• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Rep. Jackson Sentenced to 2½ Years

Wehrwolfen

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
By DEVLIN BARRETT
AUG 14,2013

Ex-Congressman Apologizes to Family for Misusing Campaign Funds

A judge on Wednesday sentenced former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. to 2½ years in prison for treating his campaign fund like a "personal piggy bank"—siphoning off $750,000 over the years to pay for personal items like spa treatments and televisions.

Mr. Jackson's wife, Sandi Jackson, a former Chicago alderman, was sentenced to a year in prison for her role in the scheme.

The former congressman, who had represented a Chicago district for more than a decade, resigned last year amid the Federal Bureau of Investigation probe of his finances. He pleaded guilty earlier this year.

Mr. Jackson broke down several times in admitting wrongdoing to U.S. District Court Judge Amy Berman Jackson, who is no relation to the defendant. "I misled the American people. I misled the House of Representatives," Mr. Jackson said. "I was wrong and I don't fault anyone."

The lawmaker wept as he talked about the pain he had caused his family, particularly his father, civil-rights leader Rev. Jesse Jackson. "I also want to apologize to my dad and my mother," he said.

Watching from the spectator section of the courtroom, the elder Mr. Jackson shook his head and rubbed his eyes.

"I need to be as far away from everybody for a while as I can be," the younger Mr. Jackson said.

(Excerpt)

Read more:
Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Sentenced to 2½ Years - WSJ.com

Hmm..., two and a half years for the embezzlement of over $750,000 dollars. He's even getting his choice of prison to serve his time. It's good to be the son of Jesse Jackson and a Democratic Party Congressman. I wonder what the conviction would have been if he was a white Conservative?

Hmm..., two and a half years for the embezzlement of over $750,000 dollars. He's even getting his choice of prison to serve his time. It's good to be the son of Jesse Jackson and a Democratic Party Congressman. I wonder what the conviction would have been if he was a white Conservative?

What is it actually like to feel victimized by nothing 24/7?

He should have gotten alot more than that as a sentence. But that's not a democrat problem. That's a white collar crime problem in general. They get slaps on the wrist compared to the amount of money they steal. The only Republican example I remember was Tom Delay who illegally embezzled and illegally rerouted money to campaigns. He could have gotten 15-20 years in prison, but got 3 years. And I'm sure he got all the excellent treatment regarding picking where he would serve his jail sentence that Jackson got.

We should have a minimum sentencing when it comes to politicians and political aides and even lobbyist's. Something strict enough that they would think twice before screwing people over.

Are you claiming that Jesse Jackson Jr. is being victimized? Please clarify your statement.

I'm saying you are... or at least you think you are.

How many times do I have to hear about the "poor white Christian" getting picked on by everyone else.

It's people playing the pathetic victim card.

I'm saying you are... or at least you think you are.

How many times do I have to hear about the "poor white Christian" getting picked on by everyone else.

It's people playing the pathetic victim card.

Really? I personally think that Mr. Jackson should have received the maximum sentence and be sent to the prison not of his choice.

Ex-Congressman Apologizes to Family for Misusing Campaign Funds

Read more:
Former Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. Sentenced to 2½ Years - WSJ.com

Probably nothing. Republicans don't even get a slap on the wrist....

"...O'Donnell, who set a state record by raising more than $7.3 million in a Tea Party-fueled campaign this year, has been dogged by questions about her personal and campaign finances.

At least two former campaign workers have alleged that she routinely used political contributions to pay personal expenses including her rent as she ran for the Senate. She has run three consecutive times, starting in 2006...."
O'Donnell blames disgruntled former aides for probe - politics - Decision 2010 | NBC News

"....“Lu Young has a sense of entitlement about most things and can be very mean when she doesn’t get her way,” the former aide to Mr. Young said. “The Youngs don’t think they should have to pay for anything when they are in Alaska, including dinner, laundry and dry cleaning.”

The campaign staff at times objected to the spending — which included charter plane flights to his home in Fort Yukon, in which they often carried supplies to help with a construction project then under way there, the aide told investigators. No campaign events ever took place at the house, the aide said, but the trips were often charged, at least in part, to the campaign.

“There was no doubt,” the former aide said, “that the expenses Lu Young were submitting were inappropriate, and it was a common topic of discussion.” ...."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/u...misused-campaign-funds-ex-aide-said.html?_r=0

What a shame, now you can't accuse Holder of showing favoritism to blacks.

Really? I personally think that Mr. Jackson should have received the maximum sentence and be sent to the prison not of his choice.

And I agree, but as Rocket rightly pointed out, this was a white collar crime issue, not a "I'm a white Christian male being persecuted issue" that you wanted to make it.

He should have gotten alot more than that as a sentence. But that's not a democrat problem. That's a white collar crime problem in general. They get slaps on the wrist compared to the amount of money they steal. The only Republican example I remember was Tom Delay who illegally embezzled and illegally rerouted money to campaigns. He could have gotten 15-20 years in prison, but got 3 years. And I'm sure he got all the excellent treatment regarding picking where he would serve his jail sentence that Jackson got.

We should have a minimum sentencing when it comes to politicians and political aides and even lobbyist's. Something strict enough that they would think twice before screwing people over.

It's more of a Democrat problem than a white collar problem. These types of crimes are federal crimes, and typically carry pretty harsh sentences. Don't be under the impression that businessmen get preferential treatment in this. They definitely don't.

It's more of a Democrat problem than a white collar problem. These types of crimes are federal crimes, and typically carry pretty harsh sentences. Don't be under the impression that businessmen get preferential treatment in this. They definitely don't.

That's Right.....as Indiana just hooked up a Politician for the same thing. Yet they sent him away for a very long time. What gets me is how they are going to let the Jacksons use their Washington DC address and that house address. Yet they lived here in Illinois. Represented the people here and got those campaign donations from here. Sandy Jackson was a Chicago Politician. Both should have to serve the time in the state they were representing.

Again they had all kinds of people write in and ask this judge to be lenient. WTF they should be setting an example. Especially with all Chicago politicians. Moreover her tax fraud what taking place here. With Jackson paying his OL 4k to consult him on being a State Representative. When Sandy has no experience at being one whatsoever.

3cd61eee4a38761b3a0f6a7067004b3e.jpg

The couple have two children. Prosecutors have recommended the sentences be served at different times to reduce the impact.

"I stand before you today asking for mercy," Sandi Jackson said, adding that "my heart breaks every day with the pain it has caused my babies."

Jackson Jr. asked on Monday that the judge recommend to the Bureau of Prisons that he serve his time at a federal prison in Montgomery, Alabama, because it would allow him to be nearer to his wife and children. The judge said Wednesday she would make that recommendation.

Dozens of letters to the judge were filed in the court docket before the sentencing. They included ones from Jackson Sr., ordinary people who had met the congressman only once, and Democratic Representative Marica Fudge, the head of the Congressional Black Caucus, asking for clemency.

Most letter writers expressed outrage at the couple's behavior and asked for the maximum punishment as a way to combat persistent corruption in Illinois and in Chicago's Cook County.

"Cook County is likely the most corrupt county in the most corrupt state and the self-serving greed displayed by Mr. Jackson over several years in office qualifies him for the Illinois Hall of Shame," Cook County resident Kenneth Kunka wrote.....snip~

Ex-U.S. congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. sentenced to 30 months in prison

It breaks her poor wittle heart with what its done to her babies. No heart for all those people she represented tho.

Probably nothing. Republicans don't even get a slap on the wrist....

"...O'Donnell, who set a state record by raising more than $7.3 million in a Tea Party-fueled campaign this year, has been dogged by questions about her personal and campaign finances.

At least two former campaign workers have alleged that she routinely used political contributions to pay personal expenses including her rent as she ran for the Senate. She has run three consecutive times, starting in 2006...."
O'Donnell blames disgruntled former aides for probe - politics - Decision 2010 | NBC News

"....“Lu Young has a sense of entitlement about most things and can be very mean when she doesn’t get her way,” the former aide to Mr. Young said. “The Youngs don’t think they should have to pay for anything when they are in Alaska, including dinner, laundry and dry cleaning.”

The campaign staff at times objected to the spending — which included charter plane flights to his home in Fort Yukon, in which they often carried supplies to help with a construction project then under way there, the aide told investigators. No campaign events ever took place at the house, the aide said, but the trips were often charged, at least in part, to the campaign.

“There was no doubt,” the former aide said, “that the expenses Lu Young were submitting were inappropriate, and it was a common topic of discussion.” ...."
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/21/u...misused-campaign-funds-ex-aide-said.html?_r=0

What a shame, now you can't accuse Holder of showing favoritism to blacks.

If Ms. O'Donnell has committed a crime, then by all means she should be prosecuted. Are you claiming that Mr. Jackson was convicted wrongly?

If Ms. O'Donnell has committed a crime, then by all means she should be prosecuted. Are you claiming that Mr. Jackson was convicted wrongly?

No, I'm claiming that Republicans don't even get a slap on the wrist.

How do you feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on each of the stadiums in Chicago by taxpayer money? If Chicago did secede or was booted out, could they build a mote and keep out all of the Cons coming to town to share the goodies of the sports teams. Especially from local con states.

That's Right.....as Indiana just hooked up a Politician for the same thing. Yet they sent him away for a very long time. What gets me is how they are going to let the Jacksons use their Washington DC address and that house address. Yet they lived here in Illinois. Represented the people here and got those campaign donations from here. Sandy Jackson was a Chicago Politician. Both should have to serve the time in the state they were representing.

Again they had all kinds of people write in and ask this judge to be lenient. WTF they should be setting an example. Especially with all Chicago politicians. Moreover her tax fraud what taking place here. With Jackson paying his OL 4k to consult him on being a State Representative. When Sandy has no experience at being one whatsoever.

3cd61eee4a38761b3a0f6a7067004b3e.jpg

The couple have two children. Prosecutors have recommended the sentences be served at different times to reduce the impact.

"I stand before you today asking for mercy," Sandi Jackson said, adding that "my heart breaks every day with the pain it has caused my babies."

Jackson Jr. asked on Monday that the judge recommend to the Bureau of Prisons that he serve his time at a federal prison in Montgomery, Alabama, because it would allow him to be nearer to his wife and children. The judge said Wednesday she would make that recommendation.

Dozens of letters to the judge were filed in the court docket before the sentencing. They included ones from Jackson Sr., ordinary people who had met the congressman only once, and Democratic Representative Marica Fudge, the head of the Congressional Black Caucus, asking for clemency.

Most letter writers expressed outrage at the couple's behavior and asked for the maximum punishment as a way to combat persistent corruption in Illinois and in Chicago's Cook County.

"Cook County is likely the most corrupt county in the most corrupt state and the self-serving greed displayed by Mr. Jackson over several years in office qualifies him for the Illinois Hall of Shame," Cook County resident Kenneth Kunka wrote.....snip~

Ex-U.S. congressman Jesse Jackson Jr. sentenced to 30 months in prison

It breaks her poor wittle heart with what its done to her babies. No heart for all those people she represented tho.

How do you feel about the hundreds of millions of dollars spent on each of the stadiums in Chicago by taxpayer money? If Chicago did secede or was booted out, could they build a mote and keep out all of the Cons coming to town to share the goodies of the sports teams. Especially from local con states.

What would change as to how I felt? Although I doubt you can make up for all the Democratic crooks that sit in Chicago as politicians.

Don't you think the Jacksons should have to do the time in the state they were stealing from the people they represented. The people they made promises to and lived a life of luxury off of them.

Then what were you implying?
I was just responding to your question.....

"..I wonder what the conviction would have been if he was a white Conservative?"

Now you know....white conservatives wouldn't even get a slap on the wrist.

"..I wonder what the conviction would have been if he was a white Conservative?"

Well Moot.....just how did that play out Ryan the former governor? What would your answer be for him. Since he was a White conservative. Did you think he got a slap on the wrist when they wouldn't let him out to be with his wife when she passed and having him do most of the time he was sentenced to?

Are you saying that these two should be given a break? Get to use the excuse of their children and or some alleged bipolar condition. Any average people would lose their kids and be sent up. Why should the rules be any different for them?

That makes too much sense. Most Illinois prisons are not easy time. Besides, I believe these are Federal charges. How about Menard downstate? He'd be some fine tender flesh there.
What would change as to how I felt? Although I doubt you can make up for all the Democratic crooks that sit in Chicago as politicians.

Don't you think the Jacksons should have to do the time in the state they were stealing from the people they represented. The people they made promises to and lived a life of luxury off of them.

You must have just fallen off the turnip truck, or you are completely out of it? I guess the convictions of Duke Cunningham and Tom DeLay kind of went to the memory hole until it became useful to use. I notice you tried to compare Christine O'Donnell to the ex-Congressman and the son of Jesse Jackson. Hmm..., I wonder where junior learned how to embezzle funds?

That makes too much sense. Most Illinois prisons are not easy time. Besides, I believe these are Federal charges. How about Menard downstate? He'd be some fine tender flesh there.

How is Sandy's Federal? She was doing their taxes. She did it from here and there. But she represented here.

Also that's the point.....none of Illinois Prisons are easy time. Which I am speaking of Max Prisons. Although he would more than likely be safer at Menard than any other. Not anything else. So whats the difference when Illinois has medium and minimum prisons that look like a college campus' with a security fence around it? Not to difficult time there where those there are on their way out.

Course Quinn didn't close down Dwight prison for the women like he thought.

To those who want to claim there are two sets of justice for Democrats and Republicans, I say that's nonsense. If you think these two Democrats weren't given preferential treatment, you're not living in reality. I'd like someone to point out another situation where a wife has been allowed to defer her imprisonment for up to 30 months so that she doesn't serve time concurrently with her felonious husband. I certainly hope she's under house arrest for that entire period of time and not allowed to entertain anyone other than immediate family in the home until she serves her year in prison.

What I would agree to is that there are two sets of justice for men and women, as witnessed by the sentences handed out today.

Women can claim to be equals all they want, but when they get preferential treatment in a court, they are just having their weakness validated and documented. This was fraud committed by both and enjoyed by both in equal measures - the wife did not just believe her husband "came into cash" every now and then - she knew, condoned it, and particapted in it. She should have received the same sentence and been jailed at the same time as her husband.

I haven't read as close as you on Sandy. Actually, Dwight is closed. I go by there every time I go see Mom. There's talk of it partially reopening with prisoners of overcrowded county jails and such elsewhere. Maybe a barter with downstate Repubs. They were up in arms when Pontiac almost closed. Those workers are wimps compared to the ones at Stateville.
How is Sandy's Federal? She was doing their taxes. She did it from here and there. But she represented here.

Also that's the point.....none of Illinois Prisons are easy time. Which I am speaking of Max Prisons. Although he would more than likely be safer at Menard than any other. Not anything else. So whats the difference when Illinois has medium and minimum prisons that look like a college campus' with a security fence around it? Not to difficult time there where those there are on their way out.

Course Quinn didn't close down Dwight prison for the women like he thought.

To those who want to claim there are two sets of justice for Democrats and Republicans, I say that's nonsense. If you think these two Democrats weren't given preferential treatment, you're not living in reality. I'd like someone to point out another situation where a wife has been allowed to defer her imprisonment for up to 30 months so that she doesn't serve time concurrently with her felonious husband. I certainly hope she's under house arrest for that entire period of time and not allowed to entertain anyone other than immediate family in the home until she serves her year in prison.

What I would agree to is that there are two sets of justice for men and women, as witnessed by the sentences handed out today.

Women can claim to be equals all they want, but when they get preferential treatment in a court, they are just having their weakness validated and documented. This was fraud committed by both and enjoyed by both in equal measures - the wife did not just believe her husband "came into cash" every now and then - she knew, condoned it, and particapted in it. She should have received the same sentence and been jailed at the same time as her husband.

Here was the guy they caught in Indiana.

Hammond City Councilman Salinas gets 42 months in prison on federal bribery, tax charges.....

HAMMOND, Indiana — A federal judge has sentenced a Hammond city councilman to 42 months in prison for taking a bribe and not filing federal income tax returns.

Al Salinas was sentenced Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hammond after pleaded guilty in May to not filing tax returns since 2006 and to taking $10,600 in bribes to steer city tree-trimming contracts to one business.

Salinas apologized, saying he was a bad bookkeeper and had a busy schedule.

However, Assistant U.S. Attorney Gary Bell said Salinas "is a corrupt politician and he's a tax cheat.".....snip~

Hammond City Councilman Salinas gets 42 months in prison on federal bribery, tax charges

Here was the guy they caught in Indiana.

Hammond City Councilman Salinas gets 42 months in prison on federal bribery, tax charges.....

HAMMOND, Indiana — A federal judge has sentenced a Hammond city councilman to 42 months in prison for taking a bribe and not filing federal income tax returns.

Al Salinas was sentenced Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Hammond after pleaded guilty in May to not filing tax returns since 2006 and to taking $10,600 in bribes to steer city tree-trimming contracts to one business.

Salinas apologized, saying he was a bad bookkeeper and had a busy schedule.

However, Assistant U.S. Attorney Gary Bell said Salinas "is a corrupt politician and he's a tax cheat.".....snip~

Hammond City Councilman Salinas gets 42 months in prison on federal bribery, tax charges

Can't say I have any sympathy for the "good" councilman.

Back
Top Bottom