• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former National Guardsman accused of plotting attack to support ISIS

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...hp_hp-more-top-stories_no-name:homepage/story

A former member of the Army National Guard living in Sterling, Va., is accused of trying to plan a domestic terrorist attack on behalf of the Islamic State.

Mohamad Bailor Jalloh was arrested Sunday and charged with attempting to provide material support to the terrorist organization, according to papers filed in federal court in the Eastern District of Virginia.

Jalloh, a native of Sierra Leone, is a U.S. citizen. He quit the National Guard after listening to the lectures of deceased radical Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, according to court documents, and became involved in planning a terrorist attack on U.S. soil.
While the FBI and other agencies can never catch them all, it is apparent they nab quite a few.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...hp_hp-more-top-stories_no-name:homepage/story

While the FBI and other agencies can never catch them all, it is apparent they nab quite a few.

The FBI does in fact catch the majority of these guys, sources at the FBI suggest that they're having to ignore other criminals in order to spend all their time trying to catch potential Muslim terrorists. They've become the Muslim Terrorist Task Force due to our insane immigration practices of the past 30 years.

Kudos to the FBI. It shows that wannabe terrorists can be stopped before they do harm.

Awlaki’s rhetoric has been linked to several terrorist attacks and plots even after he was killed by a U.S. drone strike in Yemen in 2011. Hasan developed a relationship with the cleric after hearing him lecture at the Dar al-Hijrah mosque in Northern Virginia. And Omar Mateen, who killed 49 people in a nightclub in Orlando last month, had watched videos of Awlaki.

Awlaki is still recruiting from the grave. So how come the US can't censor Awlaki's online videos and lectures in the US?

Kudos to the FBI. It shows that wannabe terrorists can be stopped before they do harm.

Awlaki is still recruiting from the grave. So how come the US can't censor Awlaki's online videos and lectures in the US?

First Amendment.

First Amendment.

I don't think the first amendment protects speech that incites violence against the US....or the rights of dead people. Which is why I'm wondering why Awlaki's videos and lectures can't be censored.

I don't think the first amendment protects speech that incites violence against the US....or the rights of dead people. Which is why I'm wondering why Awlaki's videos and lectures can't be censored.

People have the right to publish them. Freedom of the press as well as speech.

People have the right to publish them. Freedom of the press as well as speech.

I think there are limits to free speech that incites violence or law breaking...

Is all speech protected?

The First Amendment protects your right to express your opinion, even if it's unpopular. You may criticize the President, the Congress, or the chief of police without fear of retaliation. But this right doesn't extend to libel, slander, obscenity, "true threats," or speech that incites imminent violence or law-breaking. If you grab a megaphone during a riot and yell "shoot the cop" or "loot the shop," you may reasonably expect trouble.

Can I talk about government overthrow or taking over the streets?

Yes, for the most part. In the 1940s and '50s, suspected subversives or Communists were often charged with 'incitement to illegal activity' and convicted. Subsequent courts have interpreted the government's ability to prohibit speech as incitement more narrowly. The government can't stop you from talking generally about ideas or future events. But it may ban speech that’s "directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.'

https://www.aclunc.org/our-work/know-your-rights/free-speech-protests-demonstrations

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imminent_lawless_action

Innocent until proven guilty.

It amazes me just how many people forget that.

How did he "quit the National Guard?" That was not an option when I was in the NG.

It's not that hard now since many branches are trying to downsize and give a general discharge to just about anyone who wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did he "quit the National Guard?" That was not an option when I was in the NG.

Another question is why didn't he get deployed overseas with the rest of his unit?

It's not that hard now since many branches are trying to downsize and give a general discharge to just about anyone who wants it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come to thing of it George Bush walked away from the NG but I'm sure his daddy helped there.

Proves once again that this isn't just a sliver faction of Muslims. This is a widespread epidemic of a problem.

Hitlers crap and a lot of white supremacist garbage is also available. The price of a free society. I have no problem with profiling.

Back
Top Bottom