• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Yale psychiatrist sues university - she was fired over her efforts to expose Trump's mental illness

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
What a crock!! Guess it's more important to keep dumbing America by protecting idiotic liars who become our nation's presidents.

Former Yale psychiatrist sues university -- saying she was fired over her efforts to expose Trump's mental illness - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism
Yale University fired Dr. Lee, an established professor on its medical school faculty, citing the misnamed "Goldwater Rule." That policy directs mental health professionals to hold their tongue about the mental well-being of officials, something American citizens do every day around their kitchen tables, in public forums and on national television. To deny the citizenry the insights of educated mental health professionals is more than absurd, it is an attack on the very principle of American democratic self-governance.

The "rule" is itself of dubious provenance, relevance and is outdated. And yet one of America's leading universities clings to this orthodoxy in firing Dr. Lee, after 17 years on its medical school faculty, for using her knowledge to advance and widen human understanding of public mental health and the deleterious effects of having a popular leader who suffers from delusions that are well documented.

All Americans should be deeply disturbed at Yale's implicit attack on robust public debate by punishing Dr. Lee and seeking to intimidate other well-informed mental health scholars about our elected leaders and their fitness to hold office. This is especially so for any president because his finger is on the nuclear button.

What a crock!! Guess it's more important to keep dumbing America by protecting idiotic liars who become our nation's presidents.

Former Yale psychiatrist sues university -- saying she was fired over her efforts to expose Trump's mental illness - Raw Story - Celebrating 16 Years of Independent Journalism
Yale University fired Dr. Lee, an established professor on its medical school faculty, citing the misnamed "Goldwater Rule." That policy directs mental health professionals to hold their tongue about the mental well-being of officials, something American citizens do every day around their kitchen tables, in public forums and on national television. To deny the citizenry the insights of educated mental health professionals is more than absurd, it is an attack on the very principle of American democratic self-governance.

The "rule" is itself of dubious provenance, relevance and is outdated. And yet one of America's leading universities clings to this orthodoxy in firing Dr. Lee, after 17 years on its medical school faculty, for using her knowledge to advance and widen human understanding of public mental health and the deleterious effects of having a popular leader who suffers from delusions that are well documented.

All Americans should be deeply disturbed at Yale's implicit attack on robust public debate by punishing Dr. Lee and seeking to intimidate other well-informed mental health scholars about our elected leaders and their fitness to hold office. This is especially so for any president because his finger is on the nuclear button.

Psychiatrically diagnosing a public figure (or anyone really) without an examination is malpractice imo. It is the same thing as if a GP claimed Trump has ED.

The Goldwater rule is a trade association rule and does not affect ones license in any way. I work their conventions. Actually ran the gear for the debate on the rule back in the early days of trump's presidency. They threw me out for the vote, but it sounded to me like they might vote to change it. They do that kind of thing for historical figures and criminals. And there is FAR more available to make a diagnosis in trump's case than ANYBODY could get in an hour session.

But it's just a trade association rule. Getting kicked out and losing the marketing advantage, etc. is all they can do.

I have no idea how that justifies what the school did. Lawsuit maybe?

Get over it and move on.

Psychiatrically diagnosing a public figure (or anyone really) without an examination is malpractice imo. It is the same thing as if a GP claimed Trump has ED.

Yeah...initially I jumped on this bandwagon because, well, **** Trump. But it's actually pretty insulting to anyone who has gone through a diagnosis. It's a pretty complicated thing, that involves a ton of discussion with the patient. You could make a guess based on observing their behavior, but suggesting you have an actual diagnosis is dumb, especially when you're "analyzing" the character of Donald Trump as played by himself on TV (even if it is the news), rather than seeing the man in all contexts.

I'm no fan of Donald Trump...but I'm not much of a fan of this either.

Shouldn't her opinionated observations "the deleterious effects of having a popular leader who suffers from delusions" about (S/I/T) DJT after his 5 years on public display count for anything? Her observations didn't cost him his job. It was used as an example. I'd agree that such a particular example of an official not be entered on any test material for students. Even as outrageous as (S/I/T) DJT has been.

Shouldn't her opinionated observations "the deleterious effects of having a popular leader who suffers from delusions" about (S/I/T) DJT after his 5 years on public display count for anything? Her observations didn't cost him his job. It was used as an example. I'd agree that such a particular example of an official not be entered on any test material for students. Even as outrageous as (S/I/T) DJT has been.
Professional malpractice. Without an exam she doesn't know if he's 'delusional' which in medicine is a specific diagnosis of a serious mental illness, or something else. It's ok for us to call Trump delusional, not ok for a doctor who's not treating him to do so.

Very unprofessional to do what she did.
Very glad to see Yale university show her the door. She was a rabid Trump hater and that clouded her judgement. I believe she had been warned about her behavior but she continued with her rantings about president Trump.

Psychiatrists are one of a singular thought and likely disagree among themselves area everything. If psychiatrists become nothing but political hacks and carnival sideshows including instantly trashing someone as a psychiatrist that you have never interviewed and isn't a client, psychiatrists are worthless as a medical professional.

Why see any psychiatrist? Just call the California Psyche Hotline. That only costs $1 a minute - and it's a much cheap why to hearing what you to hear.

I don't recommend the "Raw Story" article, it's pretty biased.

The "Yale News" version is a bit more balanced. Basically, she repeatedly blasted Trump on this "mental illness" angle. First the department chair, then other members of the department, told her to stop; she refused. At some point after the first warning, sheTweeted that because Dershowitz referred to Trump's potentially illegal call to Raffensperger as "perfect," that Dershowitz suffered from "shared psychosis" that afflicts Trump followers, and developed "symptoms by contagion."

Now, the fun begins. On one hand, I agree that Yale is well within its rights to fire her. Just like all the right-wing deplatforming for social media abuse, it's not a 1st Amendment or censorship issue. She crossed a line and behaved unprofessionally in her criticisms.

The thing is, she lost her job in part because Alan Dershowitz... a noted 1st Amendment and anti-censorship lawyer... complained about her Tweets. While 1st Amendment lawyers are certainly entitled to defend themselves in cases of defamation, I'd still say it is a bit of a "wuuuuh?" moment.

I'd also add that while Dershowitz may feel some satisfaction right now, it is exposing more people to her comments. Since clearly he cares about his reputation (otherwise he wouldn't have complained), it seems like a bit of a Pyrrhic victory.

The "Yale News" version is a bit more balanced. Basically, she repeatedly blasted Trump on this "mental illness" angle. First the department chair, then other members of the department, told her to stop; she refused. At some point after the first warning, sheTweeted that because Dershowitz referred to Trump's potentially illegal call to Raffensperger as "perfect," that Dershowitz suffered from "shared psychosis" that afflicts Trump followers, and developed "symptoms by contagion."

Now, the fun begins. On one hand, I agree that Yale is well within its rights to fire her. Just like all the right-wing deplatforming for social media abuse, it's not a 1st Amendment or censorship issue. She crossed a line and behaved unprofessionally in her criticisms.

The thing is, she lost her job in part because Alan Dershowitz... a noted 1st Amendment and anti-censorship lawyer... complained about her Tweets. While 1st Amendment lawyers are certainly entitled to defend themselves in cases of defamation, I'd still say it is a bit of a "wuuuuh?" moment.

I'd also add that while Dershowitz may feel some satisfaction right now, it is exposing more people to her comments. Since clearly he cares about his reputation (otherwise he wouldn't have complained), it seems like a bit of a Pyrrhic victory.
This is interesting and I need to look into it more, but I believe about 95% of the faculty (who can vote in US elections and did) most likely voted for Biden. So this isn't a case of a RW institution censoring a leftist. There is more involved than mere political disagreement

She exposed her own mental illness. You know many people go into the mental health field because they have their own demons. I know, I was married to one.

This is interesting and I need to look into it more, but I believe about 95% of the faculty (who can vote in US elections and did) most likely voted for Biden. So this isn't a case of a RW institution censoring a leftist. There is more involved than mere political disagreement
She is a nutjob, probably on the verge of going postal. They wanted to dumb that problem fast. :LOL: She is an unprofessional psychotic clown, who can't get passed her political biases.

She exposed her own mental illness. You know many people go into the mental health field because they have their own demons. I know, I was married to one.
an attorney I keep in touch with on FB, was half way through a Phd program in psychology when he decided he'd rather be a lawyer and now does lots of medical malpractice defense work. He said the same thing-during the Kavanaugh hearing, he said Ford was a nut case and most likely went into the field to figure out her own issues

Considering psychiatry is a field entirely based on fraud this psychiatrist might be able to Mount the defense that none of what the psychobabblers say is true and therefore the Goldwater rule should be irrelevant

I can't support you on this one. The mental health profession doesn't permit long distance diagnosis. Mental illness is a serious very serious matter. It shouldn't be trivialized with this kind of speculation. In this case Dr. Lee was endangering the credibility of the university she worked for. They were right to fire her.

Punkinhead could be a malignantly narcissistic megalomaniac. That's what some people claim.

Punkinhead could be a malignantly narcissistic megalomaniac. That's what some people claim.
and many who hate him will claim that without any proof whatsoever. the most interesting thing about Trump is the reaction he has caused in some people who once appeared to be sane

and many who hate him will claim that without any proof whatsoever. the most interesting thing about Trump is the reaction he has caused in some people who once appeared to be sane
My GF appears to be sane. But when the 2 year old grandson purposefully knocks her tea over and runs around shrieking at the top of his lungs while throwing alphabet blocks at his brother's head sometimes she'll lose it. Trump does that.

LOLOL!!!! She put out her book psycho analyzing Trump in 2017. Yale should easily be able to show the court that in fact Yale didnt fire her in 2017 and chose not to fire her specifically so she could be free to continue from her Yale perch to denigrate the President and when it became apparent Biden was likely to win the election, they cut her loose for her egregious violation of ethics 3 years earlier.

Unless Trump is her patient or a part of a study of hers she should not be trying to make a professional opinion about it.

I bet it is more likely that she is a hysterical Trump hater that is causing waves about trying to expose him, or soemthing.

Shouldn't her opinionated observations "the deleterious effects of having a popular leader who suffers from delusions" about (S/I/T) DJT after his 5 years on public display count for anything?
Nope. They should not.

As I suspected.

Yeah, I get that after reading the responses here. I've experienced a few college profs who did a lot of pushing their own personal opinions when teaching a subject matter (in which can differ from other profs) and in this case, I originally figured that she was simply another prof expressing her own version of what's broken in the mind of someone like (S/I/T) DJT in which I supported her opinion, when using DJT as an example. The Goldwater Rule -well - overruled her right to do so.

Back
Top Bottom