• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Former Maine cops get jail time for killing porcupines

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

Two former Maine cops were sentenced to hard time for beating porcupines to death with their batons while on duty.

Michael Rolerson, 31, was sentenced Thursday to 270 days in jail, with all but 20 days suspended, fined $1,000 and required to do community service, according to the Bangor Daily News.

Addison Cox, 28, was hit with 90 days in jail, with all but 10 suspended, fined $1,000 and given six months of probation, the outlet said.
===================================
Dumb & dumber. But why only porcupines?

Good. Anyone who tortures animals to death deserves to be in jail. The fact that so much of their sentence was suspended is outrageous.
It's the first time I've heard of anyone going to jail at all for animal abuse. Porcupines? Good for Maine! Never knew our judges cared.

These porcupines were probably making a nuisance of themselves, filling dogs' snouts with quills. They could have trapped them, though, or found someone else to do it, and taken them elsewhere.

Very tempting to make some comment about cops getting worse punishment for beating porcupines than for beating black people....

Very tempting to make some comment about cops getting worse punishment for beating porcupines than for beating black people....
It's much harder to find black people in Rockland than porcupines.

These porcupines were probably making a nuisance of themselves, filling dogs' snouts with quills. They could have trapped them, though, or found someone else to do it, and taken them elsewhere.
So you are justifying their abuse, even while acknowledging there are more humane options? What the hell?

Justifying inhumane abuse in the name of expedience?

It's much harder to find black people in Rockland than porcupines.
I lived years in New Hamster & only saw a black face once & he was driving. In the big migration N after the Civil War, they mostly went into the Midwest, not the far NE. Too cold, for one thing,

Last edited:
Well, hey. At least they didn't kneel on their knecks for 10 minutes till they died.

So you are justifying their abuse, even while acknowledging there are more humane options? What the hell?

Lursa, I did not justify their abuse. See Post 4.
What's up with you lately, anyway? I'm not your enemy.

I lived years in New Hamster & only saw a black face once & he was driving. In the big migration N after the Civil War, they mostly went into the Midwest, not the far NE. Too cold, for one thing,
No jobs, either.

I'm just commenting on why they were possibly 'hunting' them in the first place. The articles don't give us much information, but even in Maine, hunting targeted at porcupines isn't something I've ever heard of. It's odd.

Well, hey. At least they didn't kneel on their knecks for 10 minutes till they died.
That would have resulted in some very painful knees.

Lursa, I did not justify their abuse. See Post 4.
What's up with you lately, anyway? I'm not your enemy.
Post 4 says nothing about the inhumanity of their actions, it refers to law.

And yes, you DID attempt to justify their actions, discussing how they were probably nuisances.

I'm just commenting on why they were possibly 'hunting' them in the first place. The articles don't give us much information, but even in Maine, hunting targeted at porcupines isn't something I've ever heard of. It's odd.
Yup, justifying their expedience. Or...your speculation is baseless and inflammatory and now you admit you've never even heard of such there :rolleyes:

Good ****ing lord!

Post 4 says nothing about the inhumanity of their actions, it refers to law.

And yes, you DID attempt to justify their actions, discussing how they were probably nuisances.
Yes GOOD ON MAINE AND THE JUDGES FOR THROWING THEM IN JAIL ETC.

That would be because....?

That's not the entirety of your post. It's taken in its entirety when read however.

Maybe you just write what comes into your head without examining it first? A 'stream of conscious' kinda thing?

Maybe a little editing would help.

Yup, justifying their expedience. Or...your speculation is baseless and inflammatory and now you admit you've never even heard of such there :rolleyes:

Good ****ing lord!
So sorry I didn't scream OH THE INHUMANITY loud enough for you.
My fault, my fault, my most grievous fault...

Interesting that they attacked porcupines. Porcupines tend to want to avoid people.

Now if it were aggressive raccoons, then I might understand that. Raccoons can be really, really, nasty creatures. I once had to dispatch a racoon (probably rabid) with long piece of steel tubing. Literally had to beat it to death, and it didn't go easy, it kept trying to attack me in my own backyard. Luckily the steel tube was nearby, it was a leftover piece from steel door I installed on the garage. At first I just used it to poke/jab at the attacking raccoon, eventually I had to go full Ted Williams on him. Took about 8 strong blows to finally kill the thing. Those things are mean and nasty creatures.

But a porcupine??? That would be like clubbing an opossum. I have NEVER seen a porcupine attack a person, or a dog for that matter. They may stand their ground when a dog bothers them, but you pretty much get a warning from a porcupine to just stay away.

I don't like killing wild life if at all possible. I have not hunted large mammals since coming back from the service. Raccoons, foxes, pigs, etc., that tear up my yard or go after animals are fair game. But to torture and kill because someone must have been raised in a ****hole makes me see red.

If that happens it's the dog's fault, not the porcupine's.

A buddy and I were walking down a road in Rumford Me. one day back in the mid 70's and we came up on a house where a guy was trying to beat on a porcupine who was half way under his front steps using a steel garden rake. My buddy wanted to beat the shit out of the guy and it was all I could do to keep him off the guy.

We finally convinced the guy to him stop hurting the poor thing and we promised to relocate it. My friend ran home and got a fishing net and a apple crate. It took us about 30 minutes to get him in the net, and then we found the his right front paw was really mangled.

He ended up keeping the Porcupine as a pet and named him "tripod" because the paw never healed right. The thing got around pretty good on 3 legs and he kept it for about 12 years before it died from old age. I couldn't believe how lovable and domesticated Tripod was. He was spoiled rotten and would raise hell when ever it was feeding time, or he would just want some attention and sit there gibbering away at everyone's feet.

Back
Top Bottom