• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Former President George H.W. Bush Dies At 94

Re: George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94.

Bush's attitude towards Clinton wasn't exactly oozing arrogance but rather almost a disbelief that a guy like Clinton could possibly act as if he was a legitimate challenger. And I think that hurt Bush the most.

Bush did kind of seem to act entitled to a second term since HE WON A WAR and what the **** is this old hippie from Arkansas doing postponing my party? A rare moment of hubris from him.

Re: [R.I.P.] Former president George H.W. Bush dies at age 94

Yes Ma'am said the exact same thing when I told her. She had an aunt and uncle that were married for 78 years, and the wife followed the husband in less than a month after he passed. All she could talk about was how she wanted to be back with him again in heaven.

That's really sad, you know? But at the same time, it's kind of heartwarming, knowing that they will be together again.

The Good: George H.W. Bush was by all accounts a decent, honorable man; a loving father, husband, grandfather and great-grandfather; a war hero; a tireless public servant. He was a baseball guy, which endears me to him at least a little (OK A LOT). He was affable, especially as he aged; he was never condescending or nasty; I really do feel that GHWB was a good man all around. If I had to rank the presidents of my lifetime by how much I respect them (don't worry, I won't), I gotta say that I respected Bush a lot, even after things like Willie Horton that really jaded me against him early in my dawn of political awareness.

The Bad: He was the head of the CIA. He knowingly signed off on some pretty reprehensible **** that the U.S. did all over the world. I don't know if I can ever entirely forgive him for that.

The Interesting: George H.W. Bush is the only President, past or present, that I've ever been in close proximity to. I was maybe 15 feet away from him at the Baseball Hall of Fame inductions in 2003. People there LOVED him.

I do think he'll go down in history much as Jimmy Carter has; known more for their post-presidential accomplishments after nondescript, one-term presidencies. But honestly, I think that's a good thing. Bush, much like Carter, did exponentially more good after they left office than they did while in it, or that they would have been able to do if not for their four-year stints as Leader Of The Free World.

RIP, Poppy. You were a great American.

Nice post, Kobie.

When one says something kind and respectful upon a former leader’s death, it does not mean one loves everything that person did. But it is right and good and American to honor service and character, especially these days, when it seems in such short supply. IMHO.
-Preet Bahrara

America has lost a patriot and humble servant in George Herbert Walker Bush. While our hearts are heavy today, they are also filled with gratitude. Our thoughts are with the entire Bush family tonight – and all who were inspired by George and Barbara’s example.
-Barack Obama

So long to President George H W Bush, one of the best presidents of the post-WW2 era. His long record of service to the United States stands above most other presidents. I was very disappointed when he wasn't re-elected in 1992, because he was obviously the better man.

He was a good man, he brought respect to the office. He served his country with honor in the military and as a senator, vice president and president.

We would be a better country if a man like him were in office today.

A class act.

Last edited:
Another great encompassing figure from my early years passes on. Another member of the Greatest generation leaves us, and what was once part of our living memory becomes history.

It puts me in the mind of A.E. Housman's poem:

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

May you rest in contentment and peace with Barbara, Mr. President.

God's speed, President Bush. Rest in peace, and condolences to the Bush family at their loss.

Out of the last five GOP president's, he was IMO the best of them, as a president and as a person. May he RIP. At least him and his wife lived very long lives, many people aren't so lucky.

I’d like to share a story about former President Bush. In 1999 a tragedy occurred in my community, which he and Barbara rather adopted. The former President had just landed in Europe, but when he heard the terrible news, he ordered the plane back into the air and immediately flew here in time to be present for the memorial service the next day.

He abandoned his European meetings and came here, a community most of the world hasn't heard of, adding his Presidential dignity and solemnity to the memorial service. Although he could have spoken and focused all the attention on himself, he instead chose to simply sit on the stage with other dignitaries who were lesser in the world’s eyes and let them speak. I will never forget this—his respect and his understanding that this wasn’t about him.

I don’t think the world knew until later that he had even been here. But he was. The accolades have already begun to pour in about his achievements and his service to his country, but what he did for us that night had nothing to do with any of that; it was about a genuine selflessness and loyalty of which too few people are possessed.

Some may boast of prowess bold, but what George H.W. Bush did was truly grand and speaks to the real measure of the man.

I’d like to share a story about former President Bush. In 1999 a tragedy occurred in my community, which he and Barbara rather adopted. The former President had just landed in Europe, but when he heard the terrible news, he ordered the plane back into the air and immediately flew here in time to be present for the memorial service the next day.

He abandoned his European meetings and came here, a community most of the world hasn't heard of, adding his Presidential dignity and solemnity to the memorial service. Although he could have spoken and focused all the attention on himself, he instead chose to simply sit on the stage with other dignitaries who were lesser in the world’s eyes and let them speak. I will never forget this—his respect and his understanding that this wasn’t about him.

I don’t think the world knew until later that he had even been here. But he was. The accolades have already begun to pour in about his achievements and his service to his country, but what he did for us that night had nothing to do with any of that; it was about a genuine selflessness and loyalty of which too few people are possessed.

Some may boast of prowess bold, but what George H.W. Bush did was truly grand and speaks to the real measure of the man.
Edit:
-------

I did not see that he is dead.

This is the last guy we had in the post who understood the majesty of the position.

Last edited:
Poppy Bush represented the last vestige of the Reagan Revolution. After his son, George W, kicked the Neocons to the curb towards the end of his presidency, I had a short-lived hope that the GOP would come back.

Whether you agreed or disagreed with Bush, you could count on his honesty. I voted for him twice.

One more thing about Bush. He carried on a peculiar political tradition, which was a carryover from Reagan's presidency. While Reagan was in office, he and Tip O'Neill fought each other every day, but at the end of many days, you would find them sitting down and having a beer together, chatting and enjoying each others' company. Bush also did this with members from the other side. This tradition ended when Clinton became president. When Bush left office, civility went out the window.

RIP, Mr. President.

Bush did kind of seem to act entitled to a second term since HE WON A WAR and what the **** is this old hippie from Arkansas doing postponing my party? A rare moment of hubris from him.

It makes it even funnier that later in life the two of them became friends and did a lot of nonprofit work together. When I was stationed in Mexico I helped coordinate a visit by both of them on a joint visit. They were both former Presidents at the time. They got along fabulously. Bill was very attentive to George.

Poppy Bush represented the last vestige of the Reagan Revolution. After his son, George W, kicked the Neocons to the curb towards the end of his presidency, I had a short-lived hope that the GOP would come back.

Whether you agreed or disagreed with Bush, you could count on his honesty. I voted for him twice.

One more thing about Bush. He carried on a peculiar political tradition, which was a carryover from Reagan's presidency. While Reagan was in office, he and Tip O'Neill fought each other every day, but at the end of many days, you would find them sitting down and having a beer together, chatting and enjoying each others' company. Bush also did this with members from the other side. This tradition ended when Clinton became president. When Bush left office, civility went out the window.

RIP, Mr. President.

Once Clinton won in 92, and attempted to put together a national health scheme, partisanship has ruled. The Right never got over Clinton pissing on their 12 year party. Then Newt came along and any hope of the two sides working together went out the window.

It makes it even funnier that later in life the two of them became friends and did a lot of nonprofit work together. When I was stationed in Mexico I helped coordinate a visit by both of them on a joint visit. They were both former Presidents at the time. They got along fabulously. Bill was very attentive to George.

Those were the days, man.

Once Clinton won in 92, and attempted to put together a national health scheme, partisanship has ruled. The Right never got over Clinton pissing on their 12 year party. Then Newt came along and any hope of the two sides working together went out the window.

Rush Limbaugh is as much to blame as anyone for that fracture.

I am so sad. I loved Poppy Bush. Voted for him every chance I got, and was damned annoyed that some upstart named Clinton stole a second term in office from him.

He and Barbara were class acts to the end. Their loss is America's loss; they were true patriots, who loved this country, serving it with truth and dignity.

Rest in peace, Poppy. There will never be another quite like you. :(

Because you decided to use his passing to attack President Clinton I will now happily ask that I hope GWH Bush does the same thing as his wife;- NOT INVITE the orange douchebag to his funeral.

Has anyone mentioned the Kurds who were slaughtered by Saddam after they uprose after Bush had promised them he'd protect them if they did?

Those were the days, man.

Bush and his wife became more decent towards the end. When he and Barbara refused to vote for trump in 2016 , I thought why didn't they behaved like this all the time?

Well they are both in Heaven now because they finally did the right thing.

And I hope GWH Bush does the noble thing like his wife and John McCain did. DO NOT ALLOW THE TRUMPS at your funeral.

He will not only make the funeral into a trump circus but he will dishonour and disrespect your legacy.

Because you decided to use his passing to attack President Clinton I will now happily ask that I hope GWH Bush does the same thing as his wife;- NOT INVITE the orange douchebag to his funeral.

ROFL! I didn't attack Clinton, as you well know if you have a passing comprehension of the English language. At the time, I didn't know who the hell Clinton was, and was extremely fond of Poppy Bush, so I voted for him. Four years later, I voted for Clinton.

Seriously, do you always charge into a new forum with a shoulder-guided RPG before you have even the slightest understanding of who other forum inhabitants actually are? BTW, this is a RIP thread; you may want to look up what that actually means and tone down your partisan snark.

I was too young to really pay any attention to politics when he was in office, but he's seemed like a classy guy since he's been out. At 94, this is hardly unexpected, but still sad. I hope he's at peace, and I hope is family can find peace as well.

Has anyone mentioned the Kurds who were slaughtered by Saddam after they uprose after Bush had promised them he'd protect them if they did?

Good point. There is the positive which is that the US imposed no-fly zone to the North has now become (after many Kurds moved there for safety) semi autonomous regions seeking independence. I accept that's no sop to those who died.

Nonetheless, R.I.P Mr Bush.

Back
Top Bottom