• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former UN inspector Blix says war illegal

Kind of what many people always maintained...

BBC News - Iraq inquiry: Former UN inspector Blix says war illegal

...an illegal war against an illegal regime in which no one emerged with their ethics intact. Does this put an end to the debate?

No, because Hans Blix does not specialize in international law. Only the ICJ has the jurisdiction to decide if this war was illegal or not, and it clearly was not as Saddam was in violation of UNSC resolutions that had the authorization to use force to ensure compliance...

Hehehe.. Maybe Mike Savage is right after all.. Gosh, listneing to liberals makes my head hurt..

"Hans" Blix.. LOL

Tim-

Good thing this guy is a "former" UN inspector. Honestly I don't trust the UN as a credible source anymore. It seems they are too preoccupied with "strongly condemning the actions of Israel" and bashing any action that America does. I somewhat believe the idea of international laws are silly, especially laws that regulate war.

I have one thing to say on this subject. And then despite all the partisan hackery that shall ensue in the next few days on this subject, I shall attempt to stop myself from talking anymore in this thread. So *drumroll*

duh-duh12333878231.jpg

Good thing this guy is a "former" UN inspector. Honestly I don't trust the UN as a credible source anymore. It seems they are too preoccupied with "strongly condemning the actions of Israel" and bashing any action that America does. I somewhat believe the idea of international laws are silly, especially laws that regulate war.

So where are those WMD's?

I have one thing to say on this subject. And then despite all the partisan hackery that shall ensue in the next few days on this subject, I shall attempt to stop myself from talking anymore in this thread. So *drumroll*

duh-duh12333878231.jpg

Good luck with that. ;)

the burden of proof was on the hanged rat to prove he didn't have any, not on the US to prove he did.

how would he have proved that negative?

show us what you learned in law school about proving a negative

I'll never forget Rumsfeld saying absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. To the intelligent person he was admitting they had nothing.

you didn't understand the terms of the cease fire did you?

You know, the snopes response to this has been posted many times. Why can't anyone remember that many of these comments are out of context?

snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes
Snopes confirmed that these quotes were real, and then provided their contexts. You can see with many of them that Democrats did indeed believe that Saddam had or most likely had WMDs. I shouldn't have used a partisan right wing source for the quotes, and I mussed apologize for that. However, many Democrats were concerned about Saddam along with many in the international community. I can remember which nations believed that Saddam had WMDs or most likely possessed them, but I am pretty sure they included the UK, Australia, and other nations that aided us with their troops. If this war is truly illegal, than should the nations who have helped us also be charged with war crimes?

the burden of proof was on the hanged rat to prove he didn't have any, not on the US to prove he did.

Aren't you a lawyer? If one side makes a claim, who needs to prove its veracity?

Last edited:
You're right if you believe that agreements made hold no legal bearing.

Yea well the relationship of nations is sort of anarchist.
So no, they don't have any real legal binding.

With this issue, it doesn't matter if you support or don't support the Iraq war.
The facts are that no one has the gall to enforce it, if it is illegal.
International "law" can be disregarded at will and no one will do anything about it.

Last edited:
Yea well the relationship of nations is sort of anarchist.
So no, they don't have any real legal binding.

With this issue, it doesn't matter if you support or don't support the Iraq war.
The facts are that no one has the gall to enforce it, if it is illegal.
International "law" can be disregarded at will and no one will do anything about it.

Of course they can't enforce it, but that doesn't mean it is illegal. Those are two very different issues. Now, does our word mean anything? When we sign agreements, does it count? And if our word is meaningless, who should trust us?

snopes.com: Weapons of Mass Destruction Quotes
Snopes confirmed that these quotes were real, and then provided their contexts. You can see with many of them that Democrats did indeed believe that Saddam had or most likely had WMDs. I shouldn't have used a partisan right wing source for the quotes, and I mussed apologize for that. However, many Democrats were concerned about Saddam along with many in the international community. I can remember which nations believed that Saddam had WMDs or most likely possessed them, but I am pretty sure they included the UK, Australia, and other nations that aided us with their troops. If this war is truly illegal, than should the nations who have helped us also be charged with war crimes?

Read it. Yes they said it, which makes that part true. But keep reading. Pay attention the "but" part concerning how many of them are out of context and not in support of going to war.

Of course they can't enforce it, but that doesn't mean it is illegal. Those are two very different issues. Now, does our word mean anything? When we sign agreements, does it count? And if our word is meaningless, who should trust us?

No it doesn't count.

There is nothing anyone can do, it's meaningless fluff.
Legally is nonexistent when it can't be enforced.
That is the real world.

No it doesn't count.

There is nothing anyone can do, it's meaningless fluff.
Legally is nonexistent when it can't be enforced.
That is the real world.

So, any bully who can get away with it is above the law. Noted.

Now, I asked a few more questions.

So, any bully who can get away with it is above the law. Noted.

Now, I asked a few more questions.

There have been plenty of bullies that get away with anything they want.
No one does anything about them.

Our word is meaningless, yes.
When we sign agreements it counts unless we don't want it to.

There is no real 100% trust, it's an issue by issue thing.
Anyone that believes otherwise is delusional.

There have been plenty of bullies that get away with anything they want.
No one does anything about them.

Our word is meaningless, yes.
When we sign agreements it counts unless we don't want it to.

There is no real 100% trust, it's an issue by issue thing.
Anyone that believes otherwise is delusional.

How honorable. There is no reason to amke any agreements with us. And that is the lesson for Iran. The law means nothing, you simply need a nuke.

Back
Top Bottom