• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Four years after Russia annexed Crimea, the peninsula remains in limbo

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Four years after Russia annexed Crimea, the peninsula remains in limbo

zavershilos-stroitelstvo-zagrazhdeniya-dlya-otdeleniya-kryma-ot-ukrainy.jpg

Russia's illegal fence on sovereign Ukrainian land. Moscow's new Berlin Wall.

1/28/19
While few countries and no major international organizations recognize Crimea as part of Russia, Ukraine has had to bow to the superior power of its neighbor, which last year completed a 37-mile fence topped with barbed wire and motion sensors that runs the length of the border. Almost five years after the annexation, the consequences of Russia’s land grab still reverberate in unsettling and often absurd ways. Ukrainians must pass through their own government’s checkpoint to enter Crimea, even though most of the world considers it to be Ukrainian territory. Russian President Vladimir Putin promised prosperity for Crimeans. The Kremlin has invested $5.3 billion in infrastructure projects, including roads, hospitals and schools. Pensions and wages for government budget workers have increased, as Putin promised. But prices for goods and services, including electricity and water, have increased along with them. “Those who were all ‘Hurrah! Hurrah!’ after the annexation have already quieted down,” said Alexei, a tour guide in the Black Sea resort of Yalta. Like many in Crimea, the 56-year-old didn’t want to use his last name out of fear of the local Russian security services. Under Ukraine, Crimea’s economy was stagnant, and many hoped that development would grow under Russia. But Western sanctions prohibit foreign investment in the peninsula’s aging tourism infrastructure and deter non-Russian travelers from coming to see the breathtaking views or swim in the clear blue waters of the Black Sea. This means the Russian government is the largest — if not the only — real investor in Crimea.

“Things have gotten worse, in my opinion,” Alexei said. “No one has any money in mainland Russia or here. So, the Russians come, but they don’t spend much money.” Foreign tourism has dropped significantly. “I haven’t spoken to a foreign tourist in about three years,” he said. Tourists who do find their way to Crimea struggle to pay for services: Only local banks can operate in Crimea, meaning getting cash from an ATM is limited to those who have an account. Russian annexation brought realities to Crimea that may have been overlooked by those who voted for it in March 2014. Russia has imposed the same restrictions on political freedom as elsewhere in Putin’s tightly controlled realm. The Kremlin’s security services keep a watchful eye on dissenters and regularly conduct home searches of those who openly criticize the Kremlin’s occupation. Russian authorities have persecuted pro-Ukraine activists, journalists and members of the Crimean Tatar community. Tens of thousands have fled the peninsula to avoid arrest or persecution. Sanctions prevent international airlines from operating out of Simferopol’s newly renovated airport. Flights go to and from Russia only. “Just to go to Istanbul, we have to fly two hours north through Moscow, and Turkey is really only just across the Black Sea,” said Oksana, 28, a translator in Sevastopol, who didn’t want her full name used out of fear of reprisal. Oksana said she had always dreamed of visiting America. But with a Crimean registration in her Russian passport, she doubted she would be given a tourist visa. “We’re supposed to be part of Russia, but Western embassies won’t give us visas with a Crimea address in our passports,” she said. “Living here,” Oksana said, “is like living in a parallel universe.”

The realities of living in Russia-occupied Crimea. A pattern is noticeable in the people above - they are all terrified of the Russian security services.

I like that fence. Too bad invaders to his country aren't terrified of our security forces.

I like that fence. Too bad invaders to his country aren't terrified of our security forces.

So you're terrified of poor hispanics seeing a better life, taking low paying jobs no self respecting American wants to do, unless it's entry level? Must be terrible to be you.

Sorry to hear you have to compete for that burger flipping job, garbage man, or picking crops in the fields.

So you're terrified of poor hispanics seeing a better life, taking low paying jobs no self respecting American wants to do, unless it's entry level? Must be terrible to be you.

Sorry to hear you have to compete for that burger flipping job, garbage man, or picking crops in the fields.

Right, cause there are just poor Hispanics coming across our southern border.

If you think that's all the jobs they seek to hold, you're a little out of touch there in fly-over country.

Another pointless anti Russian thread started based on an opinion which is held out as an absolute truth by the OP who clearly has a consuming hatred of Russia.

Should I start another thread about how Crimeans are so much better off now? We could all do it and rejoice in our echo chambers.

Another pointless anti Russian thread started based on an opinion which is held out as an absolute truth by the OP who clearly has a consuming hatred of Russia.

Should I start another thread about how Crimeans are so much better off now? We could all do it and rejoice in our echo chambers.

You cannot deny that the annexation of Crimea was illegal.

Well, you can.

But you would be wrong.

But, hey. Might makes right in your world.

Or working in hotels and motels.

Or working construction.

Or working landscaping.

Home improvement.

Plumbing

Etc.

Jobs that lead to higher levels of pay and careers are dominated in the border areas by Hispanics. Many of whom have no legal right to those jobs.

Nothing in the Unites States even remotely resembles the Russian security services.

I'm terrified of poor hispanics, seeking a better life, with no other alternative to make a living than to join MS-13 in the states, when they realize just how few employment opportunities there are, even for them. Gathering fruit in the US isn't exactly a sustainable business model.

I told you quite a while ago ... I'm going keep exposing the reality of the Putin regime to the membership and visitors here at DP every day.

I don't care one iota if you - a Putin apologist - doesn't like it.

I'm terrified of poor hispanics, seeking a better life, with no other alternative to make a living than to join MS-13 in the states, when they realize just how few employment opportunities there are, even for them. Gathering fruit in the US isn't exactly a sustainable business model.

Why don't you argue that position in the Latin America forum? Start a thread there. This is the Europe forum.

I told you quite a while ago ... I'm going keep exposing the reality of the Putin regime to the membership and visitors here at DP every day.

All for your hate of Trump? Damn!

Yeah, too bad America isn’t a totalitarian state with a brutal secret police with a long history of making people “disappear” and actively murdering dissidents. Damn that pesky constitution! :roll:

Do you people think before you post? Ever?

Yeah, too bad America isn’t a totalitarian state with a brutal secret police with a long history of making people “disappear” and actively murdering dissidents. Damn that pesky constitution! :roll:

Do you people think before you post? Ever?

Again, I didn't compare our forces with theirs. Only wished the ****ing third worlders had respect for our borders.

Again, I didn't compare our forces with theirs. Only wished the ****ing third worlders had respect for our borders.

You said “too bad invaders to this country aren’t terrified of our security forces”.

The reason why people are terrified of the KGB/FSB and GRU is because they are brutal and utterly ruthless. They give exactly zero ****s about human life or collateral damage; indeed, they have oceans of blood on their hands.

You can move to Russia if you want a secret police that badly; us Americans are going to have to take a pass on that one.

You're not exposing anything except your all consuming and irrational hatred of Russia.

You can move to Russia if you want a secret police that badly; us Americans are going to have to take a pass on that one.

All the Trumpers just love Putin and Russia, but unfortunately, none ever move there.

You're not exposing anything except your all consuming and irrational hatred of Russia.

Lol. This forum knows far more about Putin's Russia than it did four years ago :2bow:

They know what you are. That's why you don't get much traction here.

Lol. This forum knows far more about Putin's Russia than it did four years ago :2bow:

They know what you are. That's why you don't get much traction here.

That's ironic coming from someone who vies with Litwin for the title of 'most pointless threads started with no responses'.

There is such a thing as quality over quantity. You don't score very highly on that either.

If you think that littering the Europe forum with a lot of nonsense about Russia is teaching anyone what you want them to think, then that's up to you. But I think sensible people can see what you're trying to do.

If you think that littering the Europe forum with a lot of nonsense about Russia is teaching anyone what you want them to think, then that's up to you. But I think sensible people can see what you're trying to do.

Yes. Uncounted members and visitors are now far more educated about the God awful Putin regime. You get little traction here Vladimir.

Everyone can easily discern that your a Moscow mouthpiece who borrowed a Westernized username for stealth.

That you are too embarrassed to put Russia as your location speaks volumes.

first sorry for off topic, but it would be hard for me not leaving a response

I think they would be fine with that, if we (Europe is not better in any way here) leave them alone including their ressources - no gold, no diamonds, no oil, no gas, no tropic woods, no cheap palm oil, no noble earths for our cellphones...

edit:
Only wished the ****ing third worlders had respect for our borders.

okay, I lose my good manners on purpose now because I´m curious: does an ashole of your size have any frinds ?

Last edited:

I think they would be fine with that, if we (Europe is not better in any way here) leave them alone including their ressources - no gold, no diamonds, no oil, no gas, no tropic woods, no cheap palm oil, no noble earths for our cellphones...

The US dumps billions into most of those countries. People who live in those countries need to take responsibility for what happens to that aide. Moving here to stress out our resources is not the answer.

If you have a problem with international corporations working in those countries, blame globalism.

The US dumps billions into most of those countries. People who live in those countries need to take responsibility for what happens to that aide. Moving here to stress out our resources is not the answer.

leave your numbers on bankaccounts on your own computer and also leave their stuff in their own countries - than we´ll see who will do better on the long run

edit:

okay, I lose my good manners on purpose now because I´m curious: does an ashole of your size have any frinds ?

Look at what unfettered immigration has done to your country and get back to me.

Back
Top Bottom