• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Four women convicted after leaving food and water in desert for migrants

CEngelbrecht

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Four women convicted after leaving food and water in desert for migrants | Indy 100

Four women who tried to help migrants by leaving food and water in the Arizona desert have been found guilty of entering a national wildlife refuge without a permit.
The four women were volunteers at No More Deaths, a group that seeks to end the deaths of undocumented immigrants crossing the desert near the Mexican/US border. The Arizona-Mexico border specifically is known for the number of human remains recovered there each year.
Another volunteer with No More Deaths, Catherine Gaffney, criticised the ruling, saying:
"If giving water to someone dying of thirst is illegal, what humanity is left in the law of this country?"

desertfinal.jpg

This is the underground railroad all over again. Somebody's bleeding green.

It would be great if just 1 billion of that demand for the wall could go to identification and punishment of employers hiring illegals.

I keep seeing the illegals described as 'invaders.' If so, then why arent we focusing on employers for treason? Or at least aiding and abetting? Or accomplices?

It would be great if just 1 billion of that demand for the wall could go to identification and punishment of employers hiring illegals.

I keep seeing the illegals described as 'invaders.' If so, then why arent we focusing on employers for treason? Or at least aiding and abetting? Or accomplices?

Because America is a deeply broken and corrupt nation.

Another volunteer with No More Deaths, Catherine Gaffney, criticised the ruling, saying:
"If giving water to someone dying of thirst is illegal, what humanity is left in the law of this country?"

For most of my life, I've known that Americans as a group have fallen so hard for their self-mythologizing that they generally don't bother asking that question. They have gotten far too comfortable in themselves.

One of many examples, the notion of how wonderfully open and free our country is because of our constitution. Take a closer and honest look at the way the criminal court system works, and you see that the constitution is only worth as much as the amount of money either you have or the state will allocate to your defense. Even then, an appellate court can always defeat your argument by lying about a key fact at trial or lying about the argument made. Hell, I saw one colleague's case where the win-or-lose difference came down to whether the claim was made under 5th Amd right to counsel or the 6th Amd.

The brief literally said at the outset of the argument that it is crucial to understand that the argument is made explicitly and only under the 6th Amd. right. The Court's opinion addressed that argument by saying in its decision "it is important to note the defendant's claim is based on the 5th Amd. right to counsel". They straight-up lied, refused to correct it, and the poor black man had to eat it.

Well, ok, beyond our self-mythologizing, we've also gotten ridiculously selfish as a group. As long as we've got ours, everyone else can go **** themselves with freedoms. People find it a lot easier to simply assume that cops are purely good except the ones who accidentally film themselves being bad, therefore assume that every criminal defendant is guilty despite paying homage to "the constitution", and wanting to provide the absolute minimum for public defense. Just one of many many examples of the studied inhumanity of law in America.

Because "job creators" are also members, in good standing, of the campaign contribution club.

We all know why that is. Trump and his buddies hire them, and pay a fee to both political parties to maintain access to the hiring pool.

Along with santuary cities and states.

Incouraging, aiding and abetting a crime is illegal.

Odd you don't see it that way when Individual-1 is doing the aiding and abetting.

They can't jail a fellow country club member, what's the matter with you?

For most of my life, I've known that Americans as a group have fallen so hard for their self-mythologizing that they generally don't bother asking that question. They have gotten far too comfortable in themselves.

One of many examples, the notion of how wonderfully open and free our country is because of our constitution. Take a closer and honest look at the way the criminal court system works, and you see that the constitution is only worth as much as the amount of money either you have or the state will allocate to your defense. Even then, an appellate court can always defeat your argument by lying about a key fact at trial or lying about the argument made. Hell, I saw one colleague's case where the win-or-lose difference came down to whether the claim was made under 5th Amd right to counsel or the 6th Amd.

The brief literally said at the outset of the argument that it is crucial to understand that the argument is made explicitly and only under the 6th Amd. right. The Court's opinion addressed that argument by saying in its decision "it is important to note the defendant's claim is based on the 5th Amd. right to counsel". They straight-up lied, refused to correct it, and the poor black man had to eat it.

Well, ok, beyond our self-mythologizing, we've also gotten ridiculously selfish as a group. As long as we've got ours, everyone else can go **** themselves with freedoms. People find it a lot easier to simply assume that cops are purely good except the ones who accidentally film themselves being bad, therefore assume that every criminal defendant is guilty despite paying homage to "the constitution", and wanting to provide the absolute minimum for public defense. Just one of many many examples of the studied inhumanity of law in America.

What's wrong with taking my off-road vehicle through a National Wildlife Preserve without a permit so long as I leave a gallon of water behind that someone might find in a few months/years? :lol:

We all know why that is. Trump and his buddies hire them, and pay a fee to both political parties to maintain access to the hiring pool.

Let's not forget that, for the most part, they contribute to accelerating favorable demographic changes and their US born offspring are instant US citizens.

You don't believe in hell, do you?

You can't hope to get much more "diversity" than by simply letting whoever elects to enter the US illegally, or overstay a temporary visa, remain in the US unfettered. If 12M (to 20M?) "undocumented" immigrants are good (they are said to commit less crime than the native born) then 24M (to 40M?) would be even better. BTW, if physical barriers on the border are immoral then why not demand "Mr. Trump, tear down those walls!"? This entire clown show has gotten completely out of control.

Incouraging, aiding and abetting a crime is illegal.

No doubt you would have righteously taken the water from the thirsty migrants rather than allow crime to flourish. And of course, complained about the person who gave the crucified Jesus something to drink.

Somehow I think Jesus would have approved of the water-leaver’s actions. Moses and Muhammad as well.

The sanctuaries are illegal.

So is hiring illegals immigrates, but conservatives seem to be afraid to address that issue. No jobs no need to come here. How many are really coming because of "sanctuary cities"?

There’s precedent for this. Years ago in Colorado after some brutal winter storms, volunteers dropped bales of hay or whatever from choppers to elk facing death in the mountains. Amazingly, they were praised for helping four-legged migrants. (Of course their plan was to come back the next fall and shoot at the elk.)

Back
Top Bottom