• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Forum idea to streamline thread browsing

Binary_Digit

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Hello! I have an idea that I think would make browsing the forums easier. Maybe there's already a solution to this, if so I apologize ahead of time. :)

The way it is now, when a topic gets to be more than 3 pages long, the links are displayed like this:

(1 2 3 ... Last Page)

The problem is, quite often I need to pick up the conversation two or three pages from the end, because there has been so many posts in the few hours since I last visited the forum. The Last Page link rarely takes me to the actual page I need, but I click it anyway because it's the fastest way to a link for (Last Page - n), n being however many pages of posts I need to refer back to get caught up.

The other problem is, if there are more than 3 pages, there is really no need for links to page 2 and 3. People who are new to a conversation will (ideally) start at page 1, not 2 or 3. And people who've been posting since page 1 don't really need links to page 2 and 3 when there are 9 pages of posts and they've already read page 2 and 3. More typically in a 9 page post, people who are active in the topic would want links to page 7 8 and 9 instead.

So my recommendation is to make the links more like this:

(First Page ... x y z)

Where x y z are whatever the last 3 pages are. Is it possible to do that? Is there a different way to quickly get to (Last Page - n) so it's easier to continue reading the debate from where we left off? Thanks!

Last edited:
vauge said:
Click on
firstnew.gif
in the thead display to read the first unread post in a thread. :)

It is in the top left hand corner of every thread display - or it is also available on the forum display before the name of the thread if you have posted in it.
Whoops! :3oops:

Back
Top Bottom