• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Former President George H.W. Bush Dies At 94

This made me tear up a bit. Bush also spoke to his son before he died hence the title of this article.

George Bush had been fading in the last few days. He had not gotten out of bed, he had stopped eating and he was mostly sleeping. For a man who had defied death multiple times over the years, it seemed that the moment might finally be arriving.

His longtime friend and former secretary of state, James A. Baker III, arrived at his Houston home on Friday morning to check on him.

Mr. Bush suddenly grew alert, his eyes wide open. “Where are we going, Bake?” he asked.

“We’re going to heaven,” Mr. Baker answered.

“That’s where I want to go,” Mr. Bush said.

Barely 13 hours later, Mr. Bush was dead.

‘I Love You, Too’: George Bush’s Final Days

Re: [R.I.P.] Former president George H.W. Bush dies at age 94

From the Houston Chronicle:

George Herbert Walker Bush, whose lone term as the 41st president of the United States ushered in the final days of the Cold War and perpetuated a family political dynasty that influenced American politics at both the national and state levels for decades, has died. He was 94.

Bush was the last president to have served in the military during World War II. His experience in international diplomacy served him well as he dealt with the unraveling of the Soviet Union as an oppressive superpower, and later the rise of China as a commercial behemoth and potential partner.

His wife of 73 years, Barbara Pierce Bush, died April 17, 2018, at the age of 92. https://www.chron.com/national/article/Former-president-George-H-W-Bush-dies-at-age-94-12861301.php

I'm grateful that after the years of poor health, the former President is now at rest.

Hi Nota, the most admirable thing in the life of President Bush to me is his long marriage to Barbara. He sure didn't last long after her death. That is very common when two people have been one for so long and the first goes, the other follows shortly. A true love story. I remember in the past years both were hospitalized several times and on occasion both at the same time. Even ill, they would insist on being near the other as often as possible. They at times would be in two different hospital rooms and the one that could make it to the bedside of the other did so.

Their life certainly had its trials. The worst would be losing a child.

Rest in sweet peace President Bush.

Re: George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94.

George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94. How do you rank his life, his WWII service, both times at CIA and his presidency ?

His strong points were in foreign policy. He had weak points on economic policy, allowed himself to be talked into a tax increase. It was that and his complacency after achieving high approval ratings at the close of the the 1991 Gulf War that led to his being a one termer. He did not take the 1992 race seriously until it was too late.

Typically what happens with an elderly spouse dies, the other dies soon after.

Especially considering they were together for 73 years.

Interesting to see who will attend his funeral. I think Trump has to go... isn't that an obligation? Wonder how he will interact with Jeb.

Hopefully Jeb will interact okay with Trump. The 2016 race is over and making it about tensions between Jeb and Trump will dishonor his father.

I think there are three reasons why he didn't get re-elected on top of the fact that the economy was sluggish and more than 12 years of one party in the White House is rare

1) his no new taxes was not a LIE but merely a broken promise. He knew, I believe-that some of us on the right would punish him for that -maybe he mistakenly thought Dems would give him credit for compromising rather than hammering him for that. Maybe he didn't care about being reelected if he thought it was best for the country.

2) I know in the circles I travel in, his decision to ban the importation of some scary looking weapons when the Democrat Jihad against such firearms got going, cost him lots of NRA votes. That is why I voted libertarian in 1992.

3) and I think the most crucial thing was this: my late father-who was a prep school rival of Bush's and then knew him well in college made this observation to me when we watched that famous debate where Bush looked at his watch while Clinton rambled on -over the time limit for one question. My father noted Bush seemed to exude sort of an annoyance with the public: sort of like an attitude that here was a man who always put his country first. He almost died after volunteering for one of the single most dangerous jobs in WWII. He took over the CIA in its lowest point in history. he took over the GOP in its lowest point in history. And if the US Public could possibly entertain electing a guy with one tenth the resume he had, screw them. That is attitude my father picked up watching Bush carefully and I saw his point. Bush's attitude towards Clinton wasn't exactly oozing arrogance but rather almost a disbelief that a guy like Clinton could possibly act as if he was a legitimate challenger. And I think that hurt Bush the most.

I think the biggest single reason that he lost the race for a second term, was that he and the republican party failed to take the 1992 race seriously until it was too late. As I recall, the republican party in many states were in no hurry to open campaign headquarters. Bush had been riding high approval ratings at the end of the gulf war and did not see Bill Clinton as a real threat.

That's really sad, you know? But at the same time, it's kind of heartwarming, knowing that they will be together again.

2d3cfbc1-2ef8-43bc-8463-3afcc562cfd4-042518_Wednesday_GeorgeHWBushObit.jpg

RIP - a great man of public service who raised a great family of public servants. A man that America can truly be proud of - refreshing!!

The Good: George H.W. Bush was by all accounts a decent, honorable man; a loving father, husband, grandfather and great-grandfather; a war hero; a tireless public servant. He was a baseball guy, which endears me to him at least a little (OK A LOT). He was affable, especially as he aged; he was never condescending or nasty; I really do feel that GHWB was a good man all around. If I had to rank the presidents of my lifetime by how much I respect them (don't worry, I won't), I gotta say that I respected Bush a lot, even after things like Willie Horton that really jaded me against him early in my dawn of political awareness.

The Bad: He was the head of the CIA. He knowingly signed off on some pretty reprehensible **** that the U.S. did all over the world. I don't know if I can ever entirely forgive him for that.

The Interesting: George H.W. Bush is the only President, past or present, that I've ever been in close proximity to. I was maybe 15 feet away from him at the Baseball Hall of Fame inductions in 2003. People there LOVED him.

I do think he'll go down in history much as Jimmy Carter has; known more for their post-presidential accomplishments after nondescript, one-term presidencies. But honestly, I think that's a good thing. Bush, much like Carter, did exponentially more good after they left office than they did while in it, or that they would have been able to do if not for their four-year stints as Leader Of The Free World.

RIP, Poppy. You were a great American.
IMHO. Bush routinely abused his power and mislead the American public and covered-up his offenses.

All of the things we fear Trump will do in the Russia investigation, Bush Sr actually did during the Iran-Contra affair. He refused to go under oath, he refused to hand over documents, and then he pardoned his associates in exchange for their silence regarding his involvement.

Sorry, it's the truth.

He had redeeming qualities, but he also did things for which there are no excuses.

I think there are three reasons why he didn't get re-elected on top of the fact that the economy was sluggish and more than 12 years of one party in the White House is rare

1) his no new taxes was not a LIE but merely a broken promise. He knew, I believe-that some of us on the right would punish him for that -maybe he mistakenly thought Dems would give him credit for compromising rather than hammering him for that. Maybe he didn't care about being reelected if he thought it was best for the country.

2) I know in the circles I travel in, his decision to ban the importation of some scary looking weapons when the Democrat Jihad against such firearms got going, cost him lots of NRA votes. That is why I voted libertarian in 1992.

3) and I think the most crucial thing was this: my late father-who was a prep school rival of Bush's and then knew him well in college made this observation to me when we watched that famous debate where Bush looked at his watch while Clinton rambled on -over the time limit for one question. My father noted Bush seemed to exude sort of an annoyance with the public: sort of like an attitude that here was a man who always put his country first. He almost died after volunteering for one of the single most dangerous jobs in WWII. He took over the CIA in its lowest point in history. he took over the GOP in its lowest point in history. And if the US Public could possibly entertain electing a guy with one tenth the resume he had, screw them. That is attitude my father picked up watching Bush carefully and I saw his point. Bush's attitude towards Clinton wasn't exactly oozing arrogance but rather almost a disbelief that a guy like Clinton could possibly act as if he was a legitimate challenger. And I think that hurt Bush the most.
As we talked about before, it's rare for any one party to have control of anything for long.

Eventually, people want change for the sake of change, good or bad.

Agree or disagree with any of what he might have done in his presidency, given his resume, he was the last American President that could be described as a statesman.

Well you can't call the current thing a 'statesman'.

Good to see trump paid his respects.

"Trump says Bush death puts 'damper' on Xi trade talks dinner"

I remember trump attacking the war hero when he too refused to endorse him. He attacked the entire Bush family because they didn't kiss his boots. Well except Jeb's half-hispanic son. He worships trump. Should be an interesting state funeral.

trump has been invited and we all know he will probably make the entire event all about himself.

I remember trump attacking the war hero when he too refused to endorse him. He attacked the entire Bush family because they didn't kiss his boots. Well except Jeb's half-hispanic son. He worships trump. Should be an interesting state funeral.

trump has been invited and we all know he will probably make the entire event all about himself.

Thus a great display that GHW Bush is far classier than Donnie Trump will ever be.

RIP Only president I've seen in person. I wasn't fond of his Desert Storm adventure and perhaps it was one factor that led me to leave the Army after 10 years. The time I saw him in person was soon after I'd left the Army and he was campaigning for reelection. He gave what I would have to objectively judge as a pretty good stump speech at the State Fair. Didn't agree with much of it, but it was a good performance. Better politician than I would have given him credit for.

Agree or disagree with any of what he might have done in his presidency, given his resume, he was the last American President that could be described as a statesman.

Best post! :thumbs:

Is it wrong I'm thinking of his presidency as a better, saner time?

I mean I wasn't into politics (hell I couldn't vote) at the time, but I haven't heard the plethora of bad **** escalating through Clinton, Bush 2, slacking off a bit with Obama, and now returning revitalized with Trump.

Well, for the most part, he concentrated a lot of the Gulf war (number 1). His domestic policies were lagging, and we were in a recession that was continually denied by his administration. A lot of that recession was fall out from Reaganomics, and he bore the brunt of it. The main issue is he was in denial about it happening at all, and how bad it was. I think it was his denial that it was happening at all for a long time that caused him to be a one term president.

IMHO. Bush routinely abused his power and mislead the American public and covered-up his offenses.

All of the things we fear Trump will do in the Russia investigation, Bush Sr actually did during the Iran-Contra affair. He refused to go under oath, he refused to hand over documents, and then he pardoned his associates in exchange for their silence regarding his involvement.

Sorry, it's the truth.

He had redeeming qualities, but he also did things for which there are no excuses.

You’re not wrong.

Interesting to see who will attend his funeral. I think Trump has to go... isn't that an obligation? Wonder how he will interact with Jeb.

Probably not a lot of interaction. Jeb is very low energy.

3) and I think the most crucial thing was this: my late father-who was a prep school rival of Bush's...
That reminded me of a picture I saw, many years ago, sometime in the 90's.

I was going through some old stuff my brother had, after my uncle had passed. There was a picture of him, in what I believe was his eight grade class. All, preppy boys with jackets with a fancy crest on it. Not a lot of kids in the class. I look at all the other kids, and one of them is George H. W. Bush. Never heard a thing about it before.

That reminded me of a picture I saw, many years ago, sometime in the 90's.

I was going through some old stuff my brother had, after my uncle had passed. There was a picture of him, in what I believe was his eight grade class. All, preppy boys with jackets with a fancy crest on it. Not a lot of kids in the class. I look at all the other kids, and one of them is George H. W. Bush. Never heard a thing about it before.

was probably before he went to Phillips Andover Academy in Andover Mass-it starts at 9th grade and was probably where he went before that-Greenwich Country Day

Well, for the most part, he concentrated a lot of the Gulf war (number 1). His domestic policies were lagging, and we were in a recession that was continually denied by his administration. A lot of that recession was fall out from Reaganomics, and he bore the brunt of it. The main issue is he was in denial about it happening at all, and how bad it was. I think it was his denial that it was happening at all for a long time that caused him to be a one term president.
Bush 1 did plenty of terrible things, but the kind lens of human memory and the current madness of Trump makes him appear nice.

Back
Top Bottom