• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Forsake The Troops

I'm anti-war all the way, and I found the retarded little blurb about "Punk Soldiers" to be quite grotesque.

What an ungrateful douche. Ironic that his name is Michael Crook. "Yet another dumbass soldier, by the name of Kurt Schamberg, from Fort Dum-Dum, which is an hour from FTT Headquarters, got blown to bits on Thursday, because he was stupid!" Sheesh, why doesn't he just burn the flag or something?

He is a bit crazy, but he does have a point with off-base housing. I actually hadn't thought of that before. There is housing on-base that is subsidized, why can't they live there?

ShamMol said:
He is a bit crazy, but he does have a point with off-base housing. I actually hadn't thought of that before. There is housing on-base that is subsidized, why can't they live there?

Wives and kids need a little privacy. They ca not all sleep on those little bunkbeds with 50 other guys.

Wow, this is a guy who I hope wakes up tomorrow with an aQ member staring him in the face and see what he thinks about our troops who are fighting terrorists.

I am against the war, I think the war is stupid, forsaking our troops is the worst thing possible.

I'll take this moment to unleash one of my newly created sig trios, Support our Troops;

eagle3fg.jpg

akyron said:
Wives and kids need a little privacy. They ca not all sleep on those little bunkbeds with 50 other guys.
Hmm....I was under the impression that there actually was family housing on base in the form of condos. If this isn't the case, then he doesn't have a point. But let me reiterate that I think he is crazy, just brought up an interesting point.

Edit: Yeah, I just looked it up, there is family housing (usually a two room or three room condo), but sometimes there is a wait. Then my suggestion would be to stop financing off-base housing and revitalize the current housing (which apparently is not all that great) and build new housing waning off of paying for outside housing.

Trust me, I support our troops, but I think that this makes sense.

Last edited:
ShamMol said:
Hmm....I was under the impression that there actually was family housing on base in the form of condos. If this isn't the case, then he doesn't have a point. But let me reiterate that I think he is crazy, just brought up an interesting point.

Edit: Yeah, I just looked it up, there is family housing (usually a two room or three room condo), but sometimes there is a wait. Then my suggestion would be to stop financing off-base housing and revitalize the current housing (which apparently is not all that great) and build new housing waning off of paying for outside housing.

Trust me, I support our troops, but I think that this makes sense.
I know when I was in the Navy (83-87) there was an extreme lack of housing on base. The housing available on base was very nice and free. If you couldn’t get into the on base housing then they’d give you some increase in pay to help you afford off base housing. Keep in mind this only applies to married sailors. Unmarried sailors were provided with living quarters on base (dorms) or on board ship (berthing), they could live off base but were given no pay increase to cover the cost. The amount given to married sailors was not enough to cover the cost of the housing. If I remember correctly I received somewhere around $350.00 a month for housing cost. I was stationed in San Diego at that time rent was going for about $500.00 for a basically crappy one bedroom apartment. Plus you had to pay for electric, phone, etc... If you lived on base those were all covered and free. You did have to pay for long distance phone calls but local calls were free. Basically living on base was a much better deal. Not only did you get a nice large home or duplex but it was clean and the crime rate was zero. The only guys I knew who weren’t interested in on base housing were guys involved in illegal activities such as drug use. I was on the wait list my entire hitch, never lived on base.

With the costs of building housing and the cost of real estate in most areas make it cheaper for the Navy to just pay part of the off base costs. I think you’d find that building and suppling all military members with on base housing would be cost prohibitive.

I remember we stayed with another family for about a month until we were at the top of the waiting list.

My dad stayed in a BOQ--Bachelor Officers' Quarters--for a good while as well.

Nowadays, the Marine Corps (the Navy, really) base housing look quite contemporary. I know at Camp Pendleton, there is renovation going on.

This guy is ridiculous and ungrateful. I agree with Arch Enemy's post about an aQ member standing over him when he wakes up.....

The quality and number of base housing has been improved greatly over the last few years. Some bases still do have a waiting list however. The size of house you are entitled to is based on the number of people in your family. Even if a four bedroom house available a family of four (husband, wife and two kids) would not be given this house and would be put on a waiting list for a three bedroom. Makes sense to me. Also when you are in base housing you do not have to pay for electricity, water, sewer, or garbage removal.

To offset the cost of off base commercial housing, service members get an extra pay called Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). The amount is based on where you live and your pay grade. I get $1049 a month for the area I live in. Not bad considering my mortgage is $811. I have a friend who transfers to San Diego later this year and he was receive right around $2000 a month. BAH is based on the cost of living and local economy (housing market) in the area where you are stationed. This rate is evaluated every year and raises are given appropriately.

ANAV said:
The quality and number of base housing has been improved greatly over the last few years. Some bases still do have a waiting list however. The size of house you are entitled to is based on the number of people in your family. Even if a four bedroom house available a family of four (husband, wife and two kids) would not be given this house and would be put on a waiting list for a three bedroom. Makes sense to me. Also when you are in base housing you do not have to pay for electricity, water, sewer, or garbage removal.

To offset the cost of off base commercial housing, service members get an extra pay called Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). The amount is based on where you live and your pay grade. I get $1049 a month for the area I live in. Not bad considering my mortgage is $811. I have a friend who transfers to San Diego later this year and he was receive right around $2000 a month. BAH is based on the cost of living and local economy (housing market) in the area where you are stationed. This rate is evaluated every year and raises are given appropriately.

Welcome to debate politics!

Are you enlisted or an officer?

If your enlisted then I’d say they’ve made some improvements since I was in. When I got out in ’87, the amount I was getting would not have paid any mortgages. I looked in a file I keep. In with my DD-214 and a bunch of other documents, were my LES (leave and earnings statements.) I was an E-5 when I left and I was making 1289.00 a month and getting 376.00 BAQ (Basic Allowance for Quarters.) There’s no way that covered even rent on an apartment.

If they’re now giving service members enough to actually pay for housing I think that’s a good thing. I remember when I was talking to the recruiter. He made it very clear that my wife and I would have all our housing costs covered, plus medical ins. and several other “perks.” Once I enlisted, got out of boot camp and out to the “Fleet” I found out that was complete BS. Part of our housing costs was covered and the medical services were so bad she wouldn’t use them. We paid for her to see a civilian doctor. She went to the Navy doctors at first, but after several bad experiences she stopped. One of her friends went to a Navy doctor for stomach cramps. Dr. told her she had a tumor and put her in a special research program she was in that program for about 6 months. Then nine months after the cramps started she gave birth to it. That tumor’s now a police cadet in Denver.

We should be treating and paying our service members better then that. The guy out putting his life on the line for his country should be making at least as much as some software engineer. More IMO.

Pacridge said:
Welcome to debate politics!

Are you enlisted or an officer?

If your enlisted then I’d say they’ve made some improvements since I was in. When I got out in ’87, the amount I was getting would not have paid any mortgages. I looked in a file I keep. In with my DD-214 and a bunch of other documents, were my LES (leave and earnings statements.) I was an E-5 when I left and I was making 1289.00 a month and getting 376.00 BAQ (Basic Allowance for Quarters.) There’s no way that covered even rent on an apartment.

[/font]

I was in from '86 through '89 at Ft Brag, NC. $376 a month certainly would have paid just about any rent in that area. A mortgage? I don't know. I never looked into buying a house back then. Yes, the military is increasing their pay so that soldiers can make a better living & provide a better life for their families. My bro-in-law just retired from the Air Force (21 years) & he gets more than $1289 a month in a retirement check (he was an E-6 upon retirement).

I'm an enlisted E-7 sailor with 16 years in thus far. In the short period of time that I have been in there has been drastic improvements in military pay and quality of life for military members and families.

My wife's civilian doctor is covered by TRICARE (the military contracted insurance company). The navy doctor she had was competent but his schedule was always full and it was hard to get appointments.

Here's a link to the current BAH rates. All you have to do is type in the zip code and military members can see how much they are getting;

https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html

And here's a link to the current military pay scale. Base pay plus BAH and other special pays add up once you have some time in.

http://www.dod.mil/dfas/money/milpay/pay/paytable2005-rev1.pdf

Hi ANAV! :2wave: Thank you for your service, glad to have you aboard.

welcome2.gif

To those of you who served this nation - my sincerest thanks. You put your lives on the line to allow us our continued freedoms. I am truly grateful.

ANAV said:
I'm an enlisted E-7 sailor with 16 years in thus far. In the short period of time that I have been in there has been drastic improvements in military pay and quality of life for military members and families.

My wife's civilian doctor is covered by TRICARE (the military contracted insurance company). The navy doctor she had was competent but his schedule was always full and it was hard to get appointments.

Here's a link to the current BAH rates. All you have to do is type in the zip code and military members can see how much they are getting;

https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bah.html

And here's a link to the current military pay scale. Base pay plus BAH and other special pays add up once you have some time in.

http://www.dod.mil/dfas/money/milpay/pay/paytable2005-rev1.pdf

Thanks for the info Chief. And thanks for your service. I'm glad to hear we're making head way into taking better care of our service members. I still say it isn't enough. Esp. for those in the lowest ranks. Putting your life on the line for your country should be worth a min. of 30K a year, not 13,800. IMO.

BTW what's your rate?

Back
Top Bottom