• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox Lies About Polling To Claim It Is "Most Trusted" TV News Source

pbrauer

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
From that latest PPP survey Fox is least trusted news source

Fox News has been touting an outdated survey in order to falsely claim that a
national polling firm says that Fox "is the most trusted television news source
in the country."

In recent press releases -- including one sent out today announcing
the hiring of Ed Henry as the channel's chief White House correspondent -- Fox
has made the following claim:
FOX News Channel (FNC) is a 24-hour all-encompassing news service dedicated
to delivering breaking news as well as political and business news. A top five
cable network, FNC has been the most watched news channel in the country
for nearly ten years and according to Public Policy Polling, is the most trusted
television news source in the country. Owned by News Corp., FNC is
available in more than 90 million homes and dominates the cable news landscape,
routinely notching the top ten programs in the genre.
It's true that in January 2010 -- a year-and-a-half ago -- Public Policy
Polling released a survey saying that respondents trusted Fox News more than any
other outlet the pollster asked about. In that poll, 49 percent of respondents
said they trusted Fox News, compared to 37 percent who distrusted it.

But that doesn't mean Fox is still the most trusted news outlet.
"They are touting the 2010 version of that poll when the 2011 version of the
poll came out differently," says Tom Jensen, the director of PPP.

Indeed, PPP published a new installment of the poll in January 2011 -- with very different results. This
time, PPP found that PBS -- which wasn't included in the 2010 poll -- was by far
the most trusted outlet. Fifty percent of respondents said they trust PBS, while
only 30 percent said they distrust PBS. Meanwhile, trust in Fox dropped to 42
percent, while distrust of Fox increased to 46 percent.

From PPP's write-up of the January 2011 results:

Fox Lies About Polling To Claim It Is "Most Trusted" TV News Source | Media Matters for America

Does not make sense. If CBS has increased 7% why are the getting rid of Couric? I find this second annual report not beleivable

FOX News seems to be crushing everyone else in the ratings. I wonder what that means ;)

no one is debating that faux has higher ratings. All this shows is that there is a lot of lemmings that follow them.

from the OP link...

In this month’s poll, Fox is still relied on by more than some other competitors but is far behind PBS, tested for the first time. PBS is the only group trusted by a majority and distrusted by fewer than 40%.
someone has to be 1st.

Both moderates (from -15 to -32) and liberals (from -40 to -76) have almost completely abandoned Fox.
Big surprise there, huh.

But it remains the most trusted by any one ideological group (conservatives, at 72-16) of any of the networks except PBS’ 76-11 with liberals. Conservatives only mistrust PBS by a -32 margin, way less than their -49 of NBC, -51 of ABC, -53 of CBS, and -54 of CNN. The narrow moderate plurality (41% to
conservatives’ 40%) give PBS a +49, roughly two to three times their +26 for CNN, +24
for NBC, +17 for ABC, and +16 for CBS.
no surprises here.

While Republicans have only slightly declined in their esteem of Fox (from 74-15 to 67-22), independents have gone from about even (41-44) to -16, and Democrats’ mistrust has doubled from -22 to -43.
again... big surprise.

So, essentially... liberal and moderates are more distrustful of FOX News than they were last year. Color me shocked.

According to the new poll, FOX News is still more trusted than everyone else but PBS.

Yes. Conservatives are all lemmings, while liberals are simply following their convictions. :rolleyes:

Now I was just about to give you a LIKE until the smilie thingie at the end.

no one is debating that faux has higher ratings. All this shows is that there is a lot of lemmings that follow them.

No it shows they are more trusted and they show both sides of issues. They are not a political propaganda machine like the liberal media

I'd ask if you cared to actually add something to the discussion. But past history indicates that is highly unlikely.

That is unfortunate that you feel that way. Perhaps it speaks more to the ability of some to understand than it does to any problem with the message itself. Blind extremist idealogy and slavish devotion to a self imposed highly axiomatic belief system tends to have that effect on many.

No it shows they are more trusted and they show both sides of issues. They are not a political propaganda machine like the liberal media

Bullcrap! a lot of liberals watch it as well and they do not trust it.

According to the new poll, FOX News is still more trusted than everyone else but PBS.

According to the poll Fox is distrusted the most.

pppfoxtrust.jpg

That is unfortunate that you feel that way. Perhaps it speaks more to the ability of some to understand than it does to any problem with the message itself. Blind extremist idealogy and slavish devotion to a self imposed highly axiomatic belief system tends to have that effect on many.

I'd be willing to bet you don't understand the words you just used.

I agree...

when you quote another poster and leave out part of the quote, it's common courtesy to indicate the fact with dots. Assuming of course you don't want to be confused for a blind partisan hack all the time.

I'm just sayin.

Last edited:

I posted Jon Stewart's appearance on Chris Wallace's show, and I don't think my high school friend even watched it. She just posted, all in caps, "FOX NEWS ROCKS!" ......... alrighty then.

I posted Jon Stewart's appearance on Chris Wallace's show, and I don't think my high school friend even watched it. She just posted, all in caps, "FOX NEWS ROCKS!" ......... alrighty then.

Invite her to DP, please.

I'd be willing to bet you don't understand the words you just used.

Sure thing - I'm in for a million. Its pretty east stuff actually. Which part of it did YOU not comprehend?

Back
Top Bottom