• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Former President George H.W. Bush Dies At 94

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
He was excellent at foreign policy

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/423556608/former-president-george-h-w-bush-dies-at-94

George H.W. Bush was the definition of establishment success: Yale graduate. Prosperous business career. Forty-first president of the United States.

But to one admittedly biased observer, the elder Bush has always been shortchanged.

"As a result of him being a one-term president, historians hadn't paid much attention to him," George W. Bush told NPR in a 2014 interview. He called his father "one of the greatest one-term presidents in the nation's history."

George Herbert Walker Bush died Friday at the age of 94. He had been hospitalized for low blood pressure and fatigue in May, a week after arriving in Maine to spend the summer.

George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94.

George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94. How do you rank his life, his WWII service, both times at CIA and his presidency ?

Fair winds and following seas; Rest in peace.

[R.I.P.] Former president George H.W. Bush dies at age 94

From the Houston Chronicle:

George Herbert Walker Bush, whose lone term as the 41st president of the United States ushered in the final days of the Cold War and perpetuated a family political dynasty that influenced American politics at both the national and state levels for decades, has died. He was 94.

Bush was the last president to have served in the military during World War II. His experience in international diplomacy served him well as he dealt with the unraveling of the Soviet Union as an oppressive superpower, and later the rise of China as a commercial behemoth and potential partner.

His wife of 73 years, Barbara Pierce Bush, died April 17, 2018, at the age of 92. https://www.chron.com/national/article/Former-president-George-H-W-Bush-dies-at-age-94-12861301.php

I'm grateful that after the years of poor health, the former President is now at rest.

Agree or disagree with any of what he might have done in his presidency, given his resume, he was the last American President that could be described as a statesman.

Re: [R.I.P.] Former president George H.W. Bush dies at age 94

George Herbert Walker Bush, whose lone term as the 41st president of the United States ushered in the final days of the Cold War and perpetuated a family political dynasty that influenced American politics at both the national and state levels for decades, has died. He was 94.

Bush was the last president to have served in the military during World War II. His experience in international diplomacy served him well as he dealt with the unraveling of the Soviet Union as an oppressive superpower, and later the rise of China as a commercial behemoth and potential partner.

His wife of 73 years, Barbara Pierce Bush, died April 17, 2018, at the age of 92. https://www.chron.com/national/article/Former-president-George-H-W-Bush-dies-at-age-94-12861301.php

I'm grateful that after the years of poor health, the former President is now at rest.

Sad news. I knew he wouldn't last long after Barbara left.

Not unexpected, but sad news.

Typically what happens with an elderly spouse dies, the other dies soon after.

a truly decent man. Few people in US history had as impressive a resume as that man.

I am so sad. I loved Poppy Bush. Voted for him every chance I got, and was damned annoyed that some upstart named Clinton stole a second term in office from him.

He and Barbara were class acts to the end. Their loss is America's loss; they were true patriots, who loved this country, serving it with truth and dignity.

Rest in peace, Poppy. There will never be another quite like you. :(

Very Sad News. Barbara is welcoming him home.

A true American HERO.

George Bush Rescued at Sea by the USS Finback - 02 September 1944:

Interesting to see who will attend his funeral. I think Trump has to go... isn't that an obligation? Wonder how he will interact with Jeb.

Interesting to see who will attend his funeral. I think Trump has to go... isn't that an obligation? Wonder how he will interact with Jeb.

Don't, man. Don't do that ****.

Sad news. I knew he wouldn't last long after Barbara left.

Yes Ma'am said the exact same thing when I told her. She had an aunt and uncle that were married for 78 years, and the wife followed the husband in less than a month after he passed. All she could talk about was how she wanted to be back with him again in heaven.

Agree or disagree with any of what he might have done in his presidency, given his resume, he was the last American President that could be described as a statesman.

agreed, he was the last president that had the sort of resume I think one should have to be president

I am so sad. I loved Poppy Bush. Voted for him every chance I got, and was damned annoyed that some upstart named Clinton stole a second term in office from him.

He and Barbara were class acts to the end. Their loss is America's loss; they were true patriots, who loved this country, serving it with truth and dignity.

Hear, hear.

what a wonderful post. Even hard core liberal friends of mine working for Dem senators or clerking for Dem USSC Justices all said he and his late wife were wonderful people to deal with

George H.W. Bush was an example of a Republican President whom I could honestly say if he got re-elected, he might have done some things I disagreed with, but he wouldn't take this country to the brink. He knew how to get us into a war, **** up the enemy, and quickly get the hell out. And for the horrible "crime" of admitting that, yes, taxes did need to go up, he was not re-elected.

R.I.P. to the last sane Republican President we've had.

You nailed my thoughts, exactly Di. I voted for him too and was sad when he lost his reelection bid.

Last edited:
Re: George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94.

George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94. How do you rank his life, his WWII service, both times at CIA and his presidency ?

I just send him off with a RIP and hoping if there is a world beyond this? He's with his soul mate.

The Good: George H.W. Bush was by all accounts a decent, honorable man; a loving father, husband, grandfather and great-grandfather; a war hero; a tireless public servant. He was a baseball guy, which endears me to him at least a little (OK A LOT). He was affable, especially as he aged; he was never condescending or nasty; I really do feel that GHWB was a good man all around. If I had to rank the presidents of my lifetime by how much I respect them (don't worry, I won't), I gotta say that I respected Bush a lot, even after things like Willie Horton that really jaded me against him early in my dawn of political awareness.

The Bad: He was the head of the CIA. He knowingly signed off on some pretty reprehensible **** that the U.S. did all over the world. I don't know if I can ever entirely forgive him for that.

The Interesting: George H.W. Bush is the only President, past or present, that I've ever been in close proximity to. I was maybe 15 feet away from him at the Baseball Hall of Fame inductions in 2003. People there LOVED him.

I do think he'll go down in history much as Jimmy Carter has; known more for their post-presidential accomplishments after nondescript, one-term presidencies. But honestly, I think that's a good thing. Bush, much like Carter, did exponentially more good after they left office than they did while in it, or that they would have been able to do if not for their four-year stints as Leader Of The Free World.

RIP, Poppy. You were a great American.

A great American; an honorable man; a statesman; a leader; an American patriot of the highest order.

Like his politics or not, he was cutout for the Presidency. America will be great again when more people like GHW Bush are running for the White House.

RIP.

Re: George H. W. Bush...is dead at 94.

Moderator's Warning:
Merging with the other thread.

George H.W. Bush was an example of a Republican President whom I could honestly say if he got re-elected, he might have done some things I disagreed with, but he wouldn't take this country to the brink. He knew how to get us into a war, **** up the enemy, and quickly get the hell out. And for the horrible "crime" of admitting that, yes, taxes did need to go up, he was not re-elected.

R.I.P. to the last sane Republican President we've had.

I think there are three reasons why he didn't get re-elected on top of the fact that the economy was sluggish and more than 12 years of one party in the White House is rare

1) his no new taxes was not a LIE but merely a broken promise. He knew, I believe-that some of us on the right would punish him for that -maybe he mistakenly thought Dems would give him credit for compromising rather than hammering him for that. Maybe he didn't care about being reelected if he thought it was best for the country.

2) I know in the circles I travel in, his decision to ban the importation of some scary looking weapons when the Democrat Jihad against such firearms got going, cost him lots of NRA votes. That is why I voted libertarian in 1992.

3) and I think the most crucial thing was this: my late father-who was a prep school rival of Bush's and then knew him well in college made this observation to me when we watched that famous debate where Bush looked at his watch while Clinton rambled on -over the time limit for one question. My father noted Bush seemed to exude sort of an annoyance with the public: sort of like an attitude that here was a man who always put his country first. He almost died after volunteering for one of the single most dangerous jobs in WWII. He took over the CIA in its lowest point in history. he took over the GOP in its lowest point in history. And if the US Public could possibly entertain electing a guy with one tenth the resume he had, screw them. That is attitude my father picked up watching Bush carefully and I saw his point. Bush's attitude towards Clinton wasn't exactly oozing arrogance but rather almost a disbelief that a guy like Clinton could possibly act as if he was a legitimate challenger. And I think that hurt Bush the most.

A great American; an honorable man; a statesman; a leader; an American patriot of the highest order.

Like his politics or not, he was cutout for the Presidency. America will be great again when more people like GHW Bush are running for the White House.

RIP.

I'll drink to that. His faults aside, one thing he was not in ANY FASHION, more than any president from Reagan to now, was an ideologue.

Back
Top Bottom