• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former US commander Stanley McChrystal calls Trump dishonest and ‘immoral’

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

stanley-mcchrystal-gty-jpo-181229_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

US General (Ret) Stanley McChrystal commanding in Afghanistan.

12/30/18
Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal, the former commander of U.S. forces in Afghanistan, sharply criticized President Donald Trump on Sunday, calling him immoral and untruthful and taking aim at his foreign policy decisions. In an interview on ABC News’s “This Week,” McChrystal told host Martha Raddatz of Trump, “I don’t think he tells the truth.” The general also responded affirmatively when asked whether he believes Trump is “immoral.” McChrystal said that contrary to Trump’s claim, Islamic State, also known as ISIS, has not yet been defeated. “I don’t believe ISIS is defeated. I think ISIS is as much an idea as it is a number of ISIS fighters. There’s a lot of intelligence that says there are actually more ISIS fighters around the world now than there were a couple of years ago,” he said.

In Sunday’s interview, McChrystal said he would decline if asked to work in the Trump administration, citing what he described as the president’s lack of honesty. “I’d say, ‘No.’ It’s important for me to work for people who I think are basically honest, who tell the truth as best they know it,” the retired general said. McChrystal added that although he couldn’t tell others not to support Trump, Americans should ask themselves whether the president embodies the country’s values. “If we want to be governed by someone we wouldn’t do a business deal with because their background is so shady — if we’re willing to do that, then that’s in conflict with who I think we are,” he said. “And so I think it’s necessary at those times to take a stand.”

I appreciate former military commanders - Gen. David Petraeus, Gen. James Mattis, Gen. Barry McCaffrey, Adm. William McRaven, Gen. Stanley McCrystal - to name a few, speak out about Donald Trump.

yawn...

Another ex-military talking potato head sounds off. Should I be impressed?

You should NEVER be impressed with anything negative anyone ever says about Trump. If you did, it would be a definite sign as to the End of Days arriving soon.

You should NEVER be impressed with anything negative anyone ever says about Trump. If you did, it would be a definite sign as to the End of Days arriving soon.

What would impress me is if the talking potato heads ever stopped trying to outdo each other with their rhetoric. Their hyperbole only diminishes their credibility.

I appreciate former military commanders - Gen. David Petraeus, Gen. James Mattis, Gen. Barry McCaffrey, Adm. William McRaven, Gen. Stanley McCrystal - to name a few, speak out about Donald Trump.

Bet you do appreciate it. It feeds into your extreme president Trump hate complex. Hate away.....
McCrystal has a bad habit of attacking his leadership.

This is truly rich coming from McChrystal.
Remember this.....

Stanley McChrystal recalled over Rolling Stone article

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jun/22/stanley-mcchrystal-apologises-rolling-stone

General Stanley McChrystal, the US commander of all Nato-led forces in Afghanistan, has been recalled to Washington after he criticised Barack Obama's administration in a magazine profile due to be published later this week.

A Nato official confirmed that McChrystal would travel to Washington tomorrow to explain the Rolling Stone article, in which he said that he felt betrayed by the US ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry. One of his aides told the magazine that McChrystal was disappointed by his first meeting with an "unprepared" Obama.

Bet you do appreciate it. It feeds into your extreme president Trump hate complex. Hate away.....
Remember this.....

Sure. I agreed with him.

On the substance of McCrystal comments as opposed to the knee jerk reaction:

1. Trump is in a better position to know the state of ISIS today than McCrystal. Sen Graham is backtracking after meeting with Trump and discussing this obvious observation. Which suggests that perhaps Trump has a valid argument.

2. However, McCrystal is arguing that ISIS is growing bigger worldwide. OK.
So let's say he is correct. So why does he recommend to continue focusing USA efforts on ISIS in Syria? Does he propose to send troops to other countries where ISIS is growing?

3. In light of his claim that ISIS is growing worldwide, and thus remains a threat to the USA, what is his opinion of say, the travel ban that Trump directed upon his inauguration? Or about the "wall"?

What would impress me is if the talking potato heads ever stopped trying to outdo each other with their rhetoric. Their hyperbole only diminishes their credibility.

There we go!!! That is the Mycroft that is find reassuring. ;)

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you. :2wave:

yawn...
Of course not, because he isn’t singing praises for The Orange One you have no reason to.

Well, I've not trusted McCrystal since the Tillman cover up, but he has been an important general for a long time and no-one who has left Trump's clown car has much good to say about the ride.

Well, I've not trusted McCrystal since the Tillman cover up, but he has been an important general for a long time and no-one who has left Trump's clown car has much good to say about the ride.

Whatever McCrystal's faults, and all four stars have some, he is spot-on in characterizing Donald Trump as dishonest and immoral.

yawn...

You certainly were impressed when you thought you had a super-clever way to criticize Obama's military decisions using people like him. Now, of course, all the people you used to be impressed with must become "failed generals" because you think you have a super-clever way to defend Trump's military decisions.

And it's not just you, Mycroft. It's every last one of the people who have devoted the last few years of their lives to relentlessly defending Trump on DP and if they can't think up some fresh bull**** to throw at someone, they instead run interference by flinging poo at liberals.

The sad thing here is that you really do not seem to understand how blindingly transparent this all is to everyone else.

McCrystal has a bad habit of attacking his leadership.

Remember this.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jun/22/stanley-mcchrystal-apologises-rolling-stone

General Stanley McChrystal, the US commander of all Nato-led forces in Afghanistan, has been recalled to Washington after he criticised Barack Obama's administration in a magazine profile due to be published later this week.

A Nato official confirmed that McChrystal would travel to Washington tomorrow to explain the Rolling Stone article, in which he said that he felt betrayed by the US ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry. One of his aides told the magazine that McChrystal was disappointed by his first meeting with an "unprepared" Obama.

Fortunately for you, you weren't on DP then, so you don't have to worry about any posts from you praising McChrystal for those criticisms.

Seriously...you guys are only fooling each other.

Yes, dishonest and immoral has pretty much always described Trump. But, as long as he masquerades as pro-life, that's what many republicans seem to care most about. There's actually a rift in one conservative wing of my family right now, over Trump.

I know, right? :thumbs:

On the substance of McCrystal comments as opposed to the knee jerk reaction:

1. Trump is in a better position to know the state of ISIS today than McCrystal. Sen Graham is backtracking after meeting with Trump and discussing this obvious observation. Which suggests that perhaps Trump has a valid argument.

Trump may have access to that information but like most fact, it'll be lost on him. He has access to economic and climate data as well and chooses to ignore it. Trump is unlikely to pay attention to experts at briefings or have any real understanding based on the accumulated knowledge because he is famously a man who does not listen.

McChrystal may be somewhat out of the loop but an analytical mind like his with all that background knowledge needs only read the headlines to get a good picture. Moreover if he still has his security clearance he may not be all that out of the loop.

2. However, McCrystal is arguing that ISIS is growing bigger worldwide. OK.
So let's say he is correct. So why does he recommend to continue focusing USA efforts on ISIS in Syria? Does he propose to send troops to other countries where ISIS is growing?

One would have to do an accurate assessment of how much ISIS is truly 'growing'. The conditions in Syria and Iraq were ripe for them to become a powerful faction for a time. In other countries they'll never rise above the level of AQ, with the odd bus-bombing or beheading. Again despite no longer being in the hot seat, McChrystal is likely to have a deeper understanding of these factors than Trump does.

3. In light of his claim that ISIS is growing worldwide, and thus remains a threat to the USA, what is his opinion of say, the travel ban that Trump directed upon his inauguration? Or about the "wall"?

That we don't know till he pipes up on it. But while the southern border is a pet peeve among Trump supporters I doubt it comes up that often in discussions about ISIS. The travel ban is more relevant: an organisation like theirs is more likely to seek legal means of entry then use the ease of access to weapons and other equipment on the black market, to cause trouble stateside. Sneaking across the border is what poor desperate people looking for work do.

One would have to do an accurate assessment of how much ISIS is truly 'growing'.

The sad truth is that Trumps defenders here embrace the extremely incorrect notion that ISIS needs tens of thousands of militia and hold wide swaths of territory in the Middle East to constitute a threat to the US.

Haven't they learned anything? Have they forgotten the mayhem caused by 12 Saudis on the morning of 9/11?

Or the 14 people killed and 22 others wounded in the terrorist attack in San Bernadino in 2015?

Except when it's Trump doing that, right?

Gotcha!

The general has more credibility in his pinky toe than Comrade Trump has in his whole fat body.

Except when it's Trump doing that, right?

Gotcha!

The general has more credibility in his pinky toe than Comrade Trump has in his whole fat body.

Give it up.

You are no match for the talent of the talking potato heads. They are world's better than you at spouting hyperbole. You are limited to repeating their nonsense.

Back
Top Bottom