• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former NASA Astronaut Says Getting Stopped by Police as a Black Man Is Scarier Than Going to Space

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Leland Melvin has logged more than 565 hours in space, gone on two separate missions to help build the International Space Station and traveled around Earth at 17,500 miles per hour — but none of that compares to the fear and anxiety he feels while being pulled over by a police officer.

While speaking on a panel Monday about Black lives in the space industry as part of the 2020 Virtual Humans to Mars Summit, the former NASA astronaut, who is Black, revealed he always felt apprehensive about interacting with cops due to the color of his skin.

"I've been on this rocket with millions of pounds of thrust and not once was I afraid of going to space," Melvin, 56, shared, according to CNN. "It's when I've been stopped by police officers that I didn't even know ... I was starting to sweat and just holding the steering wheel really hard."

"Every father in the Black community has a conversation with their son to tell them that if you get stopped by an officer... you assume the position, which is 10-2 [hands on the wheel], look straight ahead," he continued. "You tell the officer, you know, you're real respectful, you say you're reaching for your obvious things."

Melvin explained that his perspective on police officers was shaped from the time he was young, recalling one particular moment from his high school years that occurred while he was in the car with his then-girlfriend, the outlet reported.

"I was in a car with my girlfriend and a police officer rolled up on us," he said. "He took her out of the car and told her that I was raping her because he wanted me to go to jail."

Black NASA Astronaut Leland Melvin: Police Are Scarier Than Space | PEOPLE.com

A lot of people don't understand what it means exactly to be black and interact with the police. Cops pull over blacks, simply for being black and for that reason alone.

I remember a poster on this board saying if he had a black son he would treat and talk to his black son the same way as his white son. This is completely out of touch with the real world. For a black kid to be pulled over, it could literally mean life or death. Many cops view blacks as "threats" based on the color of their skin. Now if that black person has a past criminal record? Forget it.

Waiting for the usual suspects to explain to us that Leland Melvin is a dangerous felon.

Sadly most on the right refuse to recognize this as the truth. Haley the other night at the rnc told everyone listening america is not racist. Uh huh.

Sadly most on the right refuse to recognize this as the truth. Haley the other night at the rnc told everyone listening america is not racist. Uh huh.

Some of the comments here about race are pretty scary imo. It is kind of sad a lot of these people's mindset is not really that much different from their parents or grandparents during the civil rights movement.

Black people are pretty lucky that they even exist today... with all that racism, murder, etc against black people.

Black NASA Astronaut Leland Melvin: Police Are Scarier Than Space | PEOPLE.com

A lot of people don't understand what it means exactly to be black and interact with the police. Cops pull over blacks, simply for being black and for that reason alone.

I remember a poster on this board saying if he had a black son he would treat and talk to his black son the same way as his white son. This is completely out of touch with the real world. For a black kid to be pulled over, it could literally mean life or death. Many cops view blacks as "threats" based on the color of their skin. Now if that black person has a past criminal record? Forget it.

The real world is that you can count the number of unarmed black people shot to death by police in a year on one hand. But a narrative has been spun and taught that makes it seem as though no one survives an encounter with police. That fear is based on a lie.

Why was he pulled over, and was he ever beaten or shot?

Back
Top Bottom