• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Forum quote system

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I miss the old quote system that used more BBC brackets and less JavaScript. :(

The latest system is fancy and looks cool, but it seems to have an attitude if I try to do anything more than just the absolute basics. In particular, it seems to hate cut/paste. Sometimes I can cut/paste a quote and it works, but most of the time it just pastes the text, not a formatted quote. I don't know how to nest quotes or quote multiple members in the same post without using cut/paste, so I just stopped trying. Same thing if I want to rearrange a lot of stuff. If I try to move quotes around like I would plain text I almost always end up with a mess that needs to be started over from scratch.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a set of buttons or commands that we're supposed to be using instead of cut/paste, for things like moving, merging, nesting, quoting multiple members in a single post, etc? Is there any way to still use the old BBC tags?

Good question. I too have struggled with the quotes...sometimes I backspace and it deletes the quote originator and replaces it with one from the quote below it...have to be on your toes not to misquote!

The latest system is fancy and looks cool, but it seems to have an attitude if I try to do anything more than just the absolute basics. In particular, it seems to hate cut/paste. Sometimes I can cut/paste a quote and it works, but most of the time it just pastes the text, not a formatted quote. I don't know how to nest quotes or quote multiple members in the same post without using cut/paste, so I just stopped trying. Same thing if I want to rearrange a lot of stuff. If I try to move quotes around like I would plain text I almost always end up with a mess that needs to be started over from scratch.

Am I doing it wrong? Is there a set of buttons or commands that we're supposed to be using instead of cut/paste, for things like moving, merging, nesting, quoting multiple members in a single post, etc? Is there any way to still use the old BBC tags?

See the two brackets near the top right of each post window - the [ ] - you can toggle the code.

See the two brackets near the top right of each post window - the [ ] - you can toggle the code.
I have no idea what "toggle the code" means but out of curiosity I clicked on it and it activates the tool bar which has been greyed out to me forever! You are indeed the man...!

I have no idea what "toggle the code" means but out of curiosity I clicked on it and it activates the tool bar which has been greyed out to me forever! You are indeed the man...!

When I activate BB code by hitting the toggle icon the tool bar grays out, and vice versa.

I also have not figured out the multi quotes.

I also have not figured out the multi quotes.
Yeah, they're pretty kludgey too.

Pick the posts first you'd like to quote by hitting the +Quote button on the bottom right of the post. You can pick as many as you'd like.
Then go to the post to which you want to reply and click on the "Reply" button.

You'll see these two buttons in the lower left:
1647921600938.png
Click on the "Insert Quotes" button and the quotes you've selected will show in a popup whereupon you can click on them and add them to your reply.

At that point, you can toggle the [] brackets and move the quotes around as you please. Then just click the [] again to get back to normal view.

Voila! Kludginess refined. :)

What's weird with them is that they'll stay in queue until you actually quote them. So you could post a bunch of replies before actually inserting the quotes you selected. But once inserted, you're done.

Yeah, they're pretty kludgey too.

Pick the posts first you'd like to quote by hitting the +Quote button on the bottom right of the post. You can pick as many as you'd like.
Then go to the post to which you want to reply and click on the "Reply" button.

You'll see these two buttons in the lower left:
View attachment 67381372
Click on the "Insert Quotes" button and the quotes you've selected will show in a popup whereupon you can click on them and add them to your reply.

At that point, you can toggle the [] brackets and move the quotes around as you please. Then just click the [] again to get back to normal view.

Voila! Kludginess refined. :)

What's weird with them is that they'll stay in queue until you actually quote them. So you could post a bunch of replies before actually inserting the quotes you selected. But once inserted, you're done.
Thank you for the info

Thanks fr8m me too. I have another problem, operator error no doubt. If you change your mind and don't want to post with a quote, how do you get rid of the box. I can delete the text but not the box. Evidently it results in an alert to the person you had intended to quote. Hope I am making sense.

And I just wanted to note that I get a lot of similar editing errors if I'm on reddit, whether Firefox or Chrome. You hit the wrong key or combo and suddenly you can't delete. Things go screwy in quotes, etc. I'd have to catalogue them as they occur, but it's a common enough experience that when I realize I might want to post a more involved thing here, I write in Word. I've lost too many damn posts to software/Firefox/clumsiness.

Thanks fr8m me too. I have another problem, operator error no doubt. If you change your mind and don't want to post with a quote, how do you get rid of the box. I can delete the text but not the box. Evidently it results in an alert to the person you had intended to quote. Hope I am making sense.

On a PC you can 'select all' (ctrl+A) while in the comment/edit box and delete. On a phone I often have to backspace to delete. If you can get to the '[ ]' icon, you can see the hidden code and delete.

If you replied to someone as I'm doing here to you, but then tried to delete their post by back-spacing through it or highlighting their text and then back-spacing and you end up with something like this:
Then no, you didn't delete properly.

Understand what's going on behind the scenes. This is what this post to you looks like thus far - in BBCode:

1647990490006.png
BB Code turns text into a quote simply by wrapping the quote with the words (they have to be in brackets) "QUOTE" and "/QUOTE" (i.e. "quote," "end quote")

One way to delete a person's quote entirely is to highlight all the way through the post to space (or even text) above it. If that doesn't work - the other, most sure way is to simply switch to the code editor view in your post. You do that by clicking on the "[]" in the upper right hand of the post window:

1647990895738.png

"Toggling the Code" is simply clicking or re-clicking on this symbol. Click once and you're in the code editor - and you will know you are when you see the words "QUOTE" and "/QUOTE" in brackets in the text. Click again and you'll return to normal edit mode.

Best way to learn it is to just dive in and try it out. Make mistakes - we all do - but learn from them :)

I appreciate the help very much. I never noticed the [] before but had solved two of my problems. Having the tool bar greyed out and totally deleting a quote including the posters name. Happily, every day is learning day!!!!

You can turn anything into a quote you like simply by wrapping the text you want to quote with the "QUOTE" and "/Quote" words (they're not case sensitive, btw)

For instance - if I wanted to turn "Hello World!" into a quote, I'd simply type this (and you don't even need to be in the editor mode to do it):

1647991401462.png
and this is how it'd display:

Hello World!

You could make the text bold by wrapping it with "B" and "/B" (inclusive of the brackets)

There's lots you can do - just piddle with it and don't worry about making mistakes. Experiment and see what happens. :)

Attachments

• 1647991340597.png
    1647991340597.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
I appreciate the help very much. I never noticed the [] before but had solved two of my problems. Having the tool bar greyed out and totally deleting a quote including the posters name. Happily, every day is learning day!!!!
You'll be a "power user" in no time - and very very dangerous when you do, ha! :) :)

Theres also the +quote feature that adds multiple quotes but it doesnt seem to handle a nested quote

Back
Top Bottom