• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Fox & Friends claims marijuana gummies are ‘killing people - Fake News

Link?

You can OD on edibles, but you'll just be pretty miserable, not dead. Now if you tried to drive in that state... Thing is, you'd be on the floor wondering which way was up.

You take the edibles and then you jump off a balcony or drive a car and get into a fatal accident. Your pot brain only thinks in one dimension.

Misleading thread title and op

Actually,

Kids overdosed on green hornet gummies. Could have been fatal. The overriding message, per the sheriff, is why it is packaged for appeal to kids.
If we want pot legalized, we should question that, if nothing else.

OMG!!! It's Reefer Madness! Save us!

You take the edibles and then you jump off a balcony or drive a car and get into a fatal accident. Your pot brain only thinks in one dimension.

Damn straight. 347BC0C5-0ACB-42D1-BDB0-C15DB67AB0D5.jpg
That happens thousands of times every hour.
What ever will we do!
Save us, Underdog, save us!

So we agree, keep kids away from the stuff.

I mean that seems like the most common sense approach, which is the reason probably why so many kids get their hands on things they shouldn't, like marijuana gummies, guns, or even tide pods. All those parents lacking basic common sense.

I mean that seems like the most common sense approach, which is the reason probably why so many kids get their hands on things they shouldn't, like marijuana gummies, guns, or even tide pods. All those parents lacking basic common sense.

One reason why kids want to try pot is absurd and exaggerated claims made by adults in an effort to scare them off. Kids have a good nose for bull****.

If someone comes in with a pizza, I'm not going anywhere!

Do you have any direct experience with it, personal or other otherwise?

Pot doesn't tend to make you think you can do things you shouldn't do like booze does.

Many people have a lot invested in marijuana.

Our former house speaker, John Boener sits on the board of directors of a cannabis company now.

Looking back on my life, and the assorted 'adventures' I've undertaken, I feel it safe to say I could be considered somewhat of an expert on the topic. And I'm quite sure many of you can easily make the same claim. However, my professional career has progressed to the point where I find I must now pass a urine test for THC.And this is in Canuckland. :shock: So I'm in the middle of a 28 day cleansing, in order to pass this annoying little test. Now, my job comes with quite significant stress, which I've always been in the habit of relieving with a big fat "J" after knocking off for the day. I can tell you all, beyond any doubt, that there most definitely is a psychological dependence that develops.
Is it a "gate-way" drug? In many cases I believe it is. It certainly was for me as a young man.
Should it be packaged as gummies and other such things? Meh...part of me says no...part of me says why not.
Should it be illegal? No. Prohibition of Pot serves no good purpose at all, unless you own a jail.

I've had to do "the cleanse" to pass the test as well. I had to do the one where they actually chopped of a bunch of hair from my head. Weed is no more of a "gateway drug" than booze. As far as edibles lying around the house, that would never be a problem with me because edibles don't work for me. Should gummies be eliminated - again, so should tide pods be eliminated? Just because some parents are stupid and leave their tide pods, guns, or gummie weed out where their kids can get to them is not a good reason to outlaw any of the three, IMO.

It can be claimed pot can kill people in the following ways

1. Driving under the influence
2. Making stupid dangerous decisions
3. Altering blood pressure and pulse rate
4. If smoking it, any smoke inhalation is technically harmful.

In addition, this is generally discussed in terms of smoking pot, which is the weakness form of usage. Some of the "wax" is so potent that even the most pro-pot folks tend to warn first time users to exercise great caution. That doesn't mean killing a person by toxicity, but by having such a messed up head they hurt themselves.

The body does adjust to marijuana, meaning the more a person uses it the less it affects functions of the body such as heart rate and blood pressure, plus the person become more familiar with the effects mentally/emotionally so more have that under control. I suspect that over time it takes more for the same sensation.

The blood pressure/pulse rate problem is something you need to be aware of with strong, very sativa dominant strains. If you have heart problems, stick with the indica dominants or hybrids that don't cause that 'speed weed' effect.

Yes, inhaling any hot gas is not really advisable, but MJ doesn't cause the plethora of respiratory problems that tobacco does.

From the link:
It will be a few weeks before toxicology reports will be returned, but Goodman’s family and friends suspect that edible marijuana was a factor in the self-inflicted gunshot death.

That's 3 years old...
Got anything more recent that contains the toxicology info? Mere "Suspicions of family and friends" is enough to rate the headline Fake News. He shot himself. Weed didn't kill him. If I drink a beer and shoot myself did the beer kill me?

One reason why kids want to try pot is absurd and exaggerated claims made by adults in an effort to scare them off. Kids have a good nose for bull****.

DARE had the precise opposite intended effect, if I'm remembering correctly....

That is, while my fellow 6th graders didn't immediately run out to try to buy some drugs, they sure as hell saw the incoherent fear-mongering for what it was and ignored it (while also picking up a healthy dose of distrust of authority).

From the link:

That's 3 years old...
Got anything more recent that contains the toxicology info? Mere "Suspicions of family and friends" is enough to rate the headline Fake News. He shot himself. Weed didn't kill him. If I drink a beer and shoot myself did the beer kill me?

You apparently didn't read the bottom two. We're not waiting for those results. And, this article is several years old. It's not worth my time to research how it turned out. Hey, I don't dispute that alcohol kills way more than MJ does but to argue that people don't die because of MJ is rather stupid. As it becomes more and more legal, more people will die due to it.

That is, while my fellow 6th graders didn't immediately run out to try to buy some drugs, they sure as hell saw the incoherent fear-mongering for what it was and ignored it (while also picking up a healthy dose of distrust of authority).

...which is exactly the same effect the anti-drug movement in the 70's had.

So we agree, keep kids away from the stuff.

would you please point to the post in this thread - any thread actually - where a forum member was advocating allowing kids access to cannabis

the point being we all agree with keeping kids away from drugs. such banal musings do nothing to advance the debate at hand

would you please point to the post in this thread - any thread actually - where a forum member was advocating allowing kids access to cannabis

the point being we all agree with keeping kids away from drugs. such banal musings do nothing to advance the debate at hand

The statement made by the sheriff is what I am referring to. Musings, based on the article offered in the OP, is what I am contributing to the debate at hand.

The statement made by the sheriff is what I am referring to. Musings, based on the article offered in the OP, is what I am contributing to the debate at hand.

then we can all agree no one on these boards has advanced the position of making cannabis easy for kids to acquire. now, we have both stated the VERY obvious

The fried egg, brain on drugs commercial had a similar effect, I understand. Odd how nobody ever considers having a reasonable discussion with kids about drugs instead of lecturing at them. Of course I never had any discussions with my own kids either. What we did have was a family dinner every night where we talked about things that interested them. I don't recall pot coming up.

No. Did you read where I said it was a good thing? No, you didn't.

Back away from the bud, DC. It's making you see things that aren't there.

That's what the blog referenced... a story about a 12 year old handing out Marijuana laced gummy bears to his classmates. You seem to be quite upset that they depicted this as a bad thing. So what's the alternative? Is it OK? Or just, not a big deal?

That's what the blog referenced... a story about a 12 year old handing out Marijuana laced gummy bears to his classmates. You seem to be quite upset that they depicted this as a bad thing. So what's the alternative? Is it OK? Or just, not a big deal?

if the 'treat' had instead been mini-bottles of liquor would we then challenge the legality of alcohol continuing to be sold

Back
Top Bottom