• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Trump adviser Steve Bannon indicted by federal grand jury for contempt of Congress

Weren't you warned about those kinds of girls?
Stormy Daniels: Trump 'told me to spank him' with Forbes magazine | World |  The Times

^^ Yep, that's one skanky looking skank. The girl looks scanky too.

this is different from bannon - to him - in a positive way

he's a lawyer, whose counsel can be privileged
he was the chief of staff to the president, hired by the white house to provide counsel, which may be privileged
Highly doubt he will be able to claim attorney/client privilege because Trump had not hired him to serve in that capacity and the information and/or advice Meadows gave or forwarded to Trump in his role the Chief Aide was not for the purpose of obtaining legal representation or as legal advice. That's the White House Counsel's job.

Why does Bannon get the weekend off?
To give him plenty of time to return his T'giving turkey for a refund. lol

Probably to allow him quality time with his lawyers to prepare for his not guilty bed time story plea on Monday.

Highly doubt he will be able to claim attorney/client privilege because Trump had not hired him to serve in that capacity and the information and/or advice Meadows gave or forwarded to Trump in his role the Chief Aide was not for the purpose of obtaining legal representation or as legal advice. That's the White House Counsel's job.
did Erskine Bowles, who held that same position decades earlier testify to what he knew about clinton receiving a blow job?
if so, then meadows should have to testify. if not, then he should be entitled to the same privilege
and i abhor mark meadows; he's a swindling attorney from my neck of the woods (as is Erskine Bowles from this region). mentioned only to display that my defense of his privilege is not driven by political alliance or personal desire

did Erskine Bowles, who held that same position decades earlier testify to what he knew about clinton receiving a blow job?
if so, then meadows should have to testify. if not, then he should be entitled to the same privilege
and i abhor mark meadows; he's a swindling attorney from my neck of the woods (as is Erskine Bowles from this region). mentioned only to display that my defense of his privilege is not driven by political alliance or personal desire
Did Bowles ignore a subpoena? No. He testified before a Grand Jury, at Ken Starr's invitation.

Did Bowles ignore a subpoena? No. He testified before a Grand Jury, at Ken Starr's invitation.
would appear you have identified an appropriate precedent to apply to extant circumstance

Reactions: JMR
The major difference however is that Clinton was still the President then. Trump isn't.

I don't think the Justice Department has much choice. This is a very legitimate investigation, and the DoJ cannot allow insurrectionists to show blatant disregard for the rule of law.
(y)
But it's also quite sad and ominous. It's sad that a democratically-elected regime in the world's most influential democracy is now in the position of having to put the previous regime on trial. It's ominous in the sense that the previous regime seeks to regain power, and they will no doubt use these indictments as the pretext for prosecutions of their own should they return to the helm.
So true, except that 'get even' plan was already in place to happen, since DJT didn't pull off his 2020 election steal simply because Trump flat out did himself in. However, one impeachment and a Mueller investigation into Trump's Russia affair put huge burs inside Trumplican's panties prior to DJT's 2020 reelection bid and after 1/6, another impeachment sent them completely over the 'get even' cliff. No matter what, if Trump or one of his butt kissing idiots makes it into the oval office, they'll do everything in their power to completely destroy the Democratic Party, in which by 2019, they were preparing to do anyway. imo

this is different from bannon - to him - in a positive way

he's a lawyer, whose counsel can be privileged
he was the chief of staff to the president, hired by the white house to provide counsel, which may be privileged
Mark Meadows wasn't Trump's personal attorney. He was White House Chief of Staff. So, he isn't protected by attorney client privilege in reference to Trump, because Trump wasn't his client...

Is that why tech billionaire Peter Thiel supports the GOP almost exclusively? https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/17/peter-thiel-senate-megadonor-488799

Is that why Elon Musk regularly contributes to the Republican party and is in an escalating row with the Biden administration?
* https://www.thedailybeast.com/elon-musk-unmasked-as-top-donor-to-house-republican-pac
* https://www.barrons.com/articles/elon-musk-feud-biden-administration-51635729047?tesla=y

Is that why despite banning Trump, Facebook often refused to censor questionable stories from outlets like Breitbart?

Silicon Valley poses as progressive, but they are hardly friends of the progressive moment or the Democratic party. And certainly not now that they're openly talking about revisions to Sec 230.
Silicon valley has never been progressive, theres not a thing those frat bros wont do for money, even enabling a genocide.

Bannon to "surrender" on Monday. Such a "Tron Carter Law & Order" justice system we have. "Should send a clear message". Really? He'll get a slap on the wrist. When they say he can get up to a year, I'm expecting 1/5th of that to be served if any. Glad Merrick got off his ass and did anything at all about these people though.
Its really appalling even countries with monarchies are doing better at democracy than we do.

Well nevermind waste of time explaining it to you
You make a good point. Trying to explain reality to someone who can't accept the concept is a long way from fruitful. It's hard to fathom where such idiotic statements originate. I've had the experience, professionally, of trying to engage someone in the midst of a psychotic break. It is a terrible experience.

One of many more to come in the near future, I would assume.

The indictment is a first. No one has ever been prosecuted before for contempt of Congress when executive privilege was asserted. The past cases involved defendants whose testimony was sought regarding their government service. Bannon, by contrast, left his White House job in 2017, well before the period of interest to the House committee.

If convicted, Bannon could face up to a year behind bars and a fine of up to $100,000.

The fact that the Justice Department was willing to charge him with criminal contempt, despite an assertion of executive privilege, may help persuade other reluctant witnesses to agree to cooperate with the committee's investigation.
And he can't claim executive privilege if Trump is no long president.

Wall Street is Democrat, most of the Billionaires are Democrats...

And yes, all of our institutions are rotten to the core with leftist Democrats.

Good gravy, the FBI and DOJ just spent the past 5 years on a witch hunt to get Trump that they not only knew was a lie, but they fabricated evidence and lied to the courts, Congress, and the American people.

Stop watching the propaganda outlets, it's rotting your brain.
You do realize that this is the exact stuff Bannon has been preaching for years. The probes into Trump were started by and run by Trump appointee's. The impeachments were separate issues.

So what?

He dies, goes to jail, gets acquitted or whatever.

I really could not care much less.

There are few people in American politics whom I thought were more overrated than this guy.

He is nothing but a troll who spews forth Conservative anarchy.

He had his moment in 'the Sun'.
Now it's over...for good.

He is almost nothing to me.

I see that some posters think it’s cool to ignore subpoenas and break laws.

Back
Top Bottom