• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg for president?

OldFatGuy

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
As the field of Democrat contenders burgeons, Mike Bloomberg has announced his possible intent to campaign for the job. He previously stated he was prepared to spend $80 mil of his own money to get the job. Today, after a scathing denunciation of Trump:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9a09ff1e2a1_story.html?utm_term=.34fc9410e31f

Mike made the following announcement:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politic...ed-to-sell-namesake-firm-for-presidential-run

While denounced by some for his nanny state views, Mike did a credible job as Mayor of NYC for 12 years, considered by many as the toughest job in the country after the presidency. Without a doubt he left the city in far better shape than he found it when he first took office. He's not perfect, but he offers more than the current other contenders in the Democratic Party. He's no dark horse and should be taken very seriously.

Last edited:
nope. too many negatives.

No more New York billionaires, please.

He runs, he wins, he governs. Watch and learn.

Born and raised in Massachusetts by immigrant parents, he created one of the financial world's most important media empires from scratch. The American Dream after a house with a white picket fence. There is no more able contender in the field, and he can work with both parties. So what if he thinks Americans should reduce their sugar intake? He's right. And no fake hair. He's a real philanthropist, a man for the people, all the people. He tears down walls.

He runs, he wins, he governs. Watch and learn.

Born and raised in Massachusetts by immigrant parents, he created one of the financial world's most important media empires from scratch. The American Dream after a house with a white picket fence. There is no more able contender in the field, and he can work with both parties. So what if he thinks Americans should reduce their sugar intake? He's right. And no fake hair. He's a real philanthropist, a man for the people, all the people. He tears down walls.

running on a platform of banning soda means that we get another four years of the orange fool. no thanks.

running on a platform of banning soda means that we get another four years of the orange fool. no thanks.

And he's against legalizing cannabis, that' a big no for me.

If the dems were smart they would grab the legalize cannabis banner.

And he's against legalizing cannabis, that' a big no for me.

If the dems were smart they would grab the legalize cannabis banner.

that wouldn't currently be a sure fire path to victory, IMO, but being a neoprohibitionist is a non-starter with the progressives that he'd need to win. Bloomberg is probably not a viable presidential candidate.

that wouldn't currently be a sure fire path to victory, IMO, but being a neoprohibitionist is a non-starter with the progressives that he'd need to win. Bloomberg is probably not a viable presidential candidate.

Me neither. This is going to sound funny but he has almost the same image to a lot of folks trump had, rich elite. I personally think it's time to stop putting wealthy people in positions of power.

Me neither. This is going to sound funny but he has almost the same image to a lot of folks trump had, rich elite. I personally think it's time to stop putting wealthy people in positions of power.

I agree with that and to go further, this country needs a leader who is a genuine progressive, which Bloomberg is not.

However, as his history as a mayor and a philanthropist who not only gives money, but also gets heavily involved in charitable efforts, he has proven that he is a man who knows how to get things done. Maybe, just maybe, what we need more than a progressive leader is one who can show the american people that government can get things done.

i'll admit that i'm getting tired of that, too. i don't doubt that some of the neofeudal royalty might care about making things better for workers, but most don't seem to, and the rest seem to just want to make things better for themselves.

Rest assured, that won't be on his platform. Comparing Bloomberg to Trump is like comparing Shakespeare to a tawdry dime novel on the airport racks. On the way out.

It wasn't a ban, it was special tax proposed by one of the city council members to discourage drinking sugared soft drinks. Bloomberg endorsed it as part of the fight against obesity. It was soundly defeated during a council vote. The Big Gulp survived. Pelosi endorsed a similar bill for the state of California, it also failed despite the backing of Governor Schwarzenberger. Both bills gained attention in the media for the obvious over reach of government, attaining exaggerated mythical status in the minds of the gullible. This is why we all need to look beyond the superficial.

Rest assured, that won't be on his platform. Comparing Bloomberg to Trump is like comparing Shakespeare to a tawdry dime novel on the airport racks. On the way out.

It wasn't a ban, it was special tax proposed by one of the city council members to discourage drinking sugared soft drinks. Bloomberg endorsed it as part of the fight against obesity. It was soundly defeated during a council vote. The Big Gulp survived. Pelosi endorsed a similar bill for the state of California, it also failed despite the backing of Governor Schwarzenberger. Both bills gained attention in the media for the obvious over reach of government, attaining exaggerated mythical status in the minds of the gullible. This is why we all need to look beyond the superficial.

i could barely vote for Clinton to keep Trump away from the presidency. i honestly don't know if i could vote for Bloomberg in the same situation.

i'll admit that i'm getting tired of that, too. i don't doubt that some of the neofeudal royalty might care about making things better for workers, but most don't seem to, and the rest seem to just want to make things better for themselves.

Read those links I posted, you might be surprised. When he was mayor, he placed his company in a blind trust. He's prepared to divest the company if he runs. As the 8th wealthiest man in the nation, he recognizes he doesn't need more wealth. Now show us a stronger more able contender with a can do history.

Read those links I posted, you might be surprised. When he was mayor, he placed his company in a blind trust. He's prepared to divest the company if he runs. As the 8th wealthiest man in the nation, he recognizes he doesn't need more wealth. Now show us a stronger more able contender with a can do history.

i know enough about him. i've followed his nanny moves since the early 2000s. there's enough libertarian left in me that i don't think i can pull the lever for him. he needs to go swim in his money room like Scrooge McDuck and delight in not smoking or drinking soda.

i know enough about him. i've followed his nanny moves since the early 2000s. there's enough libertarian left in me that i don't think i can pull the lever for him. he needs to go swim in his money room like Scrooge McDuck and delight in not smoking or drinking soda.

Make your decisions after you see all the other candidates and evaluate them all.

I recall JFK calling for national improvements for physical education in our schools, Nixon and daddy Bush doing the same. LBJ and Carter suggesting nutrition studies, and certainly, the ACA is a nanny state move. It is a responsibility of government to protect its citizens, even from themselves, the questions are degrees of intrusiveness. Perhaps we should drop all sin taxes and promote cigarette consumption?

These are relatively minor issues and objections. The far greater questions about quality of administration skills, proved experience, type and quality of advisor selection, suggested policies during the campaigns and so forth demand more from each of us.

As the field of Democrat contenders burgeons, Mike Bloomberg has announced his possible intent to campaign for the job. He previously stated he was prepared to spend $80 mil of his own money to get the job. Today, after a scathing denunciation of Trump:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...9a09ff1e2a1_story.html?utm_term=.34fc9410e31f

Mike made the following announcement:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politic...ed-to-sell-namesake-firm-for-presidential-run

While denounced by some for his nanny state views, Mike did a credible job as Mayor of NYC for 12 years, considered by many as the toughest job in the country after the presidency. Without a doubt he left the city in far better shape than he found it when he first took office. He's not perfect, but he offers more than the current other contenders in the Democratic Party. He's no dark horse and should be taken very seriously.

Red:
Truly, I've neither performed nor seen others' "trait-by-trait" analysis of what Mike offers in comparison to any other specific Dem candidates do. Perhaps you'd care to share your analysis in that regard?

Make your decisions after you see all the other candidates and evaluate them all.

I recall JFK calling for national improvements for physical education in our schools, Nixon and daddy Bush doing the same. LBJ and Carter suggesting nutrition studies, and certainly, the ACA is a nanny state move. It is a responsibility of government to protect its citizens, even from themselves, the questions are degrees of intrusiveness. Perhaps we should drop all sin taxes and promote cigarette consumption?

These are relatively minor issues and objections. The far greater questions about quality of administration skills, proved experience, type and quality of advisor selection, suggested policies during the campaigns and so forth demand more from each of us.

there's a difference between promoting a policy improvement and being a disconnected spoiled billionaire nanny who gets off on trying to prevent others from engaging in his own previous bad habits.

oh, look. he also doesn't like alcohol when he's not the one consuming it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/11/mayor-bloomberg-plans-to-limit-alcohol_n_1199100.html

no thanks.

there's a difference between promoting a policy improvement and being a disconnected spoiled billionaire nanny who gets off on trying to prevent others from engaging in his own previous bad habits.

oh, look. he also doesn't like alcohol when he's not the one consuming it.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/11/mayor-bloomberg-plans-to-limit-alcohol_n_1199100.html

no thanks.

That's a bottle of Diet New York Coffee Soda. The Huff blew it again. He drinks it often. I've 4 bottles in the fridge. Nothing like rushing to judgment. Big f'n deal even if it was an occasional beer. I'm also against excessive alcohol consumption, but I love my wine, an occasional beer and I'm partial to 20 year old Tawny Port.

Does being a billionaire eliminate a candidate? I'd rather have a billionaire in the office than a grasping greedy Clinton. Michelle looks good in her $4k thigh high leather boots.

So far you offer mundane excuses. Show me a better candidate.

That's a bottle of Diet New York Coffee Soda. The Huff blew it again. He drinks it often. I've 4 bottles in the fridge. Nothing like rushing to judgment. Big f'n deal even if it was an occasional beer. I'm also against excessive alcohol consumption, but I love my wine, an occasional beer and I'm partial to 20 year old Tawny Port.

Does being a billionaire eliminate a candidate? I'd rather have a billionaire in the office than a grasping greedy Clinton. Michelle looks good in her $4k thigh high leather boots.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...rg-plans-drink-beer-at-thursdays-knicks-game/

i haven't chosen the anti-Trumpist candidate who i support the most yet.

Not mundane excuses. Dishonest excuses

Back
Top Bottom