of it.

Definition of 'Trickle-Down Theory'

An economic idea which states that decreasing marginal and capital gains tax rates - especially for corporations, investors and entrepreneurs - can stimulate production in the overall economy. According to trickle-down theory proponents, this stimulus leads to economic growth and wealth creation that benefits everyone, not just those who pay the lower tax rates.

President Reagan's economic policies, commonly referred to as "Reaganomics" or supply-side economics, were based on trickle-down theory. [...]

Trickle Down Theory Definition | Investopedia

Pope Francis said:
“Some people continue to defend trickle-down theories which assume that economic growth, encouraged by a free market, will inevitably succeed in bringing about greater justice and inclusiveness in the world,” Francis wrote in the papal statement. “This opinion, which has never been confirmed by the facts, expresses a crude and naive trust in the goodness of those wielding economic power and in the sacra*lized workings of the prevailing economic system.”

“Meanwhile,” he added, “the excluded are still waiting.”

Pope Francis denounces ‘trickle-down’ economic theories in sharp criticism of inequality - The Washington Post

Send us a postcard from the Twilight Zone, fellas :2wave:

What's curious is that we all know that the right is rabidly in favor of trickle down, but they refuse to admit it and even go so far as to claim it doesn't even exist. Oh well... as I noted elsewhere, the right wing world is getting curiouser and curiouser.

So Karl, are you going to retract your unwarrented slam on Fox News, or does partisan hate win the day over being honest?

And here is the alternate reality in full bloom, folks -- trickle down economics doesn't exist. At least in their world. While people in the real world -- such as David Stockman, the Pope, and most any other reasonably well informed person -- are quite aware of what it is and who are proponents of it.

Sorry karl, but "Trickle down economics" is not an economic theory, it's a political expression created to describe supply side economics in a negative way. aka, it's a political pajorative.

If it was an actual economic theory, then you wouldn't have ignored scatt twice, much in the way you ignored my post showing how your partisan attack on Fox News was was completely bogus.

So what's it going to be karl? Honesty or ideology?

[...] then you wouldn't have ignored scatt twice, much in the way you ignored my post [...]
I generally ignore unintelligent posts as well as troll posts, strawman posts, and ad hominem posts -- unless they contain something humorous, ironic, or that buttresses my point.

As such, the only reason I am responding to your post is to correct your erroneous/strawman assumption as to why I ignore some posts/posters. The fact that trickle down theory or economics exists, even if nothing more than an adjective, has already been well established in this reality and in this thread... except, of course, in the alternate reality constructed by the right wing echo chamber, which is the point of the OP.

Based on the OP and some of the responses to it, I suspect that if I (or any Democrat/Liberal/Progressive/etc.) were to say the earth was round, 'talk media conservatives' would be calling for links, documentation, a timeline (when was the earth first discovered to be round, and who knew it?), Congressional testimony, and photographic evidence (which, if produced, they would claim is Photoshopped :lamo ).

I generally ignore unintelligent posts as well as troll posts, strawman posts, and ad hominem posts -- unless they contain something humorous, ironic, or that buttresses my point.

As such, the only reason I am responding to your post is to correct your erroneous/strawman assumption as to why I ignore some posts/posters. The fact that trickle down theory or economics exists, even if nothing more than an adjective, has already been well established in this reality and in this thread... except, of course, in the alternate reality constructed by the right wing echo chamber, which is the point of the OP.

Based on the OP and some of the responses to it, I suspect that if I (or any Democrat/Liberal/Progressive/etc.) were to say the earth was round, 'talk media conservatives' would be calling for links, documentation, a timeline (when was the earth first discovered to be round, and who knew it?), Congressional testimony, and photographic evidence (which, if produced, they would claim is Photoshopped :lamo ).

That's a nifty piece of avoidance there Karl. If what you say is true you should have no problem providing the info scatt asked for. But you can't. You got caught confusing political speech for economic theory. AND that highlights the problem with fanatics who buy sloganeering outright.

You forgot to mention how you also ignore any response that exposes your claims as blatant falsehoods and lies. Which is precisely what my post did...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/bias-...alternate-reality-2-0-a-2.html#post1062769617

The fact that you are standing by your false claim isn't surprising to me at all. Hell, I came to the realization a long time ago that it's just the progressive way... Just ask Rachel Maddow who is also standing by her phony partisan attack against the Koch brothers... What is surprising though, is that you actually had the gall to respond to me, and continue pretending that your claim about Fox News is actually a valid one.

LOL... more ad hominems. This isn't the 6th grade playground, boys -- you need to come up with something smarter than that if you want to be taken seriously on an adult intellectual level. If not... well, enjoy the mudslinging, that's what boys (and Fox) do ;)

Edit: here's a freebie, heard on Fox today (afternoon IIRC) --

Somebody was whining about not getting some info from the government, probably some House committee, maybe even Mr. Witch Hunt himself -- Darrell Issa. In any case, the terminology used by Gretchen Carson was: "... [so and so] accused the administration of stonewalling, again . . . "

The sentence structure is important. It implies that the administration is stonewalling, again. Fact. However, the accurate sentence structure would be "... [so and so] again accused the administration of stonewalling ... ". Repeated accusation, not fact.

That one little change, and you can probably bet all those words she spoke were carefully crafted, completely changes the meaning/intent of the 'news' report. I doubt these little 'slip ups' are unintentional but instead further evidence of institutional bias to the point of propagandizing the news into something actually false.

Last edited:

his isn't the 6th grade playground, boys -- you need to come up with something smarter than that if you want to be taken seriously on an adult intellectual level.

Ad homs.

LOL... more ad hominems. This isn't the 6th grade playground, boys -- you need to come up with something smarter than that if you want to be taken seriously on an adult intellectual level. If not... well, enjoy the mudslinging, that's what boys (and Fox) do ;)

Is that your way of avoiding the post I made yesterday, that proved this entire thread you created is bogus?

A little refresher for you without the commentary, so you no longer have any excuse for ignoring it:

Rewrite history? How do you equate a Fox News article quoting an economist's column from an unaffiliated website, which is mixed in with over 2 dozen other quotes on a wide range of different topics, an attempt by Fox News to "rewrite history"?

Maybe you failed to understand what that article was about... It's called "Buzz cut", which are a bunch of various quotes from all over the political spectrum along with unrelated snip-it's from other published articles that have no specific theme. The Fox News article didn't endorse or support Sowell's piece, and didn't use it as a means to refute anyone. It was merely one of the many dozens of snip-its contained in the more than 2 dozen different topics that wasn't posted for any other reason that to say "Did you hear what Sowell said in his National Review piece".

Hell, that quote from Sowell not only wasn't in the headline, but it didn't even make it into the subheading:

Buzz Cut:
• Obama rekindles ‘poor’ war
• Sister Act: Nuns make potent adversaries
• Obama appointee strikes down Chicago gun regs
• Schweitzer saddles up: The outsider case against Hillary
• What is a ‘nerd alert,’ Alex?​

Pete & repeat ;)

Back
Top Bottom