• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Minneapolis officers found guilty of violating George Floyd’s civil rights

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
May they rot in prison
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Three former Minneapolis police officers who were at the scene with Derek Chauvin as he pressed his knee into George Floyd’s neck were convicted of violating Floyd’s civil rights in a case that is likely to increase scrutiny over how officers are trained to intervene with rogue colleagues

No paywall -edit add link

Last edited:
Good news!
Here's a link, for those like me, who can't get through the O/P paywall. This story led up to the verdict and shows what they are facing. Possibly lifetime sentences.

A federal jury has reached a verdict in the trial of three former Minneapolis police officers charged with violating the civil rights of George Floyd, a Black man whose death at the hands of police in 2020 spurred protests against systemic racism around the world.

The former officers, J. Alexander Kueng, Thomas Lane and Tou Thao, are charged with depriving Floyd of his civil rights while acting under government authority. Kueng and Thao face an additional charge of not intervening to stop their fellow officer, Derek Chauvin, from using excessive force. They have pleaded not guilty.

If found guilty on the federal charges, Thao, Kueng and Lane could each face up to life in prison, though such a severe punishment is unlikely. A state trial is scheduled for June against the men on charges of aiding and abetting murder and manslaughter.

In closing arguments, prosecutors said the defendants had “front-row seats” to Floyd’s murder and "chose to do nothing" to help him while Chauvin knelt on Floyd’s neck for 9 ½ minutes.

“They chose not to aid George Floyd, as the window into which Mr. Floyd’s life could have been saved slammed shut,” prosecutor Manda Sertich said Tuesday.

Reactions: PoS
Didnt Chauvin get convicted of murder? These guys were accessories, doesnt MN have a felony murder statute?

I would love to think this will have some impact on police actions in the future, causing them to not allow their fellow officers to commit crimes right in front of their own eyes.

If nobody is above the law, that must include police, and I look forward to the day when they're even willing to arrest - or at the very least, report - their fellow officer's crimes.

Didnt Chauvin get convicted of murder? These guys were accessories, doesnt MN have a felony murder statute?

I was just reading on Forbes and they still face the state trial:

In addition to the federal charges, officers Keung, Lane and Thao still face a separate criminal trial in Minnesota scheduled to begin in June, where they have been charged with aiding and abetting second-degree murder and manslaughter.

In that sort of trial the CIA let them out with new identity after a few days .

Bit like Manson when they brought him back for a few hours only for occasional interviews .

So all these guys are up for the federal death penalty! Awesome!!!! Maybe they can all get death for this conviction and then get death again in the state trial. If everything goes right and we get enough convictions we can just have them killed every week for 90 years. We could make a Netflix series out of it and give all the proceeds to Floyd's family. Justice in America is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Felony murder only applies if those involved actively conspired to commit a felony beforehand. They did not.

Felony murder only applies if those involved actively conspired to commit a felony beforehand. They did not.

I dont think that's accurate because they convict drivers that didnt know the murderers were going to kill anyone or even commit a crime.

OTOH tho, it's a state-level statute and this was a federal trial.

I dont think that's accurate because they convict drivers that didnt know the murderers were going to kill anyone or even commit a crime.

OTOH tho, it's a state-level statute and this was a federal trial.
The statute requires a conspiracy to commit a felony. If someone can demonstrate they were not part of the conspiracy, felony murder does not apply. The cases to which you refer invariably result from the driver who claims he didn't sign on for the murder of the patron or security guard, just the bank robbery.

Interesting side note: If one of the conspirators is killed by law enforcement or security in the process of the felony, the co-conspirators can be prosecuted for felony murder for that death.

The statute requires a conspiracy to commit a felony. If someone can demonstrate they were not part of the conspiracy, felony murder does not apply. The cases to which you refer invariably result from the driver who claims he didn't sign on for the murder of the patron or security guard, just the bank robbery.

THey have convicted drivers that had no idea a crime was planned. And if they drove, they are considered 'part of the conspiracy' then I guess. And no, I remember at least 2 where they went to homes, one was a robbery, and the driver claimed to have no idea what was planned. Or if anything was planned.

Interesting side note: If one of the conspirators is killed by law enforcement or security in the process of the felony, the co-conspirators can be prosecuted for felony murder for that death.

Yes I know.

THey have convicted drivers that had no idea a crime was planned. And if they drove, they are considered 'part of the conspiracy' then I guess. And no, I remember at least 2 where they went to homes, one was a robbery, and the driver claimed to have no idea what was planned. Or if anything was planned.

Yes I know.
And in that case, the prosecutor didn't buy their tale of woe.

And in that case, the prosecutor didn't buy their tale of woe.

You assume they did know. IMO, from the interviews I've seen, not all did.

But yes, the prosecutor didnt believe them.

While I think Thao and Keung deserve punishment, I thought Lane did at least question Chauvin, so he deserves perhaps a lighter sentence than the other two.

Back
Top Bottom