• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Perry aide paid for aborted Green Party petition effort

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
More news in the Texas war, and a war it is. This may very well be the most interesting governor's race the US has seen in a decade.

Mike Toomey, a lobbyist and former chief of staff to Gov. Rick Perry, personally paid for an aborted effort to qualify the Green Party of Texas for the ballot, according to court testimony Thursday morning.

Yes, the Republican party is attempting subversion once again. Perry supporters remember that he won the governorship last time with only about 37% of the vote, and they are behind the effort to dilute blue votes by subterfuge. Democrats, of course, are screaming foul. Yet, there is another wrinkle to this development:

Another subsequent petition gathering campaign, paid for by an out-of-state corporation called Take Initiative America, did get the requisite signatures to get the party on the ballot. It is unclear where the money for that $500,000 effort came from.

It is being charged that Republicans were behind this one too. However, let me make a couple of points:

1) The Green Party never knew about these Republican efforts, so it is not their fault.

2) The Green Party in Texas does NOT take corporate funding whatsoever.

The way I see it, the Greens have a right to be on the ballot. I know, I know, it looks sick, but that is no reason to penalize honest people for the actions of dishonest people. I say put the Greens on the ballot.

Here is how it will turn out if Greens are allowed to be on the ballot - Perry will still lose, proving once again, that the Texas GOP is not only dishonest, but as dumb as a box of rocks as well, for throwing their money down the drain like they are surely doing.

Bill White is going to win this year. You heard it from me. But, he is not going to win because he is Bill White. He is only going to win because Perry is one of the most dishonest and despicable governors in the history of Texas.

Perry ranks right up there with E. J. Davis who, after losing his election to John Coulter (No relation to Ann, thank God :mrgreen:) in the 1800's, barricaded himself in the governor's mansion, and put troops around it so that he could not be forced to vacate the office he lost. In the middle of the night, Coulter's people snuck in by scaling the walls of the mansion, and arrested Davis, then kicked him out. Granted, Perry is not going to go to such lengths in order to stay governor, after losing the election, but this year is going to be almost as entertaining as the E. J. Davis saga. You can count on that.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Rick. LOL.

Article is here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom