• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

FOX and Republicans Aligned

Mach

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.apnews.com/20f240baf06742c79de711d7e8580eb9

Hannity appeared on the podium in a Missouri arena after being called to the stage by Trump. Another Fox News host, Jeanine Pirro, also appeared onstage with the president.
“By the way, all those people in the back are fake news,” Hannity told the audience.

It was an extraordinary scene after the news network had worked Monday to establish distance between Hannity and the campaign. Trump’s campaign had billed Hannity as a “special guest” at the rally, but Fox had said that wasn’t so. Hannity himself had tweeted: “To be clear, I will not be on stage campaigning with the president. I am covering final rally for the show.

But Trump called him to the stage after saying, “they’re very special, they’ve done an incredible job for us. They’ve been with us from the beginning.”

Question: Is this normal and healthy for our our nation?
If not, what can be done about it?

To me, this is as close to a root issue as we can legitimately go. (going further means looking at people's psychology, which I think is less appropriate).

Right wing media, of which Fox News is the biggest mainstream portion, is aligned entirely with being not just a propaganda mouthpiece for the right, it's also literally involved with messaging, coordination, and strategy. It is the media-arm, of the Republican party. Remember the seed of Fox News was started by Nixon with Roger Ailes at the dawn of the TV age, it's always been this way, and it's largely been perfected. Their lead anchor, most viewed, not even a journalist just an entertainer, takes center stage with the president...

I have watched Republicans shape the message of roughly 30-40% of the population since Obama took office, and they are successful at making them believe things contrary to reality, to dismiss facts for fiction of their own creation, mountains out of mole hills. Trump has just gone ahead and done it openly, and brazenly, no denying it now.

Fox news has the president of the United States almost daily, attacking all of their competition from the national stage. How is that allowable? Trump has Fox news, coordinating with and sometimes creating, the right-wing pro-Trump messaging needed to push their agenda, help steer the direction of national news, to distract, cover up, lie and otherwise direct their supporters opinions.

The House, the Senate, the Presidency, and Fox news and similar right wing aligned media outlets, all aligned with messaging and a false reality.

This worries me a lot more than just Trump. Mueller is on Trump, if there is something immediately dangerous to the U.S., I feel that will get resolved and cleaned up. Also, Trump is a rare bird, I think it's hard to find someone so charismatic and wealthy, such a celebrity, with zero ethics like Trump. But the undeniable full-on coordination of Fox (and others) with the Republican party, masquerading as news, attacking all other outlets from the bully-pulpit, I think this is a danger to the nation that isn't being discussed enough. Simply having other networks align with Democrats, is two wrongs...it won't make it right.

To me, this is as close to a root issue as we can legitimately go. (going further means looking at people's psychology, which I think is less appropriate).

Right wing media, of which Fox News is the biggest mainstream portion, is aligned entirely with being not just a propaganda mouthpiece for the right, it's also literally involved with messaging, coordination, and strategy. It is the media-arm, of the Republican party. Remember the seed of Fox News was started by Nixon with Roger Ailes at the dawn of the TV age, it's always been this way, and it's largely been perfected. Their lead anchor, most viewed, not even a journalist just an entertainer, takes center stage with the president...

I have watched Republicans shape the message of roughly 30-40% of the population since Obama took office, and they are successful at making them believe things contrary to reality, to dismiss facts for fiction of their own creation, mountains out of mole hills. Trump has just gone ahead and done it openly, and brazenly, no denying it now.

Fox news has the president of the United States almost daily, attacking all of their competition from the national stage. How is that allowable? Trump has Fox news, coordinating with and sometimes creating, the right-wing pro-Trump messaging needed to push their agenda, help steer the direction of national news, to distract, cover up, lie and otherwise direct their supporters opinions.

The House, the Senate, the Presidency, and Fox news and similar right wing aligned media outlets, all aligned with messaging and a false reality.

This worries me a lot more than just Trump. Mueller is on Trump, if there is something immediately dangerous to the U.S., I feel that will get resolved and cleaned up. Also, Trump is a rare bird, I think it's hard to find someone so charismatic and wealthy, such a celebrity, with zero ethics like Trump. But the undeniable full-on coordination of Fox (and others) with the Republican party, masquerading as news, attacking all other outlets from the bully-pulpit, I think this is a danger to the nation that isn't being discussed enough. Simply having other networks align with Democrats, is two wrongs...it won't make it right.

This has been going on for awhile:

1. Trump says something stupid
2. Media reports on it.
3. Fox News says fake news for media reporting on it.
4. Trump denies he said something stupid.
5. Fox News agrees and blames media for reporting false news
6. Trump calls media Fake News.

It's the Fox News feedback loop.

Fox News is conservative? Alert the media!! Oh, wait, what media do we alert?

Fox is Trump's state tv.

Fox News is conservative? Alert the media!! Oh, wait, what media do we alert?

Fox is the propaganda arm of the GOP and Trump.

This has been going on for awhile:
I mention it's been builidng/going on since the Nixon administration hired Roger Ailes as their media directory.

the question is, is this normal/healthy for the nation, or should it be busted up? Or constrained in some way? We bust up monopolies because consolidation of power is detrimental, for example.
There are also standards that can be set for News organizations that separate out the entertainers, no different than separating out fake medicine from real medicine, no different than separating out fake-science from real science in textbooks, etc.

I mention it's been builidng/going on since the Nixon administration hired Roger Ailes as their media directory.

the question is, is this normal/healthy for the nation, or should it be busted up? Or constrained in some way? We bust up monopolies because consolidation of power is detrimental, for example.
There are also standards that can be set for News organizations that separate out the entertainers, no different than separating out fake medicine from real medicine, no different than separating out fake-science from real science in textbooks, etc.

Not in this climate. Media mergers are all the rage. Fox News now being one of the smallest entities.

Not in this climate. Media mergers are all the rage. Fox News now being one of the smallest entities.

Separation of church and state.
Separate of News and state?

I don’t listen or read Fox News. Way too liberal.3 I will read. N.Y. post, Washington times, and WSJ.

Yea and the MSM is the mouthpiece of Dems and liberals. So what?

Yep that's the message Fox has been telling you for how many years now? You're a sheep and nothing else.

Yep that's the message Fox has been telling you for how many years now? You're a sheep and nothing else.

Oh, OK. Thanks for telling me.:lol: You can now return to the 24/7 MSM Trump hate-a-thon.

Yea and the MSM is the mouthpiece of Dems and liberals. So what?
Hannity has been unabashedly pro Trump since Trump announced. FOX leans right a bit but is full of never Trumpers. Some are coming around though.

"News" people like George Stephanopoulos moderating debates are more insidious. When you turn on Hannity you know what you are getting. I find him as unwatchable as Shepard Smith on the other end of the spectrum.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

political-cartoon-fox-news-slut.jpg

And what criteria did you base that off of?

When they advocated compromise in 2008. I used to watch them all the time. They even went so far as saying we needed to respect barry obama because he was our new king. Sorry. That train left the station when bill Clinton nailed our highest decorated girlscout.

I suspect we are stuck with it. Truly unfortunate that 24/7 Network News developed as an entity amongst the 500 odd channels now available to us. The truth is there isn't more news to cover. There is still just about the same news worthy of national coverage that there was when we got a couple of hours of national news every day. But now we have 24/7 News Networks that have to fill those other 22 hours with something. Worse, these networks have to make their entire rice bowl off a format that was always a loss leader for the full service networks. Nobody at ABC, NBC or CBS ever tried to make a dime off of news....lost millions of $ annually. But their news programing was considered a fair trade for their FCC licenses which demanded some public service.

So the 24/7's cycle through the same 2 hours of national news we always have had for another 12 hours splicing in journalistic content all the while because there STILL is not enough national news per day. That format covers 14 of the 24 hours. The SOMETHING that they use to fill the rest is opinion now turned in some cases to journalistic gibberish and wildassed nonsense not worthy of an Internet blog.

Posted something like this elsewhere. As to straight news reporting, generally during the day, both MSNBC and Fox have similar editorial standards. If MSNBC does not want to cover something, they just don't cover it. Fox will break to puppy dogs and kittens instead. Frankly the way Fox does it is funnier to watch because they pay some laughable lip service to something they don't want to cover and then break over to some "good news" story of puppy dogs and kittens or something not so pollyannaish but of utterly no national relevance. MSNBC flat will not cover what they don't want to cover. CNN the worst of the three in this particular regard IMO provides biased reporting. They will crop their video so that you don't see the real story just a few centimeters outside of the shot they provide you or edit their audio. Sometimes they do both...its pretty bad IMO.

When you get to those other 10 evening hours which are opinion and journalism of a sort, Fox is just way over the cliff edge...just nutso stuff... completely whacked out, utterly biased and pure propaganda and entertainment of a sort, actual rabble rousing. MSNBC and CNN feature much more sanity and balance. Those two are pretty similar and it boils down to which talking heads you like best. I have maybe two hours of that stuff that I will check on regularly. Three hour blocks at most between those talking head blocks are all I can take.

The real culprit is and was the onset of 24/7 Network News....doomed to the fate they have fallen to because there simply is not enough national and smatterings of international news Americans care about to fill the time while being forced into the same ratings battles that are the foundation for the business models of the full service Networks. Heck CNN's finest and only relevant hour was 24/7 coverage of the Iraq War and do you know what we all did with that? We sat in front of our TV's watching reporters mull around on the top floor of hotels in Bagdad waiting for something to happen, hour after hour after hour.

Its pretty sad. But I can't think of a way out other than stop watching.

Last edited:

Yep. If anyone was curious about what state media in the US looks like, they know now.

I watched about 2 hours of MSNBCs coverage Saturday night from 5-7...holy ****.

Please...ANYONE promoting the pretense of an unbiased media...just...stop.

I’ve never seen blind ignorance from the WSJ, ny post or Washington times. You show me just once where any have done so and i’ll Drop that one. A woman named Cohen in the Boston herald did an interesting one recently.

I watched about 2 hours of MSNBCs coverage Saturday night from 5-7...holy ****.

Please...ANYONE promoting the pretense of an unbiased media...just...stop.

I watch none of them on the weekends. I have yet to fathom what the heck any of the three are trying to accomplish on the weekend other than that they view weekend full service Network programming differently from weekday full service Networking programming and have made some judgements about what they have to do to compete for ratings on the weekend. All three are IMO unwatchable on the weekends. They either offer reruns of weekday shows or some semblance of gibberish that is just unwatchable.

I watch none of them on the weekends. I have yet to fathom what the heck any of the three are trying to accomplish on the weekend other than that they view weekend full service Network programming differently from weekday full service Networking programming and have made some judgements about what they have to do to compete for ratings on the weekend. All three are IMO unwatchable on the weekends. They either offer reruns of weekday shows or some semblance of gibberish that is just unwatchable.
Unfortunately I was at a venue with it playing where I didnt have access to the remote. I watched out of morbid curiosity. Disgusting.

I dont watch FoxNews. I know they are biased. Everyone knows they are biased. But its comical watching the people that shriek about Fox News as if every other media outlet on the planet isnt covered in rat stink.

Back
Top Bottom