• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Four U.S. Commandos Charged in Strangling of Army Green Beret in Africa

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/us/politics/green-beret-navy-seals-mali-melgar.html

WASHINGTON — Two members of the Navy’s elite SEAL Team 6 and two Marine Corps Special Operations troops have been charged in the strangling of an Army Green Beret last year in Mali, a highly unusual fratricidal killing that cast a spotlight on little-known military missions in Africa.

The two Navy commandos and the two Marine Raiders face charges that include murder, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, burglary, involuntary manslaughter and lying to investigators in the June 2017 death of the Green Beret, Staff Sgt. Logan J. Melgar, 34, a veteran of two tours in Afghanistan.
===============================================
Several violent deaths last year were said to be under 'mysterious circumstances'. The use of duct tape to restrain the victim, who was then choked to death, rules out an accident.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/us/politics/green-beret-navy-seals-mali-melgar.html

WASHINGTON — Two members of the Navy’s elite SEAL Team 6 and two Marine Corps Special Operations troops have been charged in the strangling of an Army Green Beret last year in Mali, a highly unusual fratricidal killing that cast a spotlight on little-known military missions in Africa.

The two Navy commandos and the two Marine Raiders face charges that include murder, conspiracy, obstruction of justice, burglary, involuntary manslaughter and lying to investigators in the June 2017 death of the Green Beret, Staff Sgt. Logan J. Melgar, 34, a veteran of two tours in Afghanistan.
===============================================
Several violent deaths last year were said to be under 'mysterious circumstances'. The use of duct tape to restrain the victim, who was then choked to death, rules out an accident.

Try them, and if they are guilty, let them be executed.

There are definitely details to this story that we are not privy to. One SpecOp guy snapping and doing this? Sure. But 4?! There is a serious motive to this that we may never know.

There are definitely details to this story that we are not privy to. One SpecOp guy snapping and doing this? Sure. But 4?! There is a serious motive to this that we may never know.

Yea, I read about this. Makes no sense. The original version is they were horsing around and some how he choked to death. You have to be kidding.

God let this not be yet another "The decline of America's military" story....

Try them, and if they are guilty, let them be executed.

More to it than is being reported in the story.
They, two Seals and two Marines, drove to the headquarters of the Marine Raiders then went to the barracks the Navy Seals shared with the Army Green Berets and killed one of them. There's something strange ggoing on.

Yea, I read about this. Makes no sense. The original version is they were horsing around and some how he choked to death. You have to be kidding.

Yeah, not buying it. I will say that while I think there is some secret motive, I also don’t think it was planned. I am fairly certain that if it had been planned they would have covered their tracks better.

They are investigating the murder. Here's some more details from NBC news;-

"The suspects are accused of driving to Marine quarters to obtain duct tape, breaking into Melgar's room while he was sleeping, restraining him with the duct tape, and strangling him in a chokehold. The four U.S. service members, which include two members of the famed SEAL Team Six, killed Melgar "while perpetrating a burglary," according to their charge sheets."

And if the four US service members are white , well here is a photo of Sgt Melgar and Tony DeDolph - one of the alleged murderers. anthony-dedolph-alleged murderer of logan melgar.jpgCould be a hate crime. SGT LOGAN J MELGAR - GREEN BERET MURDERED BY US MARINES.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, not buying it. I will say that while I think there is some secret motive, I also don’t think it was planned. I am fairly certain that if it had been planned they would have covered their tracks better.

Good point. You'd they would have.

I wonder if alcohol was involved and if it were inter branch competitiveness that got it started.

Earlier this year I understood it as being about a cover-up. February 7 2018:

A CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION into the death of Army Staff Sgt. Logan Melgar, who was killed last June while deployed in Bamako, Mali, has prompted a broad internal military audit and investigation into SEAL Team 6, according to a military official and two others briefed on the case.

Investigators suspect the two SEALs being investigated in the Melgar case were stealing cash from operational funds used for informants and other contingencies while deployed. The new investigation aims to determine whether such thefts are a routine practice among the members of the elite counterterrorism unit, according to the military official and two other people familiar with the financial investigation.

My understanding was that Melgar discovered it and that they believed that he was going to blow the whistle.

More to it than is being reported in the story.
They, two Seals and two Marines, drove to the headquarters of the Marine Raiders then went to the barracks the Navy Seals shared with the Army Green Berets and killed one of them. There's something strange ggoing on.

Most definitely. But if they indeed colluded and murdered their comrade-in-arms, they are the ultimate disgrace both to their regiments, their families and their country.

Back
Top Bottom