• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Founder of Proud Boys sues over being labeled hate group

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

83ca1cfa4cd641f09d70335dbe01381b

Proud Boys members wearing their uniform - a black Fred Perry polo shirt with gold piping.

2/4/19
The men-only Proud Boys group describes itself as a fraternal club of “Western chauvinists” who are “anti-racism,” while the law center describes the organization as misogynistic, anti-Muslim bigots. Founder Gavin McInnes is seeking unspecified damages and asking the court to declare the hate group designation as unlawful, saying the law center has made a series of false and malicious statements about him. The law center called the suit meritless and promoted its web-page outlining why it considers the Proud Boys a hate group. The suit was filed in U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Alabama, the jurisdiction for the law center’s Montgomery headquarters. The lawsuit acknowledged the Southern Poverty Law Center’s historic role in promoting civil rights but said it now resorts to name-calling and raising false alarms in order to raise funds. “They have harassed me, my family, and my friends to a level of tortuous interference that goes well into sabotage,” McInnes said in a statement. “I am doing this, not just to protect my reputation and my family but to protect everyone else’s.”

The suit claims the law center influenced the decision by conservative media outlet Blaze TV to fire McInnes in December and that McInnes, the co-founder of Vice Media, was banned from YouTube and his podcasts banned from iTunes in part because of the law center. “Judge us by the enemies we’ve made,” law center President Richard Cohen said, paraphrasing former U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt. “Gavin McInnes has a history of making inflammatory statements about Muslims, women, and the transgender community. The fact that he’s upset with SPLC tells us that we’re doing our job exposing hate and extremism. His case is meritless.” The law center says on its website that Proud Boys disavowals of bigotry are “belied by their actions,” accusing Proud Boys of promoting white nationalist memes and appearing alongside other SPLC-designated hate groups at right-wing rallies. The law center’s website also quotes McInnes making a series of racist statements. The lawsuit claims the quotes are old or no longer relevant.

Wikipedia describes them as a far-right neo-fascist organization that promotes white nationalism, violence, and anti-Muslim themes. The Proud Boys regularly attend white supremacy and pro-Confederate rally's in the US and are affiliated with white supremacist Richard Spencer. The group attempted to re-brand itself after the deadly 2017 "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. McInnes and the Proud Boys organization have been banned by Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, and YouTube.

Related: Proud Boys Founder Sues SPLC Over Hate Group Label

Proud Boys members wearing their uniform - a black Fred Perry polo shirt with gold piping.

Wikipedia describes them as a far-right neo-fascist organization that promotes white nationalism, violence, and anti-Muslim themes. The Proud Boys regularly attend white supremacy and pro-Confederate rally's in the US and are affiliated with white supremacist Richard Spencer. The group attempted to re-brand itself after the deadly 2017 "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. McInnes and the Proud Boys organization have been banned by Facebook, Instagram, iTunes, and YouTube.

FBI: Hate crimes in U.S., CA surge in first year of Trump’s presidency

It rots from the head, a hateful president gives a green light to his hateful followers. Unless you don't believe our FBI...

They're delusional. They are a hate group.

They're not a hate group. They are proud American men -- and who said anything about being white??? Many of them are racially mixed, AS WE ALL ARE.

I think it's disgusting that a white man can't be proud that he's a white man anymore. DISGUSTING. This coming from a native american female. I've had it with this crap.

sorry, "proud boys." you're a hate group.

I think it's disgusting that a white man can't be proud that he's a white man anymore.

Pride has nothing to do with physical attributes you were born with. Pride has to do with accomplishments and perseverance.

OM

They're not a hate group. They are proud American men -- and who said anything about being white??? Many of them are racially mixed, AS WE ALL ARE.

I think it's disgusting that a white man can't be proud that he's a white man anymore. DISGUSTING. This coming from a native american female. I've had it with this crap.

You've had it, huh? LOL.

Who says a "white man" can't be "proud that he's white"? Please, give some examples....or spare us all the fake victimhood stuff.

What a stupid argument....even from a Native American female.

So glad to see a conservative finally understand the southern strategy. You don't have to say anything about "white men" in order to push for an ethno-state for men of less color than those people over there.

What are their opinions on Native Americans?

How are they a hate group?

It’s funny that the first part of this post is in disagreement with the second part of this post.

How are they a hate group?

Hint: If your motto, as an organization is "anit-white guilt"....you're probably as hate group.

Hint: If your members are known to affiliate with other white nationalist and white supremacist groups....you're probabaly a hate group.

Hint: If your members worked directly with members from other white nationalist/supremacist groups to organize and promote the now-infamous "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville....you're probably a hate group.

The only thing more pathetic than the cowardice of these alt-right morons is their collective "white victimhood" agenda.

Hint: If your motto, as an organization is "anit-white guilt"....you're probably as hate group.
Why?

Hint: If your members are known to affiliate with other white nationalist and white supremacist groups....you're probabaly a hate group.
Maybe

Hint: If your members worked directly with members from other white nationalist/supremacist groups to organize and promote the now-infamous "Unite the Right" rally in Charlottesville....you're probably a hate group.
Maybe and maybe not.

The only thing more pathetic than the cowardice of these alt-right morons is their collective "white victimhood" agenda.
Why is everyone but white men allowed and encouraged to unite and claim victimhood?

Bunch of wayward young men with very little to nothing in the way of personal accomplishments to be proud of. So instead they're trying to fill that gap with faux pride over something they have no control over.

They're a hate group to their core. They won't have to worry about being embarrassed during any discovery; this will likely be tossed out on its ass before that ever coup happen.

Why do you support white supremacists?

A bunch of racist incels. Yes, they are a hate group.

My nephew had to cover them for a documentary, they are a scary group.

Proud Boys group describes itself as a fraternal club of “Western chauvinists” who are “anti-racism,” while the law center describes the organization as misogynistic, anti-Muslim bigots.

They sound so nice.

...Why is everyone but white men allowed and encouraged to unite and claim victimhood?

Your claim of 'victimhood' is only the conservative term for the discrimination men and women of minority groups have faced by the hands of conservatives.

White males don't need much uniting as they're mostly a homogenous group who've historically been the ones making women and people of color, their victims...

****ing Nazis trying to claim it ain't about hate, lol.

Your claim of 'victimhood' is only the conservative term for the discrimination men and women of minority groups have faced by the hands of conservatives.

White males don't need much uniting as they're mostly a homogenous group who've historically been the ones making women and people of color, their victims...

I see, so white men are the victimizers simply due to the color of their skin, even though the vast majority have not victimized anyone.

Wow...."WIKI" says so, huh? :roll:

At least the original Nazis owned it, same with the KKK. These wussies won't even come out and say it because they know they'll get their asses kicked.

I see, so white men are the victimizers simply due to the color of their skin, even though the vast majority have not victimized anyone.

Don't put words in my mouth.

I don't think white men are victimizers due to the color of their skin, it probably has more to do with their feelings of superiority.

Just because a majority of whites are not victimizers, doesn't mean that the majority of victimizers aren't white...

Back
Top Bottom